Sponsored

Offered an R for $5K over

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Unfortunately for those looking to go from a regular GT350 to an R, I think the Regulars trade value will go down faster than R's ADMs.

Which stinks as I want do it. I wish I had waited a little longer and started with an R.
Sponsored

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
I think I'd go at $54K.. With tax savings it would work I think. But I'm still reluctant because I have had to think whether it's worth it in the long run to me.

$68K +$5KADM = $73K. Trade value currently $52K, so that's an extra $21,000+ for the upgrade (And again, my car is essentially new).

Makes you wonder if that $21K+ is better put somewhere else at this point where the market is softening all the way around on GT350's. No reason not to just enjoy the hell out of my car and use the $$ for tires and other goodies... but man, the allure of the "R" still has me mesmerized. :lol:
As your unofficial fiduciary, I recommend you put that $21k in the market....diversified of course.

As an owner of a GT350, for the love of Ford, go buy that race car.

I would say this is a good problem to have....you win no matter how it plays out.

Good luck

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I'm with [MENTION=9260]stanglife[/MENTION] you're paying 10k ADM with that shitty trade offer. however, if you have it and want that color...YOLO

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
Tell them $54K and buy it. The R is awesome, you won't regret it.
An "R" is awesome....no doubt. I am not certain it's worth the extra cash IMO. If you're purely tracking a car then I would say yes. If you're driving on the street often then I would have to say no. Different wing, different rims, slightly wider tires, no back seat, different diffuser, different rate springs. I don't know if the juice is worth the extra squeeze for the ADM. Just an opinion. Like I said if you're tracking then it makes sense...........maybe. The last "R" car from 2000 had a completely different engine, etc. This generation "R" has the same drivetrain.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
An "R" is awesome....no doubt. I am not certain it's worth the extra cash IMO. If you're purely tracking a car then I would say yes. If you're driving on the street often then I would have to say no. Different wing, different rims, slightly wider tires, no back seat, different diffuser, different rate springs. I don't know if the juice is worth the extra squeeze for the ADM. Just an opinion. Like I said if you're tracking then it makes sense...........maybe. The last "R" car from 2000 had a completely different engine, etc. This generation "R" has the same drivetrain.
I would have liked to see the R have an extra 20-24hp honestly, akin to the GT3 and GT3 RS how they have done it. That said, the last R did have a different engine which made it very different, but the big difference here is the carbon wheels. Believe it or not, they are IMO probably make as big a difference if not a bigger difference to the car's driving dynamics as a whole even compared to the last R that had a different engine.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
21k gets r springs, sways, forgelines, tires and track time. you don't have to baby your rims, or buy tires asap to get more than 6k miles. plenty of money left for suspension upgrades and a magnaride tuner. grab some headers and a tune and don't look back. left over money buys track time.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
That's your opinion, but have you driven an R? Not to mention if it even becomes a collectable, which it probably won't. Only the R will. People won't care for tech or track packs. Dime a dozen where exclusive and rare is what people want. I agree a GT350 is better than no GT350, but an R only for track is not realistic. I daily drive mine when possible and I love it. I feel like I'm driving something special, that very few people have. OP, do what you want, only you know of you have to extra coin, but the difference in price of the GT350 to the R won't even buy you the R's wheels ($18,000) or real wing ($10,000) or diffuser ($1,700) or rear seat delete ($900). Not to mention it's exclusivity. Either way good luck.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
21k gets r springs, sways, forgelines, tires and track time. you don't have to baby your rims, or buy tires asap to get more than 6k miles. plenty of money left for suspension upgrades and a magnaride tuner. grab some headers and a tune and don't look back. left over money buys track time.
Agreed, with the extra coin you can buy a carbon fiber look alike R wing and diffuser. Some nice wheels with MPSS that last longer that than 5k miles like the CUP 2's. The sway bars are the same according to the supplement handbook for the GT350's. Only the springs are different, but an upgrade over stock would be a good idea as I will be buying an upgraded front and rear sway bars. A CORTEX DSC magnaride controller is a great idea, it's on my wish list for this month. Headers and a tune will completely void your warranty for your powertrain so proceed with caution. I don't baby my rims and they are fine, it's easy to drive with caution and keep them safe. In the end you don't have a FR, GR or HR plate on the dash with a red R.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The jump from non-R to R is worth it. No regrets. I don't ever think I wish I had my non-R back and saved some $.

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
That's your opinion, but have you driven an R? Not to mention if it even becomes a collectable, which it probably won't. Only the R will. People won't care for tech or track packs. Dime a dozen where exclusive and rare is what people want. I agree a GT350 is better than no GT350, but an R only for track is not realistic. I daily drive mine when possible and I love it. I feel like I'm driving something special, that very few people have. OP, do what you want, only you know of you have to extra coin, but the difference in price of the GT350 to the R won't even buy you the R's wheels ($18,000) or real wing ($10,000) or diffuser ($1,700) or rear seat delete ($900). Not to mention it's exclusivity. Either way good luck.
I have driven an "R". Like I said. I am not slamming it at all. And the "R" will be the most desirable of the two with regards to collectibility. If you can find an "R" with no ADM the juice is definitely worth the squeeze. If you have to pay ADM then IMO the juices not worth the squeeze. Only time will tell how valuable the GT350 become or not. I can say I did the research there have been less Gt350's made each year than 1969 or 1970 Boss 302's. That isn't the only thing the drives desirability but it is a good start. I could go back and look at an SVO Mustang and they never caught on and went in value and they were also certainly low in numbers.

For me, I liked the value of he GT350. I was able to not pay any ADM and if i decide to trade in for a 2019 Mach 1, Boss 429, GT500 or whatever they will call the next car, I won't lose my shirt due to ADM. That's my point. paying ADM on a car you may or may not keep, is not a good idea. Unless of course you have deep pockets, which I do not. LOL

Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Had a dealer call me and offer me $5K over on a Lightning blue R that I had been watching.. they are willing to offer $52K on my 2017 sight unseen (about 400 miles on it, loaded 2017 w/electronics package).

Thing is, I am not sure I really care right now to get rid of my GT350 and pay the extra for the "R". I may be crazy, but I like my GT350 so much that I'm probably going to pass for the extra cash I'd have to pay. If I hadn't bought my non-R, I would jump on the R now though.

So the deals are out there for sure right now if you keep looking! I think prices are starting to level off some.

I'm just waiting for the offer of one at MSRP to get here... with a fair trade offer, THEN I might jump?
I would like to call them. $5K over for an R and in a color I like. Just built a custom home but I've got about 35 saved for my future toy....can you PM dealer info?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Or, take them up on the 5K ADM offer, don't trade the car, sell your car privately or just keep it. That's what I'm going to do.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Or, take them up on the 5K ADM offer, don't trade the car, sell your car privately or just keep it. That's what I'm going to do.
^This

If you can swing the funds you'll get a better deal privately, just have to decide if it's worth your effort. Or go with a consignment lot or broker and have them do the show work for you (for fee).

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
The jump from non-R to R is worth it. No regrets. I don't ever think I wish I had my non-R back and saved some $.
^100%. I don't miss my track pack at all after buying the R. W/ that being said, don't do it. If you don't have the funds to comfortably buy the R and take a loss on your current car, then don't. The R is definitely worth it, just not worth it to go upside down on your payments.

edit:
Also, if you have to wonder about a $5k adm offer on a new R, then you probably shouldn't be considering this anyways (unless you're just overly conservative w/ your money). I figure if you're in a position to entertain the thought of buying this car, then you would've done it already. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people on this forum would have as well.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
[...] the difference in price of the GT350 to the R won't even buy you the R's wheels ($18,000) [...]
Just a point of clarification... OEM carbon fiber "R" wheels cost nowhere near $18,000 for a set. Here are the part numbers:

Front: FR3Z-1007-S -- $2,266.00 from AutoNation White Bear Lake
Rear: FR3Z-1007-R -- $2,675.20 from AutoNation White Bear Lake

That's under $10k for the set.
Sponsored