Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m installing new struts next weekend and am curious of the durability and longevity of my OEM strut mounts. Any known major or recurring issues?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I’m installing new struts next weekend and am curious of the durability and longevity of my OEM strut mounts. Any known major or recurring issues?

Thanks,

Mike
When they wear out, they can develop a creaking noise at low speeds. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. Why not camber plates while you're in there?

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
When they wear out, they can develop a creaking noise at low speeds. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. Why not camber plates while you're in there?
Thanks for the info. It for sure crossed my mind to get plates; I’m just weighing out all of the choices. With new OEM bits being a good percentage of what plates cost, I’ll probably get the plates so I can get back to -2.0 on the street.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea how well camber plates hold up against road salt? I move to upstate NY soon and will be knee deep(or more) in the white stuff. Thanks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea how well camber plates hold up against road salt? I move to upstate NY soon and will be knee deep(or more) in the white stuff. Thanks.
Protect with fluid film or amsoil heavy metal protect.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Replace them while you’re in there. It seriously sucks to have to pull everything apart if they do go bad.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I may regret not going more aggressive with plates, but I opted to buy new OEM mounts to replace the old.

A fun fact is that there are two options in the Ford catalog for non-magnaride and non-Shelby mustangs: w/Performance Package and not.

I did a bit more digging, and the performance package mount has a stiffer bushing. It appears the non-PP mount only went on 2015s; in 2016 the PP mount went on all models less Shelby/magnaride.

If you have a non-MR GT, Ecoboost, or V6, get the PP version. The non-PP and PP options:

full.jpg

Here’s what to get:

Part #: FR3Z-3A197-B (Two of these; there is no difference between left and right).

Link to the PP strut mounts:

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...8-gas/front-suspension--struts-and-components

Thanks to @GregO ’s intel, it is also recommended to replace the upper spring seats. These seats contain bearings that wear over time. There is only one part used for the whole Mustang fleet: FR3Z-5A306-A.

Link:

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-upper-seat-fr3z5a306a

The value between ordering the parts independently versus ordering the Ford Performance Strut Mount kit (PP mounts + upper spring seats) is very competitive. My recommendation is to weigh in taxes and shipping to your location (or if parts are available at your local dealer) before making a decision either way. Here’s a link to the FRPP kit:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...kABF4YN5zrOG3fRtBWcIOa4s-9iaTTd8aAkykEALw_wcB

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
steer away from big box parts dealers that sell the “Ford Performance Strut Mounts”...they are just rebranded PP mounts sold for double the price.
Don’t forget to get new strut bearings to go with the strut mounts. They are separate Ford items.
The Ford Performance strut mount kit includes the strut bearings along with the strut mount with the added benefit of higher durometer rubber components.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t forget to get new strut bearings to go with the strut mounts. They are separate Ford items.
The Ford Performance strut mount kit includes the strut bearings along with the strut mount with the added benefit of higher durometer rubber components.
I wasn’t tracking bearings were part of the equation at all. I know the Ford Performance mount kit also comes with the upper rubber spring retainer, but nothing else.

Can you elaborate? Part numbers? Thanks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure he's talking about the spring isolator.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I know the Ford Performance mount kit also comes with the upper rubber spring retainer, but nothing else.
The upper spring retainer your referencing has a rotary thrust bearing mounted in the inside diameter of the rubber spring retainer.

Open your link and scroll to item #10. The green colored plastic piece located on the inside of the black rubber contains the rotary thrust bearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The upper spring retainer your referencing has a rotary thrust bearing mounted in the inside diameter of the rubber spring retainer.

Open your link and scroll to item #10. The green colored plastic piece located on the inside of the black rubber contains the rotary thrust bearing.
That’s good intel. I assumed the rubber insulator wouldn’t have a bearing or anything to the sort within it. Thanks.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That’s good intel. I assumed the rubber insulator wouldn’t have a bearing or anything to the sort within it. Thanks.
Yeah, it’s an important replaceable wear item that’s often overlooked due to Fords enigmatic item description.
The Ford Performance Strut mount kit from CJ is priced about the same as individual Ford components.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it’s an important replaceable wear item that’s often overlooked due to Fords enigmatic item description.
The Ford Performance Strut mount kit from CJ is priced about the same as individual Ford components.
full.png

Looking at the part itself, I for sure don’t see a bearing. Considering the spring just seats into this, I can’t imagine it would wear fast.

I agree that the Ford Performance kit, when including these, isn’t actually overpriced (touché). But is it really necessary to spend an extra $66 + shipping to acquire these pieces with only 23k miles?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Looking at the part itself, I for sure don’t see a bearing.
It’s there, the green plastic has ball bearings arranged underneath in a circle towards the outer diameter which contact the metal plate that the rubber spring isolator / retainer is bonded to.
The green plastic race is what allows the strut and spring assembly to rotate against the strut chassis mount while turning.
Sponsored

Last edited: