HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Last weekend, I got out of my 2016 GT and touch locked the doors. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat. When I returned, the door would not unlock when I grabbed the handle. After grabbing it several times with no luck, my wife unlocked the doors from inside before I went for my fob. I got in but when I closed the door the horn started blaring until I pushed the start button. My wife did have her fob in her purse.

If normal, I'm not understanding Ford's logic for the behavior.
Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
idk man but I have an extra security package of some kind on my car. bought the car used. it drives me insane sometimes. i go to get in the car and ill lock on its own right after i hit the unlock button. i think it's b/c of the way i touched the door handle when i went to get in. last night I went to wipe down the car in the garage and the horn starts blaring and alarm going off and my keys were in my coat pocket inside the house on my dresser. sometimes it'll beep twice when I get in before I start it, other times it does not. i don't get it. i miss the days of you push the button to lock it and it locks. u push the button to unlock it and it unlocks. that's it. oh and when im wiping down the doors it goes nuts. constantly tries to lock itself over and over and unlocks if i have the fob in my pocket which i have to in case the alarm starts going off.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about the horn blaring part, but the door handle can definitely lock and unlock the car and sometimes when I want it to unlock, I just hear the locks trying to engage again. When I'm washing my car and take the microfiber around that area, it happens unlocks and locks over and over.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't know about the horn blaring part, but the door handle can definitely lock and unlock the car and sometimes when I want it to unlock, I just hear the locks trying to engage again. When I'm washing my car and take the microfiber around that area, it happens unlocks and locks over and over.
In this case, there was no reaction to my touch.

I know what you mean about unwanted reaction. When I ordered the Mustang, I thought it was a nice touch to not have to press a physical button on the door handle like my Cadillac. Thought it was nice until I got it home from the dealer. I told them NOT to wash the car after it was unloaded from the truck, so went to wash it as soon as I got home. When water got sprayed on either door handle, the lights would flash and the door would lock or unlock. LoL. Now I know why Cadillac puts the little buttons on the handles. So, I put on a light show whenever I wash the Mustang because I want to have the fob in my pocket where it is close enough to enable the door handle touch feature.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
i believe this to be because a fob was inside the car when you locked/unlocked the car and the fob was close enough to the interior sensor. it confused the car. possibly thinking it was broken into through the window?

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've had something similar. On my lunch break I typically take a quick nap in my car. Twice now, upon waking and opening the door, the alarm starting blaring and refused to turn off until I hit the start button of the car. No inputs from the fob would stop it. I didn't lock the car, arm the alarm, and I had the fob on me. Fortunately it has only happened twice, because it's embarrassing.

Maybe things just get confused, as said above.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My swipe lock/un-lock doesn't work when there's moisture. Like when it's raining. Any H2o on the handle and it doesn't work.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
The Lock-Unlock magic of the door handles is only effective when the fob is relatively close to the handle itself. I think the Users' Manual says three feet. I don't know if there is an azimuth restriction. The horn-honking is likely the system advising you there has been an attmpted breach of security.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
In this case, there was no reaction to my touch.
Was the car locked or unlocked when you walked up to it from the outside? If it was unlocked and you touched the wrong part of the handle it's going to lock the door.

If the car is locked, you don't have to touch anything, as it should unlock when it senses the FOB. If your wife also had a FOB inside the car that could confuse the whole situation, especially if she locked the doors when you got out.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Last weekend, I got out of my 2016 GT and touch locked the doors. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat. When I returned, the door would not unlock when I grabbed the handle. After grabbing it several times with no luck, my wife unlocked the doors from inside before I went for my fob. I got in but when I closed the door the horn started blaring until I pushed the start button. My wife did have her fob in her purse.

If normal, I'm not understanding Ford's logic for the behavior.

Why it would not unlock I don't know, but when you touch locked the doors, it also armed the alarm. When your wife used the unlock button it obviously only unlocked the doors, but did not disable the alarm, so when you opened the door it triggered the alarm. Why the alarm didn't go off until you closed the door, don't know. Definitely sounds like there might be an issue. It possibly got confused when your fob left the car, but the doors got unlocked from the inside, and possibly because the second fob was in the car....I guess try to replicate it....

Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I’ll be dang. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I had no idea I didn’t need to even use the remote buttons if I have the fob on me. It automatically unlocks and then you use your thumb to lock once you shut the door. I’m an idiot lol

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Was the car locked or unlocked when you walked up to it from the outside? If it was unlocked and you touched the wrong part of the handle it's going to lock the door.
I locked the car when I got out. Locking or unlocking make clear sounds from the moving parts. There were no sounds when I touched to unlock.

If the car is locked, you don't have to touch anything, as it should unlock when it senses the FOB.
Maybe 2015 was different. In 2016 you have to actually touch the handle before it unlocks. It does not unlock just from a fob being close.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I locked the car when I got out. Locking or unlocking make clear sounds from the moving parts. There were no sounds when I touched to unlock.
Where did you touch it to unlock? Was the car still running when it was locked, or was it shut off?

Again, with the FOB your wife had in the car, it's possible that it's not going to respond to your FOB and unlock the door. I'd try the same experiment again without a 2nd FOB in the car.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe 2015 was different. In 2016 you have to actually touch the handle before it unlocks. It does not unlock just from a fob being close.
Try standing next to the locked car for about 3~5 seconds with the FOB, and listen for the door to unlock without touching the handle.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Where did you touch it to unlock? Was the car still running when you locked it, or was it shut off?
Was shut off. Not understanding the question about where I touched it to lock it. The same place I always touch to lock it. There are grooves on the handle. And it DID lock; I heard the lock happen; I saw the turn indicators on the hood flash. Plus the door would not open when I pulled on the handle. There is no question about it being locked.

I'd try the same experiment again without a 2nd FOB in the car.
That is the situation 99% of the time I have ever got in the car. Most of the time I am alone. The other times, I get in before any passenger who may or may not have a fob with them. This was literally the only time I tried to get into the locked car with anyone else inside it.
Sponsored