Sponsored

Non DD FI Decision

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Been researching and pondering my FI decision and thought I had it nailed down to a procharger but today watched several vids that really have me questioning that decision. Specifically on the power delivery. Pls reality check my thinking on this:

For a NON daily driver, good weather, weekend toy, M1 6sp. One of the biggest advantages is the procharger is the exponential boost growth, meaning no boost at low RPMs making the car very much like stock around town. Good manners in the rain and inclement weather, less wear and tear on the motor and drivetrain, better mileage, etc. awesome for daily drivers, right?

The pro or con depending how you look at it for PD blowers is the linear boost so there’s boost at all RPMs, making the car behave as if it’s got a larger displacement motor all the time. Not so good for traffic or bad weather but power instantly on demand.
so in a car whos only job is to put a smile on my face, it seems the PD blower would be the better way since it’s down sides don’t apply to my driving situation mirroring the fact that the upsides of a centri blower advantages don’t apply to my driving situation. Does this make sense?
Sponsored

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It does make sense. I have always heard a PD blower and a stick are an absolute blast to drive on the street. I think the biggest con of PD blower is prob the heat depending on the set up. If you decide on a centri there other brands i would consider.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
... no boost at low RPMs making the car very much like stock around town. Good manners in the rain and inclement weather, less wear and tear on the motor and drivetrain, better mileage, etc. awesome for daily drivers, right?
I've read this so many times...but I can't come to terms with it for a couple of reasons. 1. The PD blowers are completely predicable. It's not like you get 10 psi boost unexpectedly at 1/3 throttle and 2000 rpm. Yes, if the road is wet and you're on drag radials, I wouldn't recommend going to 3/4 throttle in 1st (though TC and AT will bring it back into line quickly), but I wouldn't do that stock either. 2. If that's your main concern, it is VERY easy for a tuner to make the torque response exactly like stock up to a pre-determined pedal and/or rpm. IIRC the GT500 is actually done this way; I think up to about 1/2 throttle the torque vs pedal is identical to a stock GT. I've actually done this before with my whipple just for the fun of it, but I prefer lots of torque at low rpm so I didn't leave it like this for long.

20 years ago, the PD blowers were limited to about 500 hp and they were inefficient. Centrif was the way to go if you wanted more than that because they would support more airflow and were more efficient, but you knew you were sacrificing low-end torque. You might choose a cam, displacement, or compression to offset the lack of low-rpm boost. But nowadays, the PD blowers are very efficient and capable of well over 1000 hp, so that reasoning is out the window.

That said, the centrif's are easier to install I am told. A PD kit will take a solid day to day and a half to install. I've heard a centrif can be done in one day before lunch, so that may be a factor.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
If you plan on using MT R drag radials, it will not do well in the rain with even as an ecoboost. I'm a fan of the centri, as that is what I have. It works well on the street and I like how the power builds; but there are ways around that with a PD as stated above. It is probably a little easier with the centri as it is how they make power. There should be less tuning required to get that behavior (if you a tuner who uses canned tunes you won't have to get them to do a unique tune for you). I did add some spray to mine, more than makes up for any "lack" of torque.

OP
OP
Prodigal

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
No drag radials for me. Bought the m1 for the handling and while an occasional stop light boogie is likely, it won’t be what I want the car set up for. Basically spirited driving on rural highways and less traveled twistys.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I will always prefer centri style. It doesn`t matter if its on a daily driver or not. The thrill of boost building and noises are so much more exhilarating. I cannot stress this enough, the noises it makes alone are worth it.

Reactions: MCS

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
No drag radials for me.
You're going to hate that......

Spinning isn't winning, and you're going to spin whenever you want to apply any aggressive power. Especially with a handling orientated suspension. Just an FYI

DR's have come a long way, and many sizes are offered. Even many 19-20" / 30-35 aspect ratio sizes, that will still allow great handling in the rear.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

Spinning isn't winning, and you're going to spin whenever you want to apply any aggressive power. Especially with a handling orientated suspension. Just an FYI

DR's have come a long way, and many sizes are offered. Even many 19-20" / 30-35 aspect ratio sizes, that will still allow great handling in the rear.
Agreed. Even the Nitto NT555 G2s in the rear were spinning at STOCK power. With the supercharger, I'd burn them off in no time under heavy acceleration. RIIs do the trick however you can still light them up if you step too heavy.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
When the time comes for me to go FI, it will be a Procharger. I had one on my 03 M1 it was a blast, but as @Cory S mentioned you will be spinning through 3 gears without drag radials.

The install is fairly easy, you will retain your intake and strut tower brace as well. Driving in town was super easy light to light, and when you wanted the boost it was there when you needed it.

All of the centrifugal companies out today make good ones, it depends on how much you want to spend. $9500 for a complete stage 2 kit for our cars if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your decision. You will be pleased regardless which way you go.

OP
OP
Prodigal

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

Thanks for the reality check. Did a little research and yeah there’s some drag radials I would run. My mind went immediately to a tall classic Mickey or similar but the nitto looks like a decent option or even the MT drag ET SS. I just want to be sure I don’t throw away all the handling ability by going with a true 1 dimensional tire

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Typically people will respond recommending the power adder they are running. It’s just how it goes with these types of threads. Which is basically what I’m going to do. haha!

Totally agree that it’s hard to beat the fun factor of a stick car with a PD blower. My whipple car is an obsolete blast on the street. It can drive exactly like stock with a well behaved right foot. I drive in awful traffic around me and once you get used to how fast the car responds, it’s no issue at all. I drive my car everywhere. I like doing short blasts without having to wind it all the way out. It’s truly impressive how responsive the car is.

Yes, drag radials are a must. I too run the Nitto 555R2s in the rear and they do pretty decent.

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Have you looked at some toyo proxes r888r's? good traction and stiff sidewall. i hated nittos. They had great life thou. the mt et streets were my go to tire for the size i was able to run but now i hear good things about the toyo proxes r888r for handling as well as traction. handling sucks on 45+ aspect ratio tires IMHO.

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
You hated the new 555 r2’s?? The old 555r’s weren’t very good in my opinion but the r2’s have been great.

Have you looked at some toyo proxes r888r's? good traction and stiff sidewall. i hated nittos. They had great life thou. the mt et streets were my go to tire for the size i was able to run but now i hear good things about the toyo proxes r888r for handling as well as traction. handling sucks on 45+ aspect ratio tires IMHO.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You hated the new 555 r2’s?? The old 555r’s weren’t very good in my opinion but the r2’s have been great.
My old 555R's held 760whp with a manual tranny tremendously good......With just a 285/35/18. 1st gear almost dead hooked on the street as well...

The 555R ll's are the same compound as the older 555R's. Just more efficient tread design for slightly better asphalt grip and water deflection.

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Ty, i have not tried the v2 as such i dont want to throw shade on something i havent even used. My experience is with the older version. I switched to MT 2-3 years ago. before that from 17 onward was the nitto 555 DR. how much better are the V2 over a MT et st?
Sponsored