Sponsored

No remote start on manual 2019?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Because it requires the car to be parked in neutral instead of in gear, and would have to say so in the manual (instead of saying to park in '1' as the manual currently does).

If the manual told people to park in neutral, the first time someone limp-wristed the parking brake resulting in the car rolling downhill and over a little kid even a mediocre lawyer would successfully sue Ford's hind legs off.
hunh..?

Before the car will remote start, it has to be in neutral and not in gear, with the parking brake on. How is that any different to when you manually start your manual car..?

Subsequently, how badly Someone drives the car, or what they do "stupidly" after the car starts... is on the driver. Has nothing to do with Ford.
Sponsored

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
Id like to slap in the OEM remote start module, and just see if it works with the manual (first by sitting in the car, pushing in the clutch)... if that DID work, you could fig out a way to temporarily disengage the clutch switch and check that the Ebrake is pulled up.

im just not willing to spend $200 bucks to try it out. think anyone would "lend" a module out? or if someone has free returns....

only concern i have at this point, is when you try to use the plug and play module, it will see that the car isnt an automatic via the programming, and just not work.

1Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt Convertible
I knew a stereo installer who put a remote start on his 94 Z28 manual shift. Left it in gear forgetting and when he went to start it it drove through the brick wall at the stereo shop where he worked at. Wish I had pics. Lots of hoops to jump through to make sure the car can't start in gear. Then too many conditions need to be met so it can be remotely started if you do have one installed.........PROPERLY
Yup,
The last car I had was a 6 speed manual 2017 SS Camaro and I never used the E-Brake and left it in gear all the time to stop it from rolling. I was likely better off to NOT have remote start.
Pretty flat where I live in WI.

Bear

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I'm curious. I hear all these the car started up and took off and ran through walls and stores and such stories. Every Manual I have owned if I brainfarted and tried to start it while in gear it just lurched and stalled. I have never had a car start and just take off. Im talking older cars where you didn't have to depress the clutch to start. On newer cars where that has to be by passed to auto start would it not just do same lurch and then stall? or is there something different on new cars that would make them just up and take off? I'm not kidding go find an older car without the clutch safety and try to start it in gear. You ain't going far. Plus I would think with today's tech they could make an auto start that simply would not start if car was detected in gear anyway. Car would have to left in neutral with parking brake on or auto start would not work.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Because it requires the car to be parked in neutral instead of in gear, and would have to say so in the manual (instead of saying to park in '1' as the manual currently does).

If the manual told people to park in neutral, the first time someone limp-wristed the parking brake resulting in the car rolling downhill and over a little kid even a mediocre lawyer would successfully sue Ford's hind legs off.
Would this not be the same as guns don't kill people, people do. It's not the manufacturer fault how you use or misuse the product. It's not Fords fault if you don't know how to use a parking brake.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Would this not be the same as guns don't kill people, people do. It's not the manufacturer fault how you use or misuse the product. It's not Fords fault if you don't know how to use a parking brake.
I didn't say it was right, I said it would happen. In addition, gun manufacturers are explicitly exempted from such suit by federal law. Ford wouldn't be.

Past that, Ford telling you to leave it in neutral would be a single point of failure event. The parallel with a firearm would be where a single point failure (say of the safety) would still require some other action. And even then, if someone was shot because a safety failed, I am sure to a moral certainty that the manufacturer of the firearm would be sued.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious. I hear all these the car started up and took off and ran through walls and stores and such stories. Every Manual I have owned if I brainfarted and tried to start it while in gear it just lurched and stalled. I have never had a car start and just take off. Im talking older cars where you didn't have to depress the clutch to start..
My 1970 Mach 1 had a clutch failure at one point. To get it from where I was to my mechanic, I bumped the starter with the car in gear and it kicked right off in first to drive away. All it takes is an engine with enough low end torque. The 351C back in the day had plenty.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm curious. I hear all these the car started up and took off and ran through walls and stores and such stories. Every Manual I have owned if I brainfarted and tried to start it while in gear it just lurched and stalled. I have never had a car start and just take off. Im talking older cars where you didn't have to depress the clutch to start. On newer cars where that has to be by passed to auto start would it not just do same lurch and then stall? or is there something different on new cars that would make them just up and take off? I'm not kidding go find an older car without the clutch safety and try to start it in gear. You ain't going far. Plus I would think with today's tech they could make an auto start that simply would not start if car was detected in gear anyway. Car would have to left in neutral with parking brake on or auto start would not work.
Well sir, I could not factually tell you to be honest. But making a Layman's guesstimation, I would assume several things. Higher torque starters today vice back in the days of yore (I'm no spring chicken either btw) would have the potential to turn a car over easier today. Add HEI to the equation and there is greater potential over an old distributor w/ points ignitions system to provide better spark even under starting conditions with the car in gear. FI over Carb may also help the scenario to occur over an older vehicle. All of this and/or other reasons may be one of the reasons why they started adding a clutch switch that required the driver to push the clutch in before starting a vehicle at some point in the late 70's to early 80's. I remember my first vehicle that required me to push the clutch in to start the car. I also remember my dads work car that did not require the clutch to be engaged to try to start the car. Again just am opinion based on nothing factual.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm curious. I hear all these the car started up and took off and ran through walls and stores and such stories. Every Manual I have owned if I brainfarted and tried to start it while in gear it just lurched and stalled. I have never had a car start and just take off. Im talking older cars where you didn't have to depress the clutch to start. On newer cars where that has to be by passed to auto start would it not just do same lurch and then stall? or is there something different on new cars that would make them just up and take off?
Most EFI systems include a 'stall-saver' routine of some sort that at least prevents stalling when some anticipated amount of load is suddenly applied. Probably more information in the linked thread that came up on an internet-wide search.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt-stall-prevention.79622/page-3

I'm not kidding go find an older car without the clutch safety and try to start it in gear. You ain't going far.
Maybe, maybe not. I know for a fact that in some cars you could bump the car along on the starter just enough to get it to 'catch'. Think in terms of clutch control cable failure. FWIW, the one car that I know for sure could do that was carbureted.

Plus I would think with today's tech they could make an auto start that simply would not start if car was detected in gear anyway. Car would have to left in neutral with parking brake on or auto start would not work.
Possible? Sure. But chances are that Ford doesn't want the liability should a failure occur in the gear detection portion.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Within the original context of this thread, no consumer level firearm comes with the capability to be remotely loaded or fired.

Like I'm sure I've mentioned here before, don't look for OE remote start in MT cars until the transmissions acquire a 'Park' position complete with sprag (not exactly a horrible idea, actually).

Norm

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Question please. I have an A10 and use remote start once in a blue moon. Did the same with the A6 when I lived in NJ. How often would you manual owners actually use remote start?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I use it on my wife's suv all the time in the summer to cool things down before the family goes somewhere. I doubt I'd ever use it on the mustang even if it had it. The mustang cools off almost instantly when I kick the ac on, even when the engine is still warming up. It's pretty impressive for a car with all black interior in AZ.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe, maybe not. I know for a fact that in some cars you could bump the car along on the starter just enough to get it to 'catch'. Think in terms of clutch control cable failure. FWIW, the one car that I know for sure could do that was carbureted.
See my post #52 above. This is pretty much describes my situation.

In fact, some of the comments in this thread reminded me that back when I was in driver's ed (1974), one of the "What do you do?" scenarios involved a car stalled on railroad tracks and the published curriculum's answer was "Move it off the tracks using the starter motor without using the clutch" if it was a manual transmission car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
See my post #52 above. This is pretty much describes my situation.

In fact, some of the comments in this thread reminded me that back when I was in driver's ed (1974), one of the "What do you do?" scenarios involved a car stalled on railroad tracks and the published curriculum's answer was "Move it off the tracks using the starter motor without using the clutch" if it was a manual transmission car.
Yup. Just once being able to bump the car along on the starter when you needed to would outweigh the convenience of being able to remotely start the car.

But guess what - incorporating a park position/sprag could allow removing the clutch switch as a starter interlock and give back the ability to move the car on its starter motor.

Norm

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Is the remote start missing entirely from the software in MT cars, or is it merely hidden/deactivated? In the latter case, couldn't it be activated somehow with FORScan?
Sponsored