No prep launching!!

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Looking for some experiences and advice for the best tire / suspension setting for no prep launching. Car is 4230lbs with me, Gen 5 Whipple 10R car. It's a no prep, 1/8 mile event at an airstrip. It has hosted many events in the past so there is that heavy layer of rubber but they don't prep it. Last year I almost won the event and was running on pump gas, 3.75 pulley with stock shocks and ET Street R tires. My best 60ft was a 1.78 and pass was 6.8 at 107mph. That was pretty consistent for me. This year I'm considering switching to the Hoosier DBR radial and will be running Kelltrac rear shocks. Would love to hear people's opinion on the DBR vs ET Street R tire for no prep and experiences they might have had. Thanks!
Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I switched from a 26" ET Street R to the 28" DBR and it has worked a lot better for me overall on a no prep surface. I would seriously consider a bias ply slick though if you're going to be running a lot of no prep events, and your class allows it. I still spin the DBRs and have to modulate the throttle a lot. I'm switching to a 2nd gear leave tune for this season to try and tame some of that.

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I switched from a 26" ET Street R to the 28" DBR and it has worked a lot better for me overall on a no prep surface. I would seriously consider a bias ply slick though if you're going to be running a lot of no prep events, and your class allows it. I still spin the DBRs and have to modulate the throttle a lot. I'm switching to a 2nd gear leave tune for this season to try and tame some of that.
How much power are you running at the event? I'm only pump gas and 700whp but I'm considering throwing in E on the same pulley but don't want to make things worse with trying to control more power now...lol. I only do this one no prep event every year, the rest is on a prepped track.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
How much power are you running at the event? I'm only pump gas and 700whp but I'm considering throwing in E on the same pulley but don't want to make things worse with trying to control more power now...lol. I only do this one no prep event every year, the rest is on a prepped track.
Probably 820ish with the 100mm pulley I have on my ESS kit.

The DBRs are great on a prepped surface. I've cut 1.4s 60s on mine.

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Probably 820ish with the 100mm pulley I have on my ESS kit.

The DBRs are great on a prepped surface. I've cut 1.4s 60s on mine.
You run vikings or still stock shocks? What kinda pressure do they seem to like on a prepped surface?

Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
You run vikings or still stock shocks? What kinda pressure do they seem to like on a prepped surface?
I have vikings outback adjustable konis up front on bmr drags springs. I usually set mine at 18psi

OP
OP
Platinum_5.0

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You want huge weight transfer for no prep. Front drag/adjustable struts and lighten the nose as much as you possibly can.

Skyrm_da

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
DBR is a great tire. I have more consistent launches with them vs ET Street Rs. I gotta ask, how the hell did you get the car that light?
Sponsored