Sponsored

No-drill front license plate bracket

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I got pulled over again today for no front license plate. I really wish Texas would drop the front plate but until then I guess I need to just bite the bullet and get a no-drill backet. I had a 2011 Mustang that had a Craig's bracket on it but the one they sell for the Gen6 Mustangs uses 3M tape to mount it. I'm not really digging that approach. The Sto N Sho is an option, but it does require drilling into the underside panel. For a true no-drill option I found Sly Brackets ( Sly Brackets - No-drill Front License Plate Bracket Holder Mounts For All Car Types - East To Install - No Holes - No Drills ). It mounts to the lower grill much like the Craigs for my old 2011. I was wondering if anyone has bought one of these and could offer an opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing: The Sly bracket is about $30 cheaper than the Sto N Sho.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red
The Sto N Sho doesn't require any drilling, at least it didn't for my 2021 GT Premium

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked the Sto N Sho installation instructions on American Muscle and it says you have to drill a hole for the rear mounting screw in Step 5. Maybe it's different for newer Mustangs?

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The rear hole is for a little more stability at high speeds and it is just into the plastic belly pan cover. Itā€™s a push pin if I remember. Sonit isnā€™t doing much anyways lol. Either way itā€™s under the car so you not anyone will ever be able to see it unless you are jumping a crowd of people at 5 mph so they can look up to see it šŸ˜‚ haha.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Attached is the photo from the installation manual. That's not a pushpin. Agreed it's on the underside but I prefer not to drill anywhere if I don't need to in order to get the front plate on.

1651012228255.png

Sopps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I got pulled over again today for no front license plate. I really wish Texas would drop the front plate but until then I guess I need to just bite the bullet and get a no-drill backet. I had a 2011 Mustang that had a Craig's bracket on it but the one they sell for the Gen6 Mustangs uses 3M tape to mount it. I'm not really digging that approach. The Sto N Sho is an option, but it does require drilling into the underside panel. For a true no-drill option I found Sly Brackets ( Sly Brackets - No-drill Front License Plate Bracket Holder Mounts For All Car Types - East To Install - No Holes - No Drills ). It mounts to the lower grill much like the Craigs for my old 2011. I was wondering if anyone has bought one of these and could offer an opinion.
Iā€™ve got one on my 19 gt premium. I like it. Itā€™s been no fuss since install and is true to its word, no drilling. Itā€™s sturdy and comes with spacers and such so you can use it on other cars if needed. Just make sure you check your lower grill, mines Canadian and has the engine block heater and slats on that grill and it made a difference in the the bracket type I ordered.

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I got pulled over again today for no front license plate. I really wish Texas would drop the front plate but until then I guess I need to just bite the bullet and get a no-drill backet.
You must have garnered the attention or ire of a local yocal.??? I have been plate-less up front forever and a day and no problems thus far. That being said Texas does require front plates. I installed a Sto-N-Sho on my Bullitt (PP1). It required one bolt be removed from the belly pan where it attaches to the front splitter and one screw drilled thru the belly pan. I think that second bolt is just to keep thing facing frontwards squarely. The bracket shown in the pic is nowhere near what mine looks like.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
If you are worried about using the Craig's mount then I can report that mine has survived 2 years of abuse including plenty of winter driving in New England using the provided 3m tape.

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You must have garnered the attention or ire of a local yocal.??? I have been plate-less up front forever and a day and no problems thus far. That being said Texas does require front plates. I installed a Sto-N-Sho on my Bullitt (PP1). It required one bolt be removed from the belly pan where it attaches to the front splitter and one screw drilled thru the belly pan. I think that second bolt is just to keep thing facing frontwards squarely. The bracket shown in the pic is nowhere near what mine looks like.
There were about 4 sheriff's deputies patrolling that 3 mile stretch of road. I don't think I was a specific target, but people often speed on it so I'm guessing that's why they had the heavy presence. Luckily, Waze warned me they were there, and I made sure I was a behaving. Unfortunately, he noticed the missing plate.

I think I'm going to give the Sly Bracket a try. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you are worried about using the Craig's mount then I can report that mine has survived 2 years of abuse including plenty of winter driving in New England using the provided 3m tape.
I know that 3M tape is some stout stuff but I really like the grill mounting of the other one. If I hadn't found the Sy bracket, I'd probably be going with Craig's over the Sto N Sho.

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The Sly Bracket came in and when I installed it, it doesn't clear the bumper, even with all of the included standoffs (see pic below with license bracket loosely installed ). I verified with them before ordering that it would work with a 2015 GT. I contacted Sly Brackets and they offered send me two more 1 inch standoffs although they did ask if my bumper was stock.

IMG_3027.jpg

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
I use the sto n sho and you do drill a small hole in the belly pan which you can not see anyway. Even if your plate isnt not on the car the bracket that holds it is still there under the car. Just drill the small hole and be done with it šŸ˜„

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I use the sto n sho and you do drill a small hole in the belly pan which you can not see anyway. Even if your plate isnt not on the car the bracket that holds it is still there under the car. Just drill the small hole and be done with it šŸ˜„
It's just a personal preference to not drill holes in my car if I don't need to (even if it isn't visible). I'll have the additional standoffs next week and it'll all be good.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
I'm in this boat now too. FL didn't require front plate. In NJ now it's mandatory jail time if you don't have the front... and they're on it like hawks. Sounds like the Sto n Go it is.
Sponsored