Sponsored

Nitrogen in tires

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Who needs 40psi and lube - you can seat a tire with starter fluid and a Bic lighter - just saw it on Myth Busters!
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Aren't tires mounted with nitrogen mostly purged? If mounted with nitrogen and filled with nitrogen later on, I'd say most of the ambient moisture would be out of the tire, so you don't need two valvestems to purge the system.

If it we're purely convenience of having a large tank, and if the "dry" aspect wasn't an advantage, you'd think these teams would save a lot of money by using their own air compressor to re fill the tanks, since nitrogen isn't that cheap. I think you're understating the importance of it being dry.
See the other comments, the bottle of N2 can also fill shocks.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'll hire you if you can get a tire to seat with only 40psi with or without a ton of lube.

If you're only needing to bleed 3-4psi from a cold tire to hot, then sure Nitrogen will have an insignificant benefit. It also means you're REALLY slow :lol:
Make that from street-driving warm to hot, not in the heat of summer. Datalogs consistently exceeding 1.1g lateral on true street tires suggest otherwise, but there's only so much speed available on the straights from a stockish 4.6L. :cheers:

Norm

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I hear helium in R Carbon Fiber wheels saves another 2lbs per tire. (/sarcasm)

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Make that from street-driving warm to hot, not in the heat of summer. Datalogs consistently exceeding 1.1g lateral on true street tires suggest otherwise, but there's only so much speed available on the straights from a stockish 4.6L. :cheers:

Norm
I thought we were talking about on track.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I thought we were talking about on track.
We are.

I suppose I should have typed "street warm to track hot", given that I can't get to the track in the first place unless the tires make it to 'street warm' by the time I get there.

But I though it was obvious enough with the 1.1g mentioned later on in the post where the 'hot' was. Which is sustained, BTW. Peaks are reaching 1.3x.

Norm

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you drive your car to the track (warm) and only get a 3-4psi increase in pressures after a session. You're going pretty slow.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On a really good lap at my home track with the few mods I have, I've managed to match the pace of a couple of name-brand drivers, one driving a stock S197 GT and the other a stock SS 5th gen Camaro. Look through Automobile's archives around 2009-2010 to see who. No, I don't know what the tires might have been showing for pressure immediately after laps like that.

You don't suppose that running 285/35's on 18x11 wheels has anything to do with less flexing and less heat generation, do you?

Norm

Last edited:

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
On a really good lap at my home track with the few mods I have, I've managed to match the pace of a couple of name-brand drivers, one driving a stock S197 GT and the other a stock SS 5th gen Camaro. Look through Automobile's archives around 2009-2010 to see who. No, I don't know what the tires might have been showing for pressure immediately after laps like that.

You don't suppose that running 285/35's on 18x11 wheels has anything to do with less flexing and less heat generation, do you?

Norm
Random data point: racing the same size tire on 9.5” wheels, we go from mid 20’s to mid 30’s. I target 38 hot. I see pressure in the pits from 25-32. Most of the time I’m measuring them myself and not rolling in hot properly so the tire data is not optimum but enough to get them split cold so they end up about all the same hot. Often there are so many other problems to deal with, we just get em close, try not to slide around too much, and hope for the best.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
"He said it greatly reduced the rate of people bringing their new car in when Winter hit and the TPMS lights told them the tires were low" SMH

WOW!
You can "wow" and shake your head all you want. This came from a guy who has been wrenching for 35 years. Is it pure coincidence? Could be. All I know is most dealerships don't spend money when they don't have to. He didn't comment either way about the "benefits" of the nitrogen fill.
Sponsored