Sponsored

Nitrogen in tires

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn't want to (further) muddy the other thread, but I did want to talk about nitrogen in tires.

Anyone here think it's a good idea? My position is that air is 80% nitrogen already. Good enough.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts, especially if they think pure nitrogen in their tires is a good idea.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Won't make a huge difference. Air except nitrogen will slowly leak out of the tires overtime anyway so you end up with mostly nitrogen.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Zero moisture and consistent temps with nitrogen. Great for road course (temps) & steel wheels (corrosion). Street.. meh. I have a air drier on my compressor.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Waste.

FP350S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robear
Vehicle(s)
16 TY GT350
IMO it is a purely a means for dealers to drive customers back to the service dept. and a new gen automotive snake oil.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
IMO it is a purely a means for dealers to drive customers back to the service dept. and a new gen automotive snake oil.

It's not new, the dealer I left last year had that service for a few months about 8-10 years ago then slowly just forgot about it. Even the sales people knew it was a waste of money.

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Waste of time. Nitrogen tires only has a real use in the Aviation industry because of the constant altitude and climate changes.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not to be difficult, but has anyone saying it's a waste of time tested it? Would be curious to see some data.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was told that there is less pressure increase when running between hot and cold temps at the track. I almost did nitrogen this year at Daytona, but again, I ran out of time.

I saw Dean Martin had a big ass bottle of nitrogen at the track. I'm sure there is a very good reason he, and other racers use it.

picture.jpg

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Not to be difficult, but has anyone saying it's a waste of time tested it? Would be curious to see some data.
yes. Oxygen is more susceptible than Nitrogen to expanding and condensing due to heat and air pressure, that's why they made the switch in aircraft tires. there's minimal benefits of Nitrogen. Maybe if you were storing the car for a long period of time?

I've ran numerous track days...I usually deflate the tires a couple PSI because of the heat and hard driving. You are fine with just regular air.

you can also read this: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well whenever we're at the track or autoX and have to adjust air, we're not filling up on nitrogen, we just have a regular ol' pump and I've yet to have an issue by any stretch of the means. So there's that.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I was told that there is less pressure increase when running between hot and cold temps at the track. I almost did nitrogen this year at Daytona, but again, I ran out of time.

I saw Dean Martin had a big ass bottle of nitrogen at the track. I'm sure there is a very good reason he, and other racers use it.

picture.jpg
Well, we all use it on airplanes too because it’s clean, dry and inert but air works too. I think nitrogen is of marginal benefit to racers. Zero benefit on the street. There’s probably a white paper out there but I haven’t seen it. If I had Dean’s budget, I would have a nitrogen bottle instead of a ratty old compressor :D