New York State Inspection OBD2 Emissions Readiness Fail

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Last year the car was stock, and it passed inspection. Since then, I installed myself a full 3” catback (with stock cats and headers) and the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 (M-9603-M8A). Now I’m struggling to pass the inspection. I’ve gone through enough threads here that it should be the kit/tune. The cat-back should not impact emissions.

Early September of this year, at 5,763 miles, I cannot pass the NYS emissions readiness, which is part of the inspection process. The tech is stating I have 4 out of 8 monitors that are not ready. They said to drive it more and they should ready.

I have been driving it and been back to the shop several times. Now I’m up to 6,384 miles and I still cannot pass the emissions readiness. I did traffic, highway, all sorts of driving. Same results.

They gave me a full printout and the OBD Drive Cycle for the 2017. I ran through the printout drive cycle and bought a good OBD2 scanner. I’m still seeing four monitors not ready:
  1. FUE
  2. CAT
  3. O2S
  4. HTR
They also suggested it could be the tune. This is the vanilla PP2 tune that came with the kit. I believe I can really test that without removing all parts and the tune as the car would run like crap with the stock tune and the kit installed. I reached out to Ford Performance and I’m waiting for a tech to respond.

I’m looking for suggestions:
  • Keep driving (seems pointless)
  • Reflash with Pro-Cal, check settings. Maybe there is a switch I should check
  • Pull the PP2 and de-tune
Has anyone seen issues with Ford Power Packs and NYS inspections? I’ll be happy to answer any questions.
Sponsored

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Last year the car was stock, and it passed inspection. Since then, I installed myself a full 3” catback (with stock cats and headers) and the Ford Performance Power Pack 2 (M-9603-M8A). Now I’m struggling to pass the inspection. I’ve gone through enough threads here that it should be the kit/tune. The cat-back should not impact emissions.

Early September of this year, at 5,763 miles, I cannot pass the NYS emissions readiness, which is part of the inspection process. The tech is stating I have 4 out of 8 monitors that are not ready. They said to drive it more and they should ready.

I have been driving it and been back to the shop several times. Now I’m up to 6,384 miles and I still cannot pass the emissions readiness. I did traffic, highway, all sorts of driving. Same results.

They gave me a full printout and the OBD Drive Cycle for the 2017. I ran through the printout drive cycle and bought a good OBD2 scanner. I’m still seeing four monitors not ready:
  1. FUE
  2. CAT
  3. O2S
  4. HTR
They also suggested it could be the tune. This is the vanilla PP2 tune that came with the kit. I believe I can really test that without removing all parts and the tune as the car would run like crap with the stock tune and the kit installed. I reached out to Ford Performance and I’m waiting for a tech to respond.

I’m looking for suggestions:
  • Keep driving (seems pointless)
  • Reflash with Pro-Cal, check settings. Maybe there is a switch I should check
  • Pull the PP2 and de-tune
Has anyone seen issues with Ford Power Packs and NYS inspections? I’ll be happy to answer any questions.
Revert the tune back to STOCK mode if you can or tuner has that option., car should pass.

Anthony

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Revert the tune back to STOCK mode if you can or tuner has that option., car should pass.

Anthony
I love this forum, instant answers! (Nice location BTW Anthony)

I have access to the pro-cal tool and should be able to revert. But should I pull the kit off and replace it with the oem TB, intake, etc?

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Call ford performance.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
But should I pull the kit off and replace it with the oem TB, intake, etc?
Yes, you have to run the OEM intake with the OEM tune, so you have to swap the hardware out.

Since you failed the first time, have you disconnected the battery or had to jump it? I myself and many others passed just fine with the PP2 setup, so something else must be resetting your readiness statuses and that's usually the battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes, you have to run the OEM intake with the OEM tune, so you have to swap the hardware out.

Since you failed the first time, have you disconnected the battery or had to jump it? I myself and many others passed just fine with the PP2 setup, so something else must be resetting your readiness statuses and that's usually the battery.
I did have the battery out a few times before the PP2 kit. I was cleaning the fresh air intake due to a mouse trying to make a home. But that was last year in September, after the first passed inspection.

Last edited:

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto

I have access to the pro-cal tool and should be able to revert. But should I pull the kit off and replace it with the oem TB, intake, etc?
Yes you should then retune after your inspection

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The FRPP tunes are emissions compliant. Take it to a FP dealer and have them fix whatever is wrong.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Pull the battery terminals off for an hour or so. Then do the drive cycles again. You should be able to pass with that FP tune with no issues. I had a similar issue with a soft code that wasn't showing and after it cleared with a full battery reset the monitors finished as expected.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT

Right, Right! NY SHITTY use to be NYC, not anymore.. Major ShitHole. Cant wait for the day, I can ESCAPE NY SHITTY!"...........

Last edited:

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Anthony
It’s a Ford performance tune which is 50 state legal. So going back to stock will not fix the problem. The tune isn’t capable of causing the monitors to get stuck “not ready” without throwing a CEL. It’s fully CARB compliant, so even in CA and states like NY that pretend to be CA, the tune is 100% legit.

OP I’d bet money you have some sort of hardware failure and if you keep driving it will throw a code.

In addition, ~500 miles seems like a long way to go. Typically after a drive cycle is completed (which is a very specific set of driving scenarios that need to be performed) the monitors will either go ready or throw a code.

This is making me wonder if you’re actually completing the drive cycle, I used to know what the ford drive cycle was but I’ve since forgotten. But I do know that it includes, highway driving over a certain speed, traffic driving, city driving, and driving in temps above 40F. All for a set amount of time. If any of those are not met it will appear that the monitors are not going ready. It’s more common than you’d think, especially now that the temps are dropping.

remember it’s not about miles it’s about driving scenarios

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
heres some help:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/2016-mustang-drive-cycle-pdf.338511/#:~:text=Stop the vehicle and repeat,repeat step 10 five times.
If you're not performing each of these scenarios the monitors will just hang not ready. This is for a 2016, there may be more monitors on your car which will all have their own requirement.

If this is a weekend car or a "sometimes car", it can be hard to get the monitors to go ready. I know my own dad struggled a lot with his M3 because he drives it like 600 miles a year lol.

The main takeaway is if they aren't ready and there is no DTC then you are likely just not completing the drive cycle. If they are not ready and you are completing the drive cycle then you will get a DTC that points you to the issue.

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thank you all for the input. I haven’t heard any thing from Ford Performance yet. I did some more driving just now and really focused on certain monitors. Nothing seems to get them to go green.
I’m telling myself the story that when I pulled the battery, I reset all monitors and they never went green when I installed the PP2 kit and tune. I’m thinking remove the kit and de-tune and start over. Make sure the car goes green stock first. Then put the PP2 kit and tune back in.
Problem is I'm running out of driving weather in NY. Inspection may come in the Spring.

My question is should I pull the battery and force a reset on all monitors when I do this? Or maybe right after I flash the stock tune?
C176BB95-377D-45CE-A5EC-7380EE12BA3F.jpeg

Last edited:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thank you all for the input. I haven’t heard any thing from Ford Performance yet. I did some more driving just now and really focused on certain monitors. Nothing seems to get them to go green.
I’m telling myself the story that when I pulled the battery, I reset all monitors and they never went green when I installed the PP2 kit and tune. I’m thinking remove the kit and de-tune and start over. Make sure the car goes green stock first. Then put the PP2 kit and tune back in.
Problem is I'm running out of driving weather in NY. Inspection may come in the Spring.

My question is should I pull the battery and force a reset on all monitors when I do this? Or maybe right after I flash the stock tune?
C176BB95-377D-45CE-A5EC-7380EE12BA3F.jpeg
Pull the battery for 10 -15 minutes and try again. Do not flash back to stock before doing so. Perhaps something became corrupted in the earlier flash, as none of your mods would prevent them from completing. I have found those prescribed drive cycles to be mostly worthless, but 2-3 drives over the course of 2-3 days totaling 50-75 miles should easily set enough monitors to pass OBD emissions testing.

OP
OP
RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
One last college try. Pulled the battery for 45 minutes and drove 65 for 5 minutes twice, then went to 65 to 40 without braking for at least 5 times and got all Green!
Thank you all again. I knew the PP2 kit was 50 state good, I just don’t think I was hitting all points for the drive cycle
E678BA16-3F1D-489E-81FA-2C1D6A15C55C.jpeg

now I need to get my sticker before the snow hits😂
Sponsored