16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Logged in, downloaded the update that Ford prompted me to download. Went to the car and let it do it’s thing. Radio said complete and now I have half a nav screen, sound and nothing on the other half of the screen.
Did you cycle sync?(shutdown/restart)
Sponsored

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Multiple times, sat over night, etc. Radio plays but no screen .

Open door of car, get the ford logo on the screen of radio. Once the animation completes I get black screen.
image.jpg

is there a way to upload the update again? I don’t have a screen to see what it’s doing.

Last edited:

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
Multiple times, sat over night, etc. Radio plays but no screen .

Open door of car, get the ford logo on the screen of radio. Once the animation completes I get black screen.
image.jpg

is there a way to upload the update again? I don’t have a screen to see what it’s doing.
Put the usb stick back in and let it start the update. When it says to remove usb stick, DO NOT remove it. Turn car off, wait 10 minutes to let CAN bus go to sleep, then turn car on and let it run through update until it says finished. Then remove usb drive, and turn off car. When you turn it back on, it should have fixed it. The update process is really screwy. When it says it’s finished, it’s really not.

If it’s really hosed, you can always flash sync 2.2 back to it. After it’s working again on 2.2, you can try the upgrade again. The same thing that happened to you happened on my SHO. Dealer said it couldn’t be fixed and Ford was working on a fix to corrupted update. They would let me know when they had a fix. Lol. I figured it out myself by downgrading to 2.2 and reapplying update.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Mine updated to the new revision over the wifi. One thing I noticed is that GT is now missing from the service menu to change the background :(

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Glad to report that update took about 10 minutes to complete off USB.

2017 GT Premium, non-Nav (Canadian car)

IMG_0795.jpg

Sponsored

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I’ll put it back in but do not have a screen to follow directions. All I have is the FORD logo when you open the door, once I press the start button the screen goes blank. Odd as I have owned this 2016 from day one and have done many updates without issue.

I let the car sit and idle for 20 minutes earlier with the USB stick in, still nada.

Anyone have 2.2 - maybe can try that next.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I'm not sure about the mustangs, but a factory reset might help.... see if you have POWER and RIGHT SEEK or, EJECT AND RIGHT SEEK, hold them (5-10 seconds) to see if it power cycles... The first (on a Fusion) will reset everything... the second should take you to the Diagnostics screen (sound tones to test), you can then navigate to reset, or test... 8)

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
***UPDATE - SEE MY SUCCESSFUL UPDATE POST BELOW***

Hi guys,

I have a 2016 EB PP non-nav. I downloaded my files by logging into https://owner.ford.com. It was 2.16GB and titled 'JR3T-14G381-AS' . I extracted to my usb then brought it into my car. My SYNC 3 version before the install was 3.0 BUILD 18093_PRODUCT. I followed the instructions and the install took about 15 minutes or so. The screen said update was successful and did a restart. After that, i went to check the SYNC settings and saw that i still had the same exact serial version. I don't think i got the new version yet or am i doing something wrong?? View attachment 400253
1.JPG
2.JPG
436771638.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So adding to the post above - owner.ford.com downloads same file as Costcombo's - how do I tell which build it is ? Neither zip file name, nor any of the file names inside the zip resemble the build number.

Nevermind - figured it out.

autoinstall.lst is a text file and contains that info - mine says :

; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.21 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.19205_PRODUCT]

That does look like Nav / North America - right ?

OP
OP

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
So adding to the post above - owner.ford.com downloads same file as Costcombo's - how do I tell which build it is ? Neither zip file name, nor any of the file names inside the zip resemble the build number.

Nevermind - figured it out.

autoinstall.lst is a text file and contains that info - mine says :

; SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.21 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies.

[SYNCGen3.0_3.0.19205_PRODUCT]

That does look like Nav / North America - right ?
Yes, NA means North America, not Not Applicable.. 8)

That should update you to 3.0 19205 if you have a NAV unit.

Sponsored

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
I’ll put it back in but do not have a screen to follow directions. All I have is the FORD logo when you open the door, once I press the start button the screen goes blank. Odd as I have owned this 2016 from day one and have done many updates without issue.

I let the car sit and idle for 20 minutes earlier with the USB stick in, still nada.

Anyone have 2.2 - maybe can try that next.
If it’s gonna update again, it will do it on its own. You can tell if it’s running by using a usb stick with an activity light. You should see it flashing while it’s running. Never had one completely go to a black screen though. The file I have is sync3 nav v1 to v22.zip. It’s for the nav equipped units. It has always worked for me to roll back when I had corruptions. I’m sure you can find it by googling. It’s been reposted a bunch of times on forums if you can find a link that’s still live. I’m traveling and don’t have a way to share a file that large now. Hope you get it working.

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Open the door, Ford emblem. After that the screen goes dark. Put in reverse, I have rear camera. Switching back to 1st and move forward the screen goes Ford blue then will briefly show reverse then back to dark. Dark as in no information, but there is a slight backlight to the screen. Radio controls work from steering wheel controls so at least it’s not just AM.

The reset (power+seek buttons) doesn’t do anything, acts likes it resets but flickers the screen a couple of times then back to dark.

The 1-2.2 (at least the copy I have) is only 2 files-put in USB port and the activity light flashes for a little bit then stops. Does the same if I put the latest update in the port also.

OP
OP

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
A lot of the users I see that were able to do the update, allowed the USB stick to remain in the slot for about 30-60 minutes... even if it said it was done... so it could be that it's done with a module, but has more to do... so I'd say put your USB stick back in and run the car for another 30 minutes or so....

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Went to 2.2 then back to 3.0 then to this update. Maybe its the GT splash screen that was causing the problem, who knows.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
does the over-the-air (wifi) update actually work?
Sponsored