Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I just came into a 2018 GT 10R80 and am looking for boost options. My car is a daily driver logging about 20 miles each way back and forth to work. I'm looking for power, but also drivability. Open to supercharger and turbochargers as I am coming from a FBO S197 and don't have much experience with either.

I've done some preliminary research but most of the marketing jargon out there is just that, marketing. Everyone's got the best, coolest, most "stock-like" kit out there. I'd like some feedback on a few that I've narrowed down. Keep in mind, I'm looking to spend about $8000 outside of the installation.

Here's my shortlist: (completely open to other options)
  1. VMP Loki
  2. Roush Phase 1
  3. Edlebrock E-Force Stage 1
  4. Whipple Stage 1
  5. On3 Turbo Kit
Discuss!
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Of those choices Whipple hands down. Keeping it under $8K though.... Doesn't leave any room for upgrades.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
My honest opinion coming from a whipple owner.

1. I don't buy the 1st gen of anything new.

2. Not enough power for the price tag.

3. I love edelbrock but im not about the grinding parts to make a supercharger fit. Either it fits or it doesn't not my sorta games.

4. My personal choice, its pretty much awesome in every way and has no downsides except the smiles per gallon go up and the miles per gallon go down.

5. This is your daily, avoid turbo's like the plague unless you are buying a 2nd car to daily.

Regardless of what you go with, don't forget about cooling and OPG/CSS very important things to keeping the motor alive for a long time.

Also tires, the things that touch the ground are really important as well.

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not specifically limited to that list. It's just what I've short listed based on the research I've done. If you guys have better options, please share!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
A car with forced induction is going to need supporting mods in the wheel/suspension department. That might put you over budget if you want a daily driver. Without, you'll just be spinning and wheelhopping every time you drive.
I don't plan on going to a track. The budget is JUST for the supercharger. Also, my car has the performance pack with magneride and should be able to handle modest power upgrades without needing suspension work. I'm not trying to build a 1000HP car that needs radials for daily driving, I should be good with the stock suspension at least initially.

I am new to FI, not new to mustangs. My previous car was quite substantially modified both in suspension and drivetrain.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
A car with forced induction is going to need supporting mods in the wheel/suspension department. That might put you over budget if you want a daily driver. Without, you'll just be spinning and wheelhopping every time you drive.
and here I thought an 800hp car would drive just like stock unless you beat on it. Come to find out theyre just impossible to daily drive and will kill you first chance it gets. Damn, good info.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
OP. I highly recommend you do a whipple, edelbrock or centri of choice. It will be fairly hands off and you will enjoy the power. It will daily drive just fine with the 10r80 and 650whp. Just respect it until you get a feel for it.

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I looked at being able to go back to stock at any point, driveability, power ranges for price & cutting up stuff. I take in mind your goals, you will need driveshaft possibly because they fail. Axles because they break on dig racing. Oil pump gears, insurance because you never know If your engine will break just because of a $300 piece. you may not like centri blowers, i have a procharger, drives like stock, but top end is amazing. You'll always be in the powerband as well with a 10 speed which helps you.

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
and here I thought an 800hp car would drive just like stock unless you beat on it. Come to find out theyre just impossible to daily drive and will kill you first chance it gets. Damn, good info.
My whipple 19 does exactly that. It is very tame until you press the go pedal.

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

barkingspud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premuim
Elaborate?
Currently Vortech, E85, the whole shebang. Makes plenty of power in fact, more than my original goal. That said, this setup is tapped out. Would need to swap out the head unit to get more. My setup is pretty unique as my boost is 2 stage adjustable. With a Turbo setup, you can add a boost controller and dial up/down the boost with a simple turn of a dial. Obviously, you'd need supporting mods and tunes but, if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with a twin turbo setup.

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha, this generation is just a different pony. Unless you've had an 04 Cobra, the IRS is a new element to account for. You're right that the PP/mag should be good to go for decent power. Might still want to look at something like Steeda's Stop the Hop kit. I'm personally going that route for my eventual FI build.
Great suggestion. Coming from an S197 I didn't realize how far the chassis on the S550 had progressed. To be fair, going from a 3 link leaf spring/mcpherson strut setup to MagneRide is quite the change in chassis technology though.

OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Currently Vortech, E85, the whole shebang. Makes plenty of power in fact, more than my original goal. That said, this setup is tapped out. Would need to swap out the head unit to get more. My setup is pretty unique as my boost is 2 stage adjustable. With a Turbo setup, you can add a boost controller and dial up/down the boost with a simple turn of a dial. Obviously, you'd need supporting mods and tunes but, if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with a twin turbo setup.
How much power are you making with that setup to be "tapped out"?
Sponsored