New Resonator Choice | 2018 GT

JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey all, first post on here. I have a 2018 GT that is currently straight piped minus headers and that needs to change. The car is essentially true dual to quad tips.

Current Setup:
Stock Headers + Cats --> Resonator Delete (no X/H pipe) --> MBRP Pro Axle Back.

I'm looking for options that won't break the bank that will quiet the car down enough and help with some rasp, but will maintain a good amount of volume. Some of the options I've read about include throwing some bullet style Vibrant/MagnaFlow/Borla resonators in, ACCELATEC Resonated X-pipe, or just straight throwing the OEM resonator in.

Just curious if anyone has experience with any of these options or would recommend anything else. Also curious if there are any mufflers I could throw in before the tips on the Axle-Back. Staying with some family for college and neighbors are not pleased in the mornings when I leave at 5:00am šŸ˜…

View of Axle-Back and part of Resonator delete

1704184604117.jpeg

Sound Clip of Current Setup
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I donā€™t think the Vibrant resonators are goin to quiet things down enough for you. I have a pair of their 4ā€ mini race mufflers, with 3ā€ inlets and outlets on my car, which does have LTHs and they didnā€™t quiet my exhaust note down at all. I suggest adding some Dynomax Race Bullets (maybe even two pairs of them, if you have enough straight pipe to fit two) and that should help tone things down a bit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-24215

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
Let me know if you want a stock resonator. I just took mine off at 1850 miles. Its sitting on my garage floor. Will probably end up at the local metal recycling place soon.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Magnaflow tru X fits nicely in the same spot as a previous cut and clamp X pipe, and it made quite a bit of difference. It killed all of the rasp, a little bit of the volume and made it deeper overall.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Full length Dynomax race bullets.

Sponsored

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
You could try the Jones dual 3" in/out resonated x pipe. It's stainless steel and pretty cheap.
I have stainless power headers, with two of these Jones units welded together for a Frankenstein double X pipe, with Flowmasters out the rear, all 3". The setup is loud when you want it to be but it provides a unique tone and is quiet when cruising

Synergy720

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Let me know if you want a stock resonator. I just took mine off at 1850 miles. Its sitting on my garage floor. Will probably end up at the local metal recycling place soon.
If the guy doesnā€™t want it, Iā€™ll pay you shipping and extra cash for it

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Perfonce/Borla also has a touring resonator you could put in that would address the NHRA sound you now have. @LethalPerformance has them in stock.

Screenshot_20240102_111602_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240102_111558_Firefox.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
JustVman

JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the input everyone. After doing some research on everything that has been mentioned I think that I am going to go with either some Dynomax bullets from the axle back or some Magnaflow 2.5 in/out Performance Mufflers such as the 11216/12216.

Not getting the feeling that a resonated X-pipe would do as much sound reduction as proper performance mufflers.

Has anyone had any experience with anything like these before? If the car is say, 8/10 loud now, what would these bring it down to?
MF Muffler.PNG

Was thinking I'd throw them right before the tips on both sides...

OP
OP
JustVman

JustVman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If the guy doesnā€™t want it, Iā€™ll pay you shipping and extra cash for it
I've still got mine, just looking at other options than throwing it back on. You're good to snag it from him if you'd like šŸ‘

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If the car is say, 8/10 loud now, what would these bring it down to?
Best to ask magflow for their tech sheet.

Have someone stand by the road and run a db meter on their phone as you pass by at 3000 and 5500 rpm and record the sound level. Frequency distribution would also be helpful.

Personally I would pursue the mid pipe solution first. Xpipes sound hideous to my ears.

Then if you need more sound deadening you can revisit just how much you want to add. From mild to wild.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not getting the feeling that a resonated X-pipe would do as much sound reduction as proper performance mufflers.
Of course a single muffler/resonator is not going to make as big of a difference as 2 full size mufflers. Is that what you're going with, maximum noise reduction and will be running 4 full size mufflers in total?

The unit itself is a pretty good size, and it's all packed with material so it will actually reduce noise alot more than any bullet resonator which has minimal if any packing material. It reduces overall volume quite a bit.