Sponsored

For any one with a supercharger did you upgrade the oil pump gears?

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I don't plan on doing OPG for my Procharger setup. I did't do them on my 2014 Roush setup either. I honestly had some concerns on the 14 because I remember a lot of gen 1 coyote's failing due to OPG's. But I don't think the problem is as prevalent on the gen 2 and 3. I get it, the risk is there. But I think I'm more concerned with pistons than anything.
Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Yeah 680-720 whp max through an A10 should not need em imo. Bolt on a centri low boost on E and enjoy. Street cruiser not looking to make 200 1/4 passes. lol.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Did the OPG and cs in preparation for my whipple install. With do much money involved in buying and installing an expensive super charger set up, it seems kind of short sighted to not change a known point of failure. I can understand if you have to pay someone to install it its a more significant investment but if you have the means to diy the job, really no reason not to. Its super time consuming for sure but knowing i can drive my car and not have a motor destroying time bomb is worth it in my opinion.

YBLEHSGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Shelby
Vehicle Showcase
Forged bottom, ford performance gears and a McLeod 1300hp clutch while in there - overkill? Yep - 900hp feels better vs waiting for the “boom”

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I did upgrade them and installed myself.

I learned a lot doing so, and as someone who loves learning anytime i get a chance, thats very valuable to me.

Almost as importantly, is i dont have to worry about the opg exploding while getting on it anymore. If i wouldnt have done it, would i have been fine? Maybe. Who knows. But the thought of it would have always been on my mind when getting on it. Peace of mind is more than worth it in my mind as well.

Reliability is the most obvious reason as well, and since i had it apart for the supercharger install, i figured i might as well spend 300$ and make my setup stronger.

Sponsored

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST

Frank

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Kona Blue A10
I did install OPG but I did all the work myself, but to be honest i'm more worried about 93 octane than the oil pump gears. The reason I say that is with my past experiences with boosted cars you are just gambling when using 93 and some don't even have that.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but id feel dumb to be that ".1%" that does

also 63.84% of percentages are made up on the spot.
Wow. Ok. Only been in the game for 30 years. Seen it all. Yes, some oil gears fail. On some supercharged applications. Usually with a certain centri brand, only after it snaps the front of the crank off. So I bet my '.1' is accurate. The #1 killer of OP gears is the owner with by bouncing it off the limiter, or two stepping the fuck outta it. Think roush would give a full factory warranty if they though the OP gears were the problem ? Hardly. Show me one turbo car that had it's oil pump gears fail.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Wow. Ok. Only been in the game for 30 years. Seen it all. Yes, some oil gears fail. On some supercharged applications. Usually with a certain centri brand, only after it snaps the front of the crank off. So I bet my '.1' is accurate. The #1 killer of OP gears is the owner with by bouncing it off the limiter, or two stepping the fuck outta it. Think roush would give a full factory warranty if they though the OP gears were the problem ? Hardly. Show me one turbo car that had it's oil pump gears fail.
you got really defensive for not much reason. I wasn't coming at you, or your experience so that was a bit redundant. But since you seem to want to argue...which btw, this is an opinion based thread so you shouldnt be offended from someone else having a different perspective or opinion. too bad you dont seem to have 30 years of experience with that aspect..but i digress. i guess you having 30 years of experience makes you immune to people having different thoughts on the matter.

there are well evidenced cases of the OPG failing and being a "weak point" on these forums, the reason they fail is also redundant when when the whole point is if they should be upgraded or not. It's very easy to lose traction and hit a rev limiter, what then? Less room for accident or loss of traction seems silly for a few hundred dollars to me. i didnt even ARGUE with you, i simply stated that if you are the small percentage that it fails due to a broken OPG, you'd probably feel stupid. as some people in this forum have.

your .1% i can guarantee is incorrect. you realize how low of a number that is? if the number were truly that low..there would be MAYBE ONE post about it on the forums. Not even enough for this question to be warranted. we all know that isnt the case, hence why i called out the made up percentage that is vastly incorrect. even at 99% that would be 1 out of every 100, which..i still think is too low a number. .1% is statistically incorrect given the amount of threads on this alone.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
so say 2015-2017 300000 Mustangs were produced. At 1% that's 3000 failures. I highly doubt it. .1 of that is 300. K, that I believe. Aftermarket made it seem like thousands and thousands were failing and you need to upgrade it. Do it, don't do it, I don't care. Cheers.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
so say 2015-2017 300000 Mustangs were produced. At 1% that's 3000 failures. I highly doubt it. .1 of that is 300. K, that I believe. Aftermarket made it seem like thousands and thousands were failing and you need to upgrade it. Do it, don't do it, I don't care. Cheers.
so every mustang produced was made with a supercharger? my apologies, i thought this thread was titled "for anyone with a SUPERCHARGER did you upgrade the oil pump gears". so yes, your percentage is still skewed. sorry.

a completely different topic when stock, although there have been stock vehicles with destroyed OPG on this forum too..

either way, my peace of mind of not having to worry about it is worth more than $300 (or less depending on the brand) especially after spending close to 10k for the supercharger

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Have a great day Sir.