2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I like my Nitto 555Rii tires for street use. They are "OK" for occasional strip use if the track is well prepped. I don't put a lot of miles on the Mustang and they stick very well from a slow roll. They are surprisingly quiet and smooth, too. However, if you are really serious about drag strip use, there are better choices.....Mickey Thompson ET street R, for example. Just don't try to run the Mickeys as a daily driver tire or you will likely be sorry.

I really depends on how serious one is about low speed traction or drag strip use. My Roush supercharged car literally turns them to dust from a dig. Based on my experience with the Nittos, you will not get a lot of miles out of them if you take them to the strip often or do a lot of digs on the street. If mileage and price are important and your spirited driving is confined to rolling starts, it is possible that a high performance summer tire (not a DR) might be worth considering. I hear good things about Firestone Indy 500s and they are not very expensive. They would definitely not stick like a DR but would likely last a lot longer.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I like my Nitto 555Rii tires for street use. They are "OK" for occasional strip use if the track is well prepped. I don't put a lot of miles on the Mustang and they stick very well from a slow roll. They are surprisingly quiet and smooth, too. However, if you are really serious about drag strip use, there are better choices.....Mickey Thompson ET street R, for example. Just don't try to run the Mickeys as a daily driver tire or you will likely be sorry.

I really depends on how serious one is about low speed traction or drag strip use. My Roush supercharged car literally turns them to dust from a dig. Based on my experience with the Nittos, you will not get a lot of miles out of them if you take them to the strip often or do a lot of digs on the street. If mileage and price are important and your spirited driving is confined to rolling starts, it is possible that a high performance summer tire (not a DR) might be worth considering. I hear good things about Firestone Indy 500s and they are not very expensive. They would definitely not stick like a DR but would likely last a lot longer.
One of the reasons I chose to go with Procharger. A bit less low end torque to get the car launched, then let the boost rip. Indy 500's won't last long if you are spinning through 3 gears. I feel the NT555RII/A10/P1X/E85 will be a great combo. Mine will be installed in a couple weeks.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

I ran the original 555R’s on several high horsepower street cars and for the street it is the best tire in my opinion hands down. I just purchased a set of the 555RII’s and look forward to seeing how they perform. It’s supposed to be an improved version so looking forward to seeing for myself.

Like Bruce said if it’s primarily a strip car there are better options, but for the street and occasional strip use the 555RII is a must.

For a grippy Max Performance summer tire look at the Continental Extreme Contact Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
One of the reasons I chose to go with Procharger. A bit less low end torque to get the car launched, then let the boost rip. Indy 500's won't last long if you are spinning through 3 gears. I feel the NT555RII/A10/P1X/E85 will be a great combo. Mine will be installed in a couple weeks.
I look forward to hearing how it goes. With the kind of power you will be making, a 2nd gear start might be a good idea. With the 10A, you hit high RPM and high boost VERY quickly.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I look forward to hearing how it goes. With the kind of power you will be making, a 2nd gear start might be a good idea. With the 10A, you hit high RPM and high boost VERY quickly.
I'm going to try short shifting first with the paddles, then switch to drive.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Are you running the tires front and rear, or do you have the 555G2's up front?

Im still extremely happy with these especially since mine are 305/30 with not much sidewall. Ive been leaving them at 27psi cold.
20200516_162035.jpg

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I have limited experience with the nitto 555rg2, but the 500 or so miles I've put I like how they look and how they hook. My setup is 19x10 p6gr front on mps4s 275 40 19 and 19x 11.5 rear with 555rg2 345 30 19 only issue was very slight rubbing on the inside rears with the shock mount, an aftermarket one would fix that I just removed the tires and then ground them down a little. If I buy adjustable camber arms that would also allow more clearance cause I would go for near zero camber

20210202_132314.jpg

20210202_132306.jpg

20210211_123133.jpg

20210211_123145.jpg

OP
OP

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks, any driving in the rain issues or normal street driving, ie sharp curves?
Mustang is a 2nd car for me so never driven in the rain, but no issues with sharp turns on dry roads. I will say that the sidewall is a lot softer than the standard G2 and you CAN feel that a bit.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes absolutely, thank you for your inquiry. PM on the way.
Can I get a quote for 2 of the Nittos 555rii and Toyo R888r both in 285/35 R20. Installed.. trying to decide which pair I want.
Sponsored