Sponsored

New member, '19 PP2 supercharged (w/ install pics)

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
My friend is the GM at a local dealership in Southern California and he said they stopped carrying the Roush Mustangs and installing the Roush blowers because Ford won't warranty them. The dealership that did the install are responsible for carrying the warranty.
It's not warrantied by Ford or the dealer. It's warrantied by Roush. In addition to the 3/36K warranty on the blower and components, the engine and drivetrain components are also warrantied by Roush, but only for the first 3/36K on the car from it's original in service date, not from the blower installation date. So, IOW, if you install the blower on a 2 year old car with 20K on the clock, the blower would be warrantied for 3/36K (until 5/56K), but the engine and drivetrain would only be warrantied by Roush for 1/16K (until 3/36K). Anything after that and you'd have to look to Ford for any hope up until the original 5/60K expires, but good luck with that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fangi0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
GT Base PP2
It's not warrantied by Ford or the dealer. It's warrantied by Roush. In addition to the 3/36K warranty on the blower and components, the engine and drivetrain components are also warrantied by Roush, but only for the first 3/36K on the car from it's original in service date, not from the blower installation date. So, IOW, if you install the blower on a 2 year old car with 20K on the clock, the blower would be warrantied for 3/36K (until 5/56K), but the engine and drivetrain would only be warrantied by Roush for 1/16K (until 3/36K). Anything after that and you'd have to look to Ford for any hope up until the original 5/60K expires, but good luck with that.
Silver Bullitt is correct --including the last sentence :giggle::frown:. See page 3 in the attached document:

Select superchargers are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc. or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or endorsed by the Red Seal Program (RSE).

Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted superchargers by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by an installed Ford Performance supercharger remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Ford Performance superchargers are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance superchargers may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Performance superchargers, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns caused by an installed Ford Performance supercharger are not eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or this Ford Performance Supercharger Limited Warranty.

Supercharger Application: Superchargers are covered by this Limited Warranty only when installed by an authorized installer on a 5.0L engine in the vehicle for which they were designed, i.e. the Mustang GT MY 20152017 and the Shelby GT MY 2015-2017.

Ford Performance Parts Limited Warranty supercharger coverage: Part Number: M-6066-M8627 is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship for 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres from the vehicle’s original in-service date as determined by Ford OASIS (On-Line Service Information System). Contact (800) 5976874 for warranty concerns or warranty claim prior approval.

Premium Fuel Requirement: Customers who purchase power upgrade packs, cold air kits with calibration, TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations, or superchargers are required to use 91-octane or higher (“premium”) fuels at all times. Any failures associated with the non-use of premium fuel will be ineligible for warranty repair.

Warranty Registration: This limited warranty requires that parts must be purchased from an authorized Ford Performance Parts Distributor Dealer and installed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc. or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or endorsed by the Red Seal Program (RSE). Proof of purchase is required for submission of warranty claims. Registration for this warranty must be submitted through the Ford Performance Call Center at (800) 367-3788 or [email protected] with the vehicle identification number (VIN), part installation repair order and date, Ford Performance Parts part number, and owner contact information.

Optional Limited Powertrain Warranty: Optional powertrain warranty is available for purchase within thirty (30) days of the service order installation date identified on your installation receipt. Contact ROUSH Performance Customer Service at 800-597-6874 or [email protected].

Attachments

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
No worries at all —it would be a great track machine, heck, the stock PP2 does it... though measures for diff cooling would need to be called for. I knew of the diff cooling need prior to the purchase; it was of no direct concern to me given my purpose. Akins still suggested the usual affordable mods: diff oil upgrade, exhaust wrapping. If I recall correctly, they would retrofit the GT350’s cooling system at a few $K cost.

I do a fair share of out-of-state driving. For usual Atlanta city driving, a scooter will get one faster from point A to B :)
Any links to information on what diff oil upgrade is suggested and what kind of exhaust wrapping? Thanks.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Adding a few hundred pounds to the front of the car, and then installing narrower and less grippy front tires, wouldn't be my suggestion.

Raven15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Z/28 Camaro
Adding a few hundred pounds to the front of the car, and then installing narrower and less grippy front tires, wouldn't be my suggestion.
I would agree IF the OP is going road racing, especially if as a serious racer.

But as a DD or occasional use car the pleasure from the blower will outweigh the front end dynamic change I think.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I would agree IF the OP is going road racing, especially if as a serious racer.

But as a DD or occasional use car the pleasure from the blower will outweigh the front end dynamic change I think.
Lowered braking performance, lowered cornering performance, less mechanical grip to the road. Not my cup of tea when doing a big power-adder. Even for street use.

Hell.....especially for street use. No run-off areas on the street, just crowds outside the local Cars & Coffee to go surfing through.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
He went from a 305 to a 295, not a drag front skinny. I bet he barely notices the difference on the street. I have 275/35/20 fronts with baer 15" brakes and 305/30 rears with about 700hp to the tires and have never had any issues. The tires have never slid even in the rain. The a.b.s works great.

OP
OP

Fangi0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
GT Base PP2
Any links to information on what diff oil upgrade is suggested and what kind of exhaust wrapping? Thanks.
This was their suggestion, verbatim:

replace diff oil with higher viscosity 75W-140 and also introduce exhaust wrap around the pipes that are near the IRS diff unit itself

I did not inquire further then. I will, for my benefit and yours, and post back. Total cost is probably < $400.

The big hammer solution is this one: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4000-M8S, plus installation cost

Meanwhile, if this helps: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-pp2-rear-differential-overheating-issue.106844/

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
He went from a 305 to a 295, not a drag front skinny. I bet he barely notices the difference on the street. I have 275/35/20 fronts with baer 15" brakes and 305/30 rears with about 700hp to the tires and have never had any issues. The tires have never slid even in the rain. The a.b.s works great.
Agreed. Pretty stupid comments.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was their suggestion, verbatim:

replace diff oil with higher viscosity 75W-140 and also introduce exhaust wrap around the pipes that are near the IRS diff unit itself

I did not inquire further then. I will, for my benefit and yours, and post back. Total cost is probably < $400.

The big hammer solution is this one: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4000-M8S, plus installation cost

Meanwhile, if this helps: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-pp2-rear-differential-overheating-issue.106844/
Thanks for the info. I'll start reading that thread when I have more time. I did look into this.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

Much cheaper than the Ford option.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
exhaust wrap around the pipes that are near the IRS diff
yup, something like $60 for 5 ft of the good stuff. I ordered mine thru threepedals.com which is a vintage muscle car shop in Sterling VA

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yup, something like $60 for 5 ft of the good stuff. I ordered mine thru threepedals.com which is a vintage muscle car shop in Sterling VA
How far does 5 ft go? Just wondering how much I'd really need? What's considered "good stuff"?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/heatshield-armor
I bought 1/4" x 6 so it'll leave 1" gap which I'll face away from the diff. It'll cover about 5 linear feet. The back plate is a very nice chunk of aluminum so it'll move heat pretty well on it's own aside from being in the shadow of the air-flow. Thought about machining it with grooves but that countour is only about 1/4" thick. I believe the primary source of heat is radiant from the close inboard headers. The insulation is a cheap, simple way to mitigate it.

OP
OP

Fangi0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
GT Base PP2
Thanks for the info. I'll start reading that thread when I have more time. I did look into this.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

Much cheaper than the Ford option.

My pleasure. Much cheaper --I believe I had seen it in the thread I shared. Please feel free to share what you end up choosing. I asked Akins Ford RE: service/questions (in general) as promised:

any one needing service or questions send them my way
Contact Neal Sheppard. Main: (770) 867-9136. nsheppard at akinsonline dot com.

He has been very knowledgeable and helpful. Akins Ford is well-known in GA for their excellent customer treatment and good prices. Anything else I can help with, let me know.

BTW, see this: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nces-raves-quirks.111683/page-16#post-2550969

Last edited:

jmorris47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I had never owned a Mustang before, and ordered the PP2 based on reviews and owners' feedback (a first!) --there was no PP2 available for me to test drive; I did test drive a PP1, the first Mustang with me on the wheel. I (barely) drove the PP2 for 8 blocks when it arrived, and could not be happier. Love it. Thanks to all Mustang family members for sharing and making choices like mine possible. What a great machine.

Here are some pictures from the guys at Akins Ford (where I purchased it, they are also doing the upgrades).

Vehicle:
  • GT base PP2
  • Recaro cloth
  • Active exhaust
  • Enhanced security package
Vehicle timeline:
  • Configured - Dec 2018, configuration submitted to dealer
  • Order finalized - 1st week Jan 2019
  • Vehicle arrived at dealer - last week of April 2019
Modifications (Mechanic):
  • Roush Supercharger
  • Oil pump gears
  • Crank sprocket
  • Oil separator
  • Half shafts
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/35R19 front, 305/35R19 rear
I will be selling the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, 305/30R15, PM me if interested . They have 15 miles

Modifications (Cosmetic):
  • Ford Performance sills
  • Gloss black rear panel (solid)
  • Black shift knob
I did not know that they needed to drop the engine (!) to install the oil pump gears.

Will post more pictures and share feedback.

Happy to join the family!

View media item 15155View media item 15156View media item 15157View media item 15159View media item 15158View media item 15154View media item 15153View media item 15152
Recent updates:

View media item 15191View media item 15192View media item 15193
Sponsored