new mach1 break in procedure

s650user

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Mustang mach1
I just bought a new 2022 mach1 with handling package. I did not expect my car would come at this time. It’s already cold where I live and am going to keep it in my garage until next spring. It has 15 miles on the dash. Can I still follow the break in procedure when I get it out in spring? Do I need to do anything special while it sits in my garage through the winter? Should I need to start and idle the car for some time once every week?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Should I need to start and idle the car for some time once every week?
That is the absolute worst thing you could do. The rings will never seal and moisture will build up on the cylinders. Park it and wait till spring, or a warm day when you can drive it for at least 20 miles non stop.

Personally I break them in like I'm going to drive them. Ford runs them in at the factory.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you’re not going to drive it, install jacking rails ang put it on stands to reduce the chance of flat spotting the tires. When spring rolls around, run it as hard as you like without worrying. If anything happens, you’ll be covered under warranty.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
If you’re worried about flat spotting the tires, you can also pump them up to just under max press like Ford does for transport.

I can’t honestly say if starting will hurt it or not, but seems logical it’s not a great idea, given Ford suggests driving it at a variety of RPMs.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/how-to-break-in-your-mustang

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
There's no such thing as flat-spotting tires. At worst, it's a temporary thing that goes away in 15 minutes of driving.

You car came with Cup 2 tires I believe. I'd be looking into getting some MPS4S tires.

Just drive the car like you stole it, don't baby it. Beat on the engine right away.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Don't start it during the winter, just park it inside after a good wash and overinflate the tires a little bit (I do mines at 3 bars).

Charge the battery once every month or connect a battery tender. Most modern good quality chargers have the functionality of battery tender built in.
If there are good sunny days without salt on the road drive her to make at least 15-20 miles to warm up everything really good.

Do a proper break-in period for the first 1.000 miles as the manual states. Don't put too much strain on the engine, just be light on her for that period and all will be good.
Don't ever trust who states to hammer down a new engine, that's a very bad practice.

thedervidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2001 GT (totaled 5/4/22), 22 GT
People talk a lot about break in here, as if there is something specific to do. I tend to think of break in as something that happens, not something you do.

If I was OP, I'd probably just park it if you're not planning on driving it in the Winter. Then get her out in the spring and enjoy

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
@s650user only additional thing I do in addition to what’s mentioned is run stabil through the system to a full tank. If you are a manual, leave in neutral, no e-brake, block the tires and cover it

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Welcome to the forums.

There are several threads on both storage and break-in you can search for and read in detail. The comments above provide a great summary.

Agree with @K4fxd . Your piston rings in-particular have yet to completely seat. If you cannot consistently take the car out, bring up to full temperature and stress it, you're better off stowing for the Winter.

In the mean time, you can cruise the threads and study what others have done past for best break-in.
Sponsored