Sponsored

New front tires - alignment?

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I have been working on my car and had the wheels off - the fronts don't look good at all! The inside is showing the cords and the outside is not down to the wear bars yet. I think this is fairly common with these cars (PS4s tires) but maybe not. I'm planning to get new front tires and get the alignment checked. Is this type of wear typical for these cars and/or do I need to have the shop use a different
20220328_092109.jpg
alignment spec? I'm wondering if the uneven wear is due to some type of performance alignment setting - as always - thanks for the help!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience (3 sets of Michellins replaced so far) this is pretty normal end. While its annoying to have a tire with plenty of tread get thrown out due to wear on just that inside edge, I have been getting 20k out of them, which aint too bad for summer tires overall.

still, getting the alignment checked when you replace tires will ensure they don’t die early due to easily correctable alignment issues. Alignments do drift over time.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That looks more like it's been rubbing on the strut rather than just having overly negative camber. Are there marks on the strut?

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
In my experience (3 sets of Michellins replaced so far) this is pretty normal end. While its annoying to have a tire with plenty of tread get thrown out due to wear on just that inside edge, I have been getting 20k out of them, which aint too bad for summer tires overall.

still, getting the alignment checked when you replace tires will ensure they don’t die early due to easily correctable alignment issues. Alignments do drift over time.
Thanks for the info. The rears still look OK and are a ways off from being down to the wear bars. I was thinking of replacing the fronts and leaving the rears for a while - since they are a different size from the fronts (GT PP1) I don't think it will be a big deal. Could the shop adjust the camber slightly to get the inside to last a little longer?

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
That looks more like it's been rubbing on the strut rather than just having overly negative camber. Are there marks on the strut?
I have the wheels back on now - I guess I didn't look at the struts. Wouldn't I notice if they were rubbing on something (sound, feel, etc)? The wheels are the stock PP1 wheels with the factory tires and no suspension mods so I guess I wouldn't think they would rub...

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
that is a TOE problem, not camber. Demand zero toe.
You can double check that by running your fingers over the outside tread along the circumference of the tire. Toe error can cause "feathering", where you can feel sharp edges across the trade blocks in one direction or the other.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like your car is toed out too far. Typical wear for that kind of issue.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It looks like your car is toed out too far. Typical wear for that kind of issue.
Thank you. Anyone have a link to what the stock alignment specs are? Are the specs different between a base model, GT, GT PP1, etc?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's been posted all over the forum. And there is a media.ford.com link I can't be arsed to dig up again. Despite the below, you want <=0.1 TOTAL toe (half each side) if possible, 0.2 TOTAL toe at worst - for the FRONT. Rear is fine as depicted.

Ford alightment GT.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
it's been posted all over the forum. And there is a media.ford.com link I can't be arsed to dig up again. Despite the below, you want <0.1 TOTAL toe (half each side) if possible, 0.2 TOTAL toe at worst.

Ford alightment GT.jpg
Thank you!

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
The rear tires look to be wearing evenly. Do you guys think I should have the rear aligned as well as long as I am at the shop? I don't think I have ever had a vehicle that had any rear alignment capabilities...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The rear tires look to be wearing evenly. Do you guys think I should have the rear aligned as well as long as I am at the shop? I don't think I have ever had a vehicle that had any rear alignment capabilities...
Yeah, its not a bad idea. If you dial ~0.12-0.15 toe IN per side in the rear it helps with stable handling, both when spinning tires in a straight line and also cornering.

Might as well since you'll be in there anyway.

Turbobusa311hp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Performance
I've had my 2018 GT w/Performance Package since new and that's totally normal wear. Rears wear even and fronts go bald on inside edge on cars with Performance Package. Not sure if there is enough play to correct it without aftermarket camber plates, so I'll let someone more experienced chime in on that.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I have ever had a vehicle that had any rear alignment capabilities...
buy a pair of Moog K100411 and install them while they are in there.
Sponsored