Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
If a couple of Supreme Court rulings blow Chevron Deference out of the water, which looks likely, the EPA and their regulations could be challenged as Executive Branch over reach. This would force the EPA and the President to get new rules (ATF, EPA, etc.) passed through congress before enforced/enacted.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
Such a laughable ambition given that, in Calif, it would have required the addition of 20 nuke plants btwn now and 2030 to accommodate the demand (funny that I've only seen one EE speak publicly on the subject...everybody else just can't seem to understand that just b/c they bought an EV doesn't mean that the Govt is ahead of the power curve to support the [power] demand). Hell, Calif hasn't built a new dam in 25 years let alone another nuke plant.

It gets even better when we talk about the backbone of the logistic network in our US of A: our truckers. Those certainly will not be tron powered under current technology (unless Doc's Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor powered by garbage really comes into being).

John Deere was offering incentives to get farmers to bite on the idea of electric tractors. It all sounds good in the hallowed halls of those who believe they know better...until the farmer asks them just how in the hell can he drive the field equipment 15 miles from the maint barn to the wheat field, cut for 8 hours and get it back to the barn on a single charge when the battery would be 30% depleted by the time it even got to the field. Does the tractor come with a diesel generator that, wait for it, gets pulled by a diesel rig driven by another overhead employee with all the spare parts to keep the two pieces of overhead equipment operating to simply keep one battery powered tractor operating? And, OBTW, said farmer needs 10 tractors to service over 200 sq miles.

I'm happy to have lived when cars provided a visceral feedback that is such a major part of the attraction to the 5.0/5.2's we so dearly enjoy. While I did test drive a Tesla once (and, yes, the instant torque and constant acceleration is breathtaking), the just as breathtaking redhead sales gal in the right seat said that it appeared I enjoyed myself and asked me what I thought.

I said, "Well, please don't get me wrong as I've never had sex with a blow up doll. But if I did, I think it would be just like this car. Dudes like a little feedback...ya know?"

The look on her face was priceless.

We'll never get from A-Z with current battery technology and it's insulting to be told we can and that we have the resources to do it.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
"Well, please don't get me wrong as I've never had sex with a blow up doll. But if I did, I think it would be just like this car. Dudes like a little feedback...ya know?"
I am SO stealing that!!
It all sounds good in the hallowed halls of those who believe they know better...until the farmer asks them just how in the hell
What kind of low rent neanderthal gets his hands dirty or toils in sweat? For 8 whole hours a day? You mean like, EVERY day? Don't we have robots for that ?

You do know corn flakes and Wheaties comes from the grocery store in a convenient box? I just open it and they're right there. Just pour my soy milk which comes in a biodegradable recycled paper carton (lined with plastic, mind) and I saved the planet an entire half a cows worth of farts!! And I do this every day. So that's what 200 cows that we don't need anymore? Someone should pin a medal to my chest and thank me for my service.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
While you obviously can't will alternatives into existence with mandates and talk, I suspect they won't really have to. It doesn't take a lot to destabilize the oil market as we saw in 2022. All it really takes is a lot of normally reliable supply or refining capacity to go down. The Saudis always over report reserves so who knows where they're at. Yeah, there's enough oil in the ground for hundreds of years, but much like just in time manufacturing, the oil market isn't really ready for any sort of major shifts. On top of that, its not like anyone is building new refineries despite continued population growth. That alone has already cemented the writing onto the wall.

I really don't see any alternatives to more diversification in energy supply as time goes on. Oil obviously will always be needed for production of plastic and other core stuff, but as the price rises, the first thing to go is the more unnecessary uses like general transportation. And yes, I know that a barrel of oil is made up of different stocks, and the stuff used for gasoline/diesel/kerosene is always going to be there. But production falling or price increasing still means less available overall for those uses.

People will be running for EV's once gas gets obnoxious enough. That's probably why CA has one of the highest adoption rates, lmao

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
I disagree. We’re in a lose-lose situation this go around IMO. For different reasons but in the end, we the people will ultimately lose. We need (and deserve) better choices.

And I will leave it at that as this is not the forum for such discussions.
Agree to disagree, we’ll leave it at that

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hell, Calif hasn't built a new dam in 25 years let alone another nuke plant.
Hello; California recently breached some dams. Maybe five on a salmon run river. The Klamath (sp) maybe. Some of those breached dams had been generating power but no longer.
A sadly ironic side effect turns out to be an environmental disaster due to the breaching of the dams. I posted a link about this some weeks ago.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
People will be running for EV's once gas gets obnoxious enough.
Even if they do regulate super high oil prices we don't have enough electric power plants to supply 40% EV use,

What are people going to do when electric prices top 1 dollar a KW?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think we need the option of a ‘thumbs down dislike’ button on this site, ‘liking’ obviously sends a message, while abstaining from liking does not !
That's what sad, angry and sometimes laugh is for. Now do I like your post and torture you with the uncertainty of my intent?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Run out to harbor fright for a gasoline generator. Or invent efficient hamster wheel technology. Or go back to the old days of begging rides off their friends and having to choose which payment to make: "gas" grass or ass. Maybe it'll be oats, chicken or water in those prosperous days.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
People will be running for EV's once gas gets obnoxious enough. That's probably why CA has one of the highest adoption rates, lmao
Even if they do regulate super high oil prices we don't have enough electric power plants to supply 40% EV use,

Hello; Afraid ice445 has an unrealistic view concerning the energy demands for transportation, home heating & cooling, industry and general consumer use of electricity. The math adds up to the grid is not going to be ready for likely many decades, if ever.

I want to hammer a point or two briefly. Unlike a few I do think the recovery rate of oil will diminish over time. Thing is if we include recoverable tar sands oil and the tech which allows a greater percentage of recovery from conventional wells oil can last a good while. Coal and natural gas can be converted to liquid fuels as well. So, there can and will be supply & demand ebbs and spikes, but liquid fossil-based fuels will be around a good while.
A point i hope to make is that it is the timeline for EV transition and doing away with fossil fuels which is a main issue. Deadlines in the 2030's are unrealistic.
It is not that the grid and EV's can never become mainstream, but the timeline might need to take many decades if not more than a century using current technology. There are other timeline issues in addition to capacity (volumes) of electric power. One being the cost to upgrade the grid. Concentrated in a ten-to-fifteen-year window the needed upgrades likely will bankrupt nations and societies. (do not forget part of the planned change is to have all electric home heating & cooling)

Lest I neglect an important point, let me address the poorly conceived excuse the activists picked to try to motivate this "green" and EV agenda. Those are the scare tactics which are the base behind so many of the campaigns. Global warning (climate change) being top scare tactics currently. I am old, 76, so have seen various tactics used. One of the failures of past tactics was to predict some major gloom and doom in ten or 12 years. The ten or twelve years would go by, and things might be a bit worse but not catastrophic. The current tactic is cleverer in that the doom is some 50 to 100 years from now.
Do not get me totally wrong. I do see serious environmental issues afoot around the world. Had a notion about such back around 1975 and took what steps I could. I have paid attention to environmental issues for many decades thru my profession and a personal interest. The way it looks for now to me is the green and EV agenda will be trading an understood fossil fuel environmental set of issues for an unknown (at least less understood) as yet set of "green energy and EV" set of environmental issues. I can see the environmental side effects from the green agendas being worse than use of fossil fuels. A kicker being the timeline as i started out with this post.

Enough from me for now.
Sponsored