Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That was a good combination Bob, I ran it also about the same time, 30-40 years ago.
First ran the 427 in 68 Mustang and it ran like a 10.7, then put 428 crank in it and change
to a 86 T-bird and ran like 9.5. Then swapped the toploader to a Lenco and ran 9.2 with
it. Loved them FE. But I thought it was going to be easier to make more power with the
429/460, so I built a 598 and went 8.2, then a 665 in a 93 T-bird and went 7.2. Then put it
on the bottle, never ran a 1/4 with the bottle. What is it in drag racing, just can't never go
fast enough can we lol.
This is off-topic, but curious what stroke you need to get 665 ci?
Sponsored

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
That really wasn’t a problem with the Chevy SS. They only imported a total of about 13,000 over a 4 (Maybe 5) year period.
Yes. It was a niche vehicle. Fully loaded with the highest output engine available for the Commodore. Not exactly something the everyman is interested in. Still had year-over-year sales increase and every test I rea of the thing praised it effusively.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes. It was a niche vehicle. Fully loaded with the highest output engine available for the Commodore. Not exactly something the everyman is interested in. Still had year-over-year sales increase and every test I rea of the thing praised it effusively.
A lot of people don't realize Chevy only brought the SS to the USA because they HAD to. They were contractually obligated to keep the Holden factory open and to produce a certain number of cars before being allowed to close down. This is exactly why all the SS's that came stateside were fully loaded, with the only actual options being auto/manual and sunroof IIRC. They wanted to make as much $$ as possible with each unit since they were being forced to make them anyway. How well it sold was irrelevant since Holden was destined to go away no matter what.

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
A lot of people don't realize Chevy only brought the SS to the USA because they HAD to. They were contractually obligated to keep the Holden factory open and to produce a certain number of cars before being allowed to close down. This is exactly why all the SS's that came stateside were fully loaded, with the only actual options being auto/manual and sunroof IIRC. They wanted to make as much $$ as possible with each unit since they were being forced to make them anyway. How well it sold was irrelevant since Holden was destined to go away no matter what.
That's interesting, I never knew that.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Holden made some great cars over the years. The last GTO in the early 2000s was a rebadged Holden Monaro. Those Holden Chevy SS and GTO models bring good money on BAT.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Australia has never had the emission and fuel economy regulations we have, so they have always had some pretty wicked "hot rods". The Holden Maloo Ute was one of the best and last. Here's a 1700 whp one:
hsv-vf-ute-6.jpg

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You are absolutely correct sir. The other part of the story is that there was also a police only version which factored into the 30k. I was literally in the room when the decisions on these vehicles were being made. This was all negotiated as part of the wind-down of Pontiac. The G8 became the Chevrolet SS / Chevrolet Caprice PPV
chevrolet-caprice-po-2.jpg

Sponsored

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
That might not be the case. Take this with as many grains of salt as you feel are necessary, but according to someone on Wikipedia who apparently works with Ford, S650 will be an updated version of the current architecture. S750 will use the new Exploder platform. My guess as to why is that Ford needs more time to pull weight out of CD6 and make it work for the Mustang (which is kind of odd considering that this new platform was supposed to be modular IIRC).
according to the most recent news I can find (Autoweek, Aug 18 2020, which I will take over a random Wikipedia editor), the S650 "... next-gen Mustang is going to be built on the new rear-wheel/all-wheel drive platform now underpinning the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. That makes us a little nervous considering the Mustang has grown and grown, and now it will probably grow again."

Yes, I've heard the same reports you did, but most of them are over a year old. Sounds like they might have fixed the CD6 issue.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Increased size would be logical as it would allow more room for cooling, safety requirements and accessories.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
If you're thinking about a Bullitt or a Mach 1 do it now. They certainly will not happen with the S650 and by the time the S750 gets here who knows what the engine options will be.
Curious why you say that?

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
according to the most recent news I can find (Autoweek, Aug 18 2020, which I will take over a random Wikipedia editor), the S650 "... next-gen Mustang is going to be built on the new rear-wheel/all-wheel drive platform now underpinning the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. That makes us a little nervous considering the Mustang has grown and grown, and now it will probably grow again."

Yes, I've heard the same reports you did, but most of them are over a year old. Sounds like they might have fixed the CD6 issue.
Fair enough.

Here's where I talked with the guy, which was before that Autoweek report came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ford_Mustang_(sixth_generation)#D2C_or_S550?

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Fair enough.

Here's where I talked with the guy, which was before that Autoweek report came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ford_Mustang_(sixth_generation)#D2C_or_S550?
yeah, I think this quote right here shows that your information is now out of date.
"D5 will be reused by S650, replaced with S750 on CD6 for 2027. "

According to Autoweek, "Automotive News is reporting that the next, seventh-gen Ford Mustang will stick around until at least 2030,"

So, it looks like they may have been planning on going with the D5 at one point if they could not get the CD6 platform where they needed it to be, but for one reason or another, those plans are now changed. It's possible they got the platform to where they needed it to be, or it's possible they decided live with it and have it be bigger. Of course, it's also possible that all reports we have had until now (including this report) are wrong/disinformation. Lots of possibilities
Sponsored

Last edited: