jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ford needs to get the CAFE numbers up, so the next engine has to get better MPGs. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though. The new engines will make more HP & torque.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
To me, it would not do diddly. My 2019 with less than 10k can deliver more HP than the GT500 and still get over 20mpg. Its like Apple and their IPhones. They know every-time they come out with a supposedly newer and better iPhone their hardened customers will sell their perfectly just fine 7 month old phone to buy the new one. I stopped chasing the bread crumb trail long ago and just stay away from the Rabbit Holes. But hey, Thats how they sell products.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I am an older guy and I have had 5 supercharged Mustangs. But many years ago I had several big block engines in Fords and one Mopar. No matter what anyone says they have a unique feel and place.
I regret that I have not driven a 6.4 SRT or 6.2 Hellcat, but I imagine they are very fun to drive.

To me the place for the bb engine is a mid sized car like the old Torino or Fairlane. I am interested to see if Ford moves back to a serious performance 4 door automobile based on the Mustang chassis. It seems easy to do to me. Slight stretch. Same width. It would be very cool and we might get 20-50K models sold in a higher price range making the car profitable especially since a pushrod motor is much cheaper to make than the Coyote.

Remember, going EV means the CAFE would be much easier to accomplish.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, Ford doesn't want to build cars anymore, except for the Mustang, and sure won't build a gas hog, unless they see significant $$$.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
the Hellcat charger is the most insane production car to accelerate I have ever driven. (Which makes me wonder what a tesla feels like) I agree with those above touting the 3.5 ecoboost, I have the 400HP version in my expedition (7500 lbs) and off the line in 4 wheel drive it will move all the way to 80-90 kmph then aerodynamics become the issue.

Gobs of power and torque low down where you want it for daily driving. At low rpm, sub 3000, it makes the coyote feel anemic. And if you moderate your right foot not bad MPG but like all turbos the moment you get it into boost your MPG becomes, probably, worse than a similar powered NA engines MPG.

Now if we had a 5.0 v8 ecoboost....hmmmmmmmmmmm

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am an older guy and I have had 5 supercharged Mustangs. But many years ago I had several big block engines in Fords and one Mopar. No matter what anyone says they have a unique feel and place.
I regret that I have not driven a 6.4 SRT or 6.2 Hellcat, but I imagine they are very fun to drive.

To me the place for the bb engine is a mid sized car like the old Torino or Fairlane. I am interested to see if Ford moves back to a serious performance 4 door automobile based on the Mustang chassis. It seems easy to do to me. Slight stretch. Same width. It would be very cool and we might get 20-50K models sold in a higher price range making the car profitable especially since a pushrod motor is much cheaper to make than the Coyote.

Remember, going EV means the CAFE would be much easier to accomplish.
Guy at the Gas Station this weekend had a Cougar (actually my mistake it was a Galaxie) with a 427 on his trailer heading to the track. Runs NA mid 10 sec passes. So I agree. Love to see something like 427 in a sedan type muscle car.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree with the ecoboost engines. My 3.5 Explorer with the SSI tune was ridiculously fast. With the 87 octane tune it would spin the tires if I accelerated too quick hauling a tractor. My son bought my SHO and got some other intake parts and another SSI tune and he drove my 2018 Mustang GT recently. He said, "Dad, that thing is a dog"... Seriously, the turbos are amazing.

So, yes. Let's put a tt on the Coyote and then we will have BB torque. Of course then we'll need AWD to get the car moving!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I stroked the 427 in my '64 Galaxie with a 428 CJ crank. Made 454 cubic inches. I also used the C^ out of a 428CJ mustang. Super sleeper. Looked all stock including the beautiful XL interior. I distinctly remember going to Lapeer dragway 40 years ago and turning a 14.40@ 101 using ONLY 2nd gear with G78/14 Michelins on it. 3.0 axle ratio. Really ridiculous torque and sound.

Sold that beautiful car to help raise my family.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the Hellcat charger is the most insane production car to accelerate I have ever driven. (Which makes me wonder what a tesla feels like) I agree with those above touting the 3.5 ecoboost, I have the 400HP version in my expedition (7500 lbs) and off the line in 4 wheel drive it will move all the way to 80-90 kmph then aerodynamics become the issue.

Gobs of power and torque low down where you want it for daily driving. At low rpm, sub 3000, it makes the coyote feel anemic. And if you moderate your right foot not bad MPG but like all turbos the moment you get it into boost your MPG becomes, probably, worse than a similar powered NA engines MPG.

Now if we had a 5.0 v8 ecoboost....hmmmmmmmmmmm
We have a V-8 Ecoboost. It's called the Shelby GT500. I couldn't agree with you more, regarding the Ecoboost low rpm torque. It's one of the reasons I bought the Ecoboost Mustang, over the GT. The 2.3 L makes max torque below 3,000 RPM, and with the 10R80 it makes for a great daily driver. What other car can run a 13.20 1/4 mile and consistently get 35 MPG at 70 MPH.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I read that the new 6.8 is a destroked 7.3, and will put out 600HP NA.
Seems unlikely, as it would be too much for a standard GT, and not enough for a GT500/Raptor. Or will 450-500HP with Hybrid system making up the rest?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I stroked the 427 in my '64 Galaxie with a 428 CJ crank. Made 454 cubic inches. I also used the C^ out of a 428CJ mustang. Super sleeper. Looked all stock including the beautiful XL interior. I distinctly remember going to Lapeer dragway 40 years ago and turning a 14.40@ 101 using ONLY 2nd gear with G78/14 Michelins on it. 3.0 axle ratio. Really ridiculous torque and sound.

Sold that beautiful car to help raise my family.
Funny. I asked him if he had been to Lapeer dragway. This was in Howell at the gas station at 59 and Latson. It was ruby red. When he said consistent 10.6's I almost shit my pants. Here I am with a 750 hp car and best time anyone with my setup has gotten was 10.7 in negative DA.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Remember when Chevrolet made a 4 door 6.2 liter sedan? I think 8 people bought bought them.
Sponsored