Sponsored

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
I'm nominally gonna file this under ' misquoted officials' and 'believe it when I see it', at least for the Mustang. Coyote makes plenty of power and I highly doubt it's tapped out. I also remember that pretty much everyone in the Mustang community was dancing in the streets when the 5.0 came back, so I doubt they'd throw away that goodwill.

That being said, this would make a certain amount of sense from a financial standpoint, for the trucks. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Ford to be building 3 different V8 engines that are essentially application specific, and when you consider the fact that the Romeo plant, which builds the 6.2L Hurricane/Boss engine, is due to close in a couple years, with no news of production of that engine migrating, and I think what this engine will be is a replacement for the 6.2L, based on the Godzilla engine. Whether it makes its way into the F-150 is TBD, but I kind of doubt it, since Ford's marketing department has been expending all kinds of warm air extolling the virtues of the EcoBoost engines.

OTOH, I didn't think Ford would build a flat crank V8 for the GT350, and they did...
Sponsored

Last edited:

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Remember when Chevrolet made a 4 door 6.2 liter sedan? I think 8 people bought bought them.
SS sold just fine and was not intended to be a volume car.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The S650 is going to be on the Explorer's architecture sooo it will most definitely be larger. I'm hoping that they chop it down and do some serious weight reduction. The S650 needs to be at most 3,700 lbs compared to the S550's 4,000ish top end.
That might not be the case. Take this with as many grains of salt as you feel are necessary, but according to someone on Wikipedia who apparently works with Ford, S650 will be an updated version of the current architecture. S750 will use the new Exploder platform. My guess as to why is that Ford needs more time to pull weight out of CD6 and make it work for the Mustang (which is kind of odd considering that this new platform was supposed to be modular IIRC).

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Unifor/Ford agreement from 2016 also has the 6.8L mentioned for the Windsor Engine Plant (WEP), but it was a V10 variety according to the Ford website (Here)

Maybe he got confused on which engine goes where, since the 6.8L V10 (Triton) is for the F-Series too.
THAT engine is dead as of MY 2020, and was only available in the Super Duty 450 and 550 Chassis Cabs. Godzilla replaced it.

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
I stroked the 427 in my '64 Galaxie with a 428 CJ crank. Made 454 cubic inches. I also used the C^ out of a 428CJ mustang. Super sleeper. Looked all stock including the beautiful XL interior. I distinctly remember going to Lapeer dragway 40 years ago and turning a 14.40@ 101 using ONLY 2nd gear with G78/14 Michelins on it. 3.0 axle ratio. Really ridiculous torque and sound.

Sold that beautiful car to help raise my family.
That was a good combination Bob, I ran it also about the same time, 30-40 years ago.
First ran the 427 in 68 Mustang and it ran like a 10.7, then put 428 crank in it and change
to a 86 T-bird and ran like 9.5. Then swapped the toploader to a Lenco and ran 9.2 with
it. Loved them FE. But I thought it was going to be easier to make more power with the
429/460, so I built a 598 and went 8.2, then a 665 in a 93 T-bird and went 7.2. Then put it
on the bottle, never ran a 1/4 with the bottle. What is it in drag racing, just can't never go
fast enough can we lol.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm nominally gonna file this under ' misquoted officials' and 'believe it when I see it', at least for the Mustang. Coyote makes plenty of power and I highly doubt it's tapped out. I also remember that pretty much everyone in the Mustang community was dancing in the streets when the 5.0 came back, so I doubt they'd throw away that goodwill.

That being said, this would make a certain amount of sense from a financial standpoint, for the trucks. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Ford to be building 3 different V8 engines that are essentially application specific, and when you consider the fact that the Romeo plant, which builds the 6.2L Hurricane/Boss engine, is due to close in a couple years, with no news of production of that engine migrating, and I think what this engine will be is a replacement for the 6.2L, based on the Godzilla engine. Whether it makes its way into the F-150 is TBD, but I kind of doubt it, since Ford's marketing department has been expending all kinds of warm air extolling the virtues of the EcoBoost engines.

OTOH, I didn't think Ford would build a flat crank V8 for the GT350, and they did...
It doesn't make sense other than for a limited edition.

The current formula for ALL manufacturers to meet EPA economy requirements and have any semblance of production efficiencies is for a suite of motors where the top end power models are a power adder (supercharger or turbo).

The problems with a heavy pushrod motor are 1) Doesn't rev as high which means top end peak power (aka the marketing number) isn't as high (although it's great for broad torque and power which are much more useful to bloated/heavy vehicles like trucks and dodge boats). 2) It's inconsistent with Ford's other lines (increasing manufacturing costs) 3) It doesn't lend itself well (or at least not as good) to boost as the high flowing 4V OHC motors, so it has less "upside."

I'd love to see a BIG, aluminum block pushrod with aftermarket style heads and cams, but Ford won't do that. They'll do what Chevy does and cast the heads to be wide performing and the cams to be somewhat economical and efficient across other conditions than just high end power.

The Godzilla only really makes sense if it either A) costs way less to create the same power as a coyote/blower or B) Costs the same and is equivalent weight.

An iron block, big pushrod only really makes sense at this point for HD trucks and such.

Now, they COULD offer it in some sort of limited run model (like a Boss throwback), but with gas guzzler taxes, weight, inefficiencies across other offerings, etc, I just don't see Ford doing this as a widespread offering.

Unless they've taken a play from Chrysler and decided it's cheaper to offer bloated, 40 year old technology and trim their manufacturing costs, but that's wholly inconsistent with the past 10 years and all the current Ford offerings.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I wonder if this means they will have a variable displacement system similar to the way GM and Chrysler do it.

I have no idea what they plan on doing, but if they are serious about a 6.8L engine for the Mustang, then in the era of high fuel economy standards, then they must have a plan. Cylinder deactivation is one way, and the 10 speed auto is another. They might also plan to have the majority of the cars be electric or hybrid. If they can get the same performance out of an electric as the 2.3, then I can see that going away completely, leaving only one gas choice. If the Mustang does indeed grow to Charger size, then I can easily see it as my next new car...But I might wait for the Bullit or Mach 1 edition (not a GT350/500)

Sponsored

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
The overpriced Australian car. That's why.
If that car had come out in 2013 instead of 2014, I would have purchased the SS in a heartbeat (get it) over my BMW 550. The problem for many was it was the wrong brand.
Most people looking at a BMW won't get a Chevy, and they could not have it be a Cadillac without causing competition issues within that brand. When it was a Pontiac G8, it was ok because that was the performance group for GM. Personally, I think they should have made it a Buick and called it a Grand National...and changed the looks so it didn't look like an overgrown Malibu. That would have made more sense from both a heritage standing and price point. BMW drivers might not want a Chevy, but they might go for a Buick.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The overpriced Australian car. That's why.
Actually, there is a hard import quota on vehicles coming from Australia. It limited the number of Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8, and Chevy SS GM could import at something like 30,000 a year.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
69 Boss 9's are my favorite Mustangs. But stock for stock, the A10 carsxare much quicker and do everything better except that sound.
I should have clarified. I meant take the existing S550 chassis and running gear (put the Godzilla in there) and create the sheet-metal and head-lights to match the outward looks of the '69. Interior mods beyond color is probably impractical.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
But I might wait for the Bullit or Mach 1 edition (not a GT350/500)
If you're thinking about a Bullitt or a Mach 1 do it now. They certainly will not happen with the S650 and by the time the S750 gets here who knows what the engine options will be.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
Actually, there is a hard import quota on vehicles coming from Australia. It limited the number of Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8, and Chevy SS GM could import at something like 30,000 a year.
That really wasn’t a problem with the Chevy SS. They only imported a total of about 13,000 over a 4 (Maybe 5) year period.
Sponsored