Sponsored

Need Some Help With An A/C Issue On My 2017 GT350....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If they are removing the compressor, make sure they remove and replace the studs in the block. Those are single use.
Is this the same for the coyote?

How does not replacing them destroy the engine?

Thanks
Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Dunno about the coyote engine.

In this instance, there is really nothing wrong with the engine. The stud fails and ends up stuck in the block. Ford does not authorize any thread repairs in the block, so they send a new engine. Only under warranty of course.

If this were to happen to me out of warranty, you can bet I would at least try to drill out and repair the thread. Heck, I might even drill it out, cut larger threads, use a bigger stud, and machine the compressor housing to accept the larger stud. It has alignment dowels anyway.

I have no idea what would happen if you were to get a dealer to work on your AC out of warranty, they didn't replace the studs, and then they failed. Who would foot that bill? I would like to think the dealer would. I don't want to find out.

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If they are removing the compressor, make sure they remove and replace the studs in the block. Those are single use.

More than one Voodoo has been replaced due to the AC compressor studs being reused and subsequently failing.

1657729221457.png
thanks for posting this... i have the manual that includes the page you referenced. i used this info to let the service manager know i was informed on the process to replace the compressor. in my case, the compressor was toast; compressor (kit) was installed, lines were flushed and my issues were fixed. they did not have to replace the evaporator or condenser.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my entire A/C replaced under used car warranty. $2000 job

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Looks like my AC compressor is on the way out too. Starting singing to me recently between 1-3K RPM. Air still blows cold. Weird thing is the issue is really only noticeable upon warm restart. If I start cold and just drive it, even when engine temps get up high, the whining isn't as bad as when I start it again when still warm. Then it sounds like a supercharger. Good thing I bought that extended warranty...

Sponsored

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Looks like my AC compressor is on the way out too. Starting singing to me recently between 1-3K RPM...... Then it sounds like a supercharger. Good thing I bought that extended warranty...
exactly the same scenario for me; hope you get it fixed soon.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
exactly the same scenario for me; hope you get it fixed soon.
What was the time interval between the initial compressor whine and then total failure of the AC in your case?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I noticed signs of mine singing probably 10K miles ago. Very gradually got louder and louder. There never was a failure. I replaced mine as preventative.

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Mine is not making any noises but it is taking too long to blow cool air and when it does it's not very cold. I may need to have them check it at next oil change.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That doesn’t sound like any type of failure or problem, jsut need a little service.

Sponsored

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What was the time interval between the initial compressor whine and then total failure of the AC in your case?
in my case, it was about 6 weeks, or approximately 1,400 miles before total failure.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I may need to have them check it at next oil change.
Get them to re-gas and add dye check. They did this with mine and after it went warm again I flashed a UV torch at the front pulley and it was completely covered in fluorescent dye check indicating that the seals in the compressor were gone.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Get them to re-gas and add dye check. They did this with mine and after it went warm again I flashed a UV torch at the front pulley and it was completely covered in fluorescent dye check indicating that the seals in the compressor were gone.
Just FYI - my understanding is that S550's already have dye in them from the factory. At least that's what my OEM service manual says for the 16 GT350. Anyone with loss of cooling might want to try a UV flashlight for a quick look before taking it to the dealer.

Also, don't forget to check the drain line from the evaporator. Just got my wife's forester AC back together and I started with the assumption that the evap was fine - because I'm lazy and didn't want to work behind the dash. Well......turns out that was the problem after lots of unnecessary work. Should have checked the drain line - which had fluorescent oily (compressor oil) discharge. Luckily the evaporator in the Forester wasn't too bad to access compared to other cars.

izo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Oxford White
I had my compressor replaced under warranty. There is a note saying that the studs broke and they had to drill into block for new studs. Will that create any problems for me in the future?
Sponsored