TCP24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hey Guys,

It's been a very bumpy, excruciating, stressful, and downright disappointing 7 months of ownership during my time with my GT350. I figured I would vent a little, and share my experience as today my engine possibly kicked the bucket.

Purchased earlier this year, 2018, 19,000 miles. I'd kept my eye out for a bit looking for a good chance to bite, and finally found the spec I was looking for. Coming from a '16 GT/CS, this was a car unlike anything else I'd driven. I'm sure the majority of us on here have experienced how 'different' and unique these cars are.

The past 4 months have been nothing but misery. What started with cam phasers miraculously failing and turning into a front engine rebuild, to transmission coolant lines spewing fluid across my parking spot and the underside of my car, it has been in and out of the dealer.

Not even two months ago these issues were... 'corrected' (if either of these are related to what transpired today), I received my car back. Nothing but joy to be back in the driver's seat of my dream car. I now face a different, disheartening mechanical failure which makes me uneasy.

I was driving around from this morning till mid day, nothing felt off, wasn't beating on the car. I was simply enjoying losing myself behind the wheel, listening to that beautiful exhaust note, windows down. I come to a turn lane and begin to stop behind the vehicle in front of me. I instantly felt a loss of power, heard what sounded like a 'ping', and couldn't give it any throttle. As I crept up to the car in front, my car violently shook, and choked itself out, and the dash became a Christmas tree. I attempted to get it to turn over, but it got up to 700 rpms, and clunked out again.

Great. Sitting in the turn lane of a busy intersection waiting for the towing company to arrive, people blaring horns and throwing up hands. Great situation to be in.

I hate to say it, but I believe I'm in the same boat as some users on here and other forums that have had their engine go. (I could be wrong, but there was no fluid on the ground under my car, and nothing visual I could see under the hood with thorough inspection, so I'm assuming it's internal).

Does anyone have any similar experience? What transpired with your dealership regarding the engine diagnosis? Should I be concerned and ready to put up a fight? (The car is under warranty, and had oil changed during front engine rebuild not 2000 miles before today). Any red flags that you noticed when this happened? Did your GT350 feel like a hot rod with a heavy cam before it went? Any ideas on what it could be? Will it be an unreasonable amount of time before it is diagnosed and corrected? I am located in Virginia, and not sure if/what lemon law includes/covers or if that's even a possibility in my case, or if buyback may be the ultimatum (if that's even possible for buying it used, I did not purchase it from a Ford dealership).

Before anyone asks, I have contacted Ford Corp, and opened a ticket with reference to my first case (front engine rebuild/trans line replacement) so that this is documented. I also have created a written log of events and kept all dealer printouts for service/repairs for reference.

Any advice, solace, or hearing your experience with the process of diagnostic/replacement/repairs would be greatly appreciated. (I am very disappointed with Ford and my experience so far, so tell me how it is.)
Sponsored

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I dont have any advice but wanted to say I am sorry for your experience. It may be time to cut your losses on this particular car.

OP
OP
TCP24

TCP24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
OP
OP
TCP24

TCP24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I dont have any advice but wanted to say I am sorry for your experience. It may be time to cut your losses on this particular car.
May be... really sucks either way.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Sad to hear about your troubles. Possibly an new motor coming if your powertrain warranty is still intact. What is the car's build date?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
It’s unfortunate these situations arise. Regardless of manufacturer it happens. It may be a blessing in disguise with the mileage and the year of your car. In your situation and the troubles you’ve experienced I’d welcome the new motor and most likely the extended coverage that will accompany it. I would suggest to check the clutch while it’s out. Ford seems to handle these swaps pretty quickly. It’ll just be a memory when its done. Best of luck.

OP
OP
TCP24

TCP24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Sad to hear about your troubles. Possibly an new motor coming if your powertrain warranty is still intact. What is the car's build date?
Warranty is intact. Not only the factory powertrain, but also an extended warranty given to me due to the first issues. My hopes are that with these two, I should have no issues.

OP
OP
TCP24

TCP24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
It’s unfortunate these situations arise. Regardless of manufacturer it happens. It may be a blessing in disguise with the mileage and the year of your car. In your situation and the troubles you’ve experienced I’d welcome the new motor and most likely the extended coverage that will accompany it. I would suggest to check the clutch while it’s out. Ford seems to handle these swaps pretty quickly. It’ll just be a memory when its done. Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply here. Might I ask why you would have them check the clutch? I'm sure they would inspect during the swap to a new motor?

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
At almost 20k miles, its just worth looking at. They should check it. Its one of those things, its out, has to off for the motor swap anyway.

Thanks for the reply here. Might I ask why you would have them check the clutch? I'm sure they would inspect during the swap to a new motor?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Since when does Ford let anybody do a motor swap other then an authorized dealer? The idea that every tech at dealerships is inept is complete bs.

find a better mechanic. ie. don't go back to that dealership.
Sponsored