Just purchased a 2019 GT350R: need some advice

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
I just purchased a 2019 GT350R. The only issue is that I am in Seattle and the car is at a dealership in Indiana. I plan to go out to pick it up and drive it back to Seattle in a couple of weeks. I am looking for advice in preparing for the road trip.
1. and thoughts or cautions on how to modulate spend during the "break-in"period on the road trip. The trip is 2,200 mies.
2. The Michelin Cup 2 tires are not ideal for this kind of trip. I am think of swapping them out for the trip and have the Cup 2's shipped back to Seattle for track use. What tire should I get for the trip given the limited choices in the R wheel and tire size?
3. Some one suggested I remove the front splitter prior to the trip and it may get banged up in route. good idea or not necessary?
4. other suggested supplies ?

I purchased a Cayman R several years ago at a dealer in Nashville and drove it home and that trip enabled me to learn a lot about the car. Looking forward to this trip as well.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
For the first 1K miles I would drive two lane roads and not the interstate......groaning along at a steady speed on the big slabs will or may lead to rings not sealing and oil usage. People may jump me on this, but I'm putting it out there. I think there are two people here that did just that, bought long distance and long drive home on highway and then had oil usage.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Keep in mind that only certain tire machines can change the tires on the R wheels. Make sure the dealership, or one nearby, has the proper machine and training before you swap tires.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
For the first 1K miles I would drive two lane roads and not the interstate......groaning along at a steady speed on the big slabs will or may lead to rings not sealing and oil usage. People may jump me on this, but I'm putting it out there. I think there are two people here that did just that, bought long distance and long drive home on highway and then had oil usage.
I'd imagine as long as hes varying speeds(55-85 depending on local limits) and moving between 4th, 5th and 6th often he should be fine. Just leaving it in 6th would probably be an issue though.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
1. Here's me at less than 1000 miles:

Conventional wisdom would say my car is long blown up. I just crossed 17,000 miles tight as a drum, no excessive oil consumption, no unusual noises. Break in period.......lol.

2. Cup 2's are wider than their measured widths. Get a set of wheels in R spec, run 325/30 and 305/30. Continental ExtremeContact Sports are wonderful for the street.

3. Who the hell told you that? There's plenty of R's being DD'ed without issue. Just pay attention to the road. Where are these people coming from who say such nonsense?

4. Track Time

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
1. Here's me at less than 1000 miles:

Conventional wisdom would say my car is long blown up. I just crossed 17,000 miles tight as a drum, no excessive oil consumption, no unusual noises. Break in period.......lol.

2. Cup 2's are wider than their measured widths. Get a set of wheels in R spec, run 325/30 and 305/30. Continental ExtremeContact Sports are wonderful for the street.

3. Who the hell told you that? There's plenty of R's being DD'ed without issue. Just pay attention to the road. Where are these people coming from who say such nonsense?

4. Track Time

Would the Michelin Pilot sport 4S in 305-30 and 325-30 work on the 11' and 11.5' R carbon wheels?

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
That's one helluva long journey. Me personally, I'd save myself and the car the stress and have it shipped.

Sponsored

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
Do you plan to stop at some place around the 1000 mile mark to get an oil change done? Or do you plan on doing it once you get back to Seattle?

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
I just purchased a 2019 GT350R. The only issue is that I am in Seattle and the car is at a dealership in Indiana. I plan to go out to pick it up and drive it back to Seattle in a couple of weeks. I am looking for advice in preparing for the road trip.
1. and thoughts or cautions on how to modulate spend during the "break-in"period on the road trip. The trip is 2,200 mies.
2. The Michelin Cup 2 tires are not ideal for this kind of trip. I am think of swapping them out for the trip and have the Cup 2's shipped back to Seattle for track use. What tire should I get for the trip given the limited choices in the R wheel and tire size?
3. Some one suggested I remove the front splitter prior to the trip and it may get banged up in route. good idea or not necessary?
4. other suggested supplies ?

I purchased a Cayman R several years ago at a dealer in Nashville and drove it home and that trip enabled me to learn a lot about the car. Looking forward to this trip as well.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I recently purchased a used R in Minneapolis and had it shipped to Seattle. It was a major pain finding a quality closed carrier with lift. I didn't want to go the broker route so that limited my choices. If you've got the time I think the drive would be a blast. I drove my 2015 50 year LE from Seattle to MO and enjoyed the adventure. I find the stock tires tram line like crazy.

If you can, I'd ship wheels/tires and put a package set of LMR wheels/tires on for not only the trip but daily driving if you're inclined. I'm finding it VERY hard to not scrape the front splitter. It always happens when I'm pulling out of parking lot where I might be limited in angle and oncoming traffic makes me more rushed than I'd normally be. I think you'll be fine leaving it on. I would get some clear track tape (you can find on Amazon) and cover the front end and rear quarter panels. I did this when I drove my car from Seattle to MO and got a lot of weird looks but the paint was fully protected. It was well worth the investment.

Congratulations on the new car!!!!! Enjoy!

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
This stuff is great. It rolls on with a small roller supplied and it comes off real easy with water. You just need to make sure the surface is prepped by being clean and waxed. You could roll the whole front of your car, “A” pillar, leading edge of the roof and the front of your rear wheels in no time at all. 2 to 3 coats is best because the more coats the easier it comes off. Only drawback is if it rains on your way home it comes off and you have to reapply.
https://www.amazon.com/Road-Warrior...t=&hvlocphy=1023445&hvtargid=pla-569041175966
Sponsored