Sponsored

Need help with frustrating timing issue...

emh87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium 6MT
So a while back my car started making some terrible noises / ticking and I finally determined the noise to be coming from within the timing cover area on the passenger side. So I ordered the Ford performance cam drive kit (this one: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-cam-drive-kit-mustang-gt-2015-2017/p/M6004A5015/ ), and it finally came in, and got around to tearing it all down and installing.

Long story short, it did fix the ticking noise, and it did start up right away after cranking it over, but within a minute the check engine light started flashing, and it was misfiring at idle. Checked the codes and had P0017: Crank/Cam Position Correlation, along with codes for random misfire on cylinders 2 and 4. I did try a crank relearn at that point, and cleared the codes, and the P0017 came back instantly. My next step was to check the VCT readings on my nGauge, and this is what they were:
nGauge_1.jpg

(Left side top to bottom is intake and exhaust bank 1, and right top to bottom is intake and exhaust bank 2)

It was clear the timing was off, so I pulled it back apart and double checked myself with every step I could from videos and other guides people posted, along with the ford service manual (which at times is way less helpful than other peoples guides).

I even put together this guide from another forum post elsewhere to help: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X9QLRZfyGcn_q8G0XqbZnjwd43ilGvQKUSl4O-4RCCo/edit?usp=sharing

On the second attempt, I made sure I got the cams in the "neutral" position with the lines matching the images from the service manual / guides, and the secondary chains on the cam phasers as described. (Driver side intake phaser with the two black links facing up, and the exhaust with the one black link facing down, both on the timing marks, and the passenger side with the two links on the intake facing outward, and the one black link on the exhaust facing out), both sides slid on the cams in the slots without having to rotate anything very much at all, maybe a millimeter of adjustment while sliding the two phasers on. I matched the primary chain black links up as well, except the only questionable side was the passenger side after finishing driver side and spinning the crank 1 rotation,. and then back to the 12 o'clock position, it was almost impossible to get the lower guide / tensioner arm on without slightly moving the crankshaft clockwise, and then back (which the ford manual says you can do). Even after that it appeared the black links were on their respective marks.

Same issue after this attempt too, and this is the numbers after this attempt as well:
ngauge_2.jpg

The car did feel like it was driving "normal", and even went into boost like 1 or 2 psi with no issue, but obviously something is still wrong with those readings, and the P0017.

I am thoroughly fed up with this car right now, and don't have a clue what could be going so possibly wrong. If anyone has any advice / help or is local to the Akron, OH area I could use it, and would be super grateful.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seems like it's just a problem with bank 1 (passenger side), I'm curious as to what the "error" value or difference between actual and commanded on bank 1 intake and exhaust VCT is at.

The only thing I can think of is that you have the phasers mixed up on bank 1.

OP
OP
emh87

emh87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium 6MT
So apparently third time is the charm when it comes to a lot of things... 🙃🙃🙃

nGauge_3.jpg

So for future reference if anyone runs into anything like this, the issue is the viewing angle on the crank gear for the passenger side primary. From above when it looks like it is lined up with the timing mark (timing mark at 7 o'clock, and keyway at noon), it is actually one tooth behind. So this time I ripped the front end off the car, because I wasn't taking any chances this time, and saw this to be the issue when I could get a good look at everything. When it is actually on the timing mark it will appear to be one tooth ahead.
I also took a picture for my own sanity this time, and probably will do that every time going forward now haha.
crankGear.jpg
Sponsored