MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT - Shadow Black
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am looking for advice and clarification on how to install a dashcam. I have been looking at various YouTube installation videos and forum posts, but seem to keep finding conflicting information which has me concerned as I try to clean up my dashcam install.

I currently have a BlackVue DR750X-2CH and have had it set up in my 2019 Mustang GT for about a year, with it powered by the cigarette lighter outlet. I want to clean up the look of this install and bought BlackVue's Power Magic Pro to have the power come from the interior fuse box instead. Most of my knowledge of this setup and install came from the following YouTube video:

In the video, he installed the Power Magic Pro using fuse taps into fuses 2 and 36. He also put higher fuses in the secondary slot than the primary fuse to "avoid blowing the fuses for the camera".

Looking at other forum posts (like this one: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...he-fuse-taps-for-hardwiring-a-dashcam.123286/ ), it seems that I should use fuses 2 and 23 instead. In addition, I should be using the smallest fuse possible in the secondary slot for the camera as to avoid wrecking the wiring harness. I read that the fuses in a fuse tap stack, so if I have the original 7.5 amp fuse in the primary slot and a 5 amp fuse in the secondary slot for the camera, the fuses wont blow until 12.5 amps pass through the fuse tap setup? Is that correct? I know the video was incorrect in going with a higher fuse in the secondary slot but I am confused as to how the math works for using fuse taps and want to make sure I install it correctly. I know that there is little chance of a camera blowing anything but I want to do it right, understanding the reasons why the install should be done the way it is.

I currently have a pack of micro2 fuses for my car along with the fuse taps and am planning on using the smallest fuse I have (5 amps) for the secondary slot of the fuse taps for the camera and am planning on using fuses 2 and 23. Any advice or clarification on if I am doing something incorrectly or am understanding something wrong is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Rule #1, never put a higher amp load fuse in a fuse "socket" Than the oem rated fuse EVER.
I'd goto blackbox my car.com and their youtube channel and watch a bunch of videos .
The best part about them, they will reply to emails when you ask questions.
I have the later Blackvue that does not need the power majic pro. So I'd watch their video's and fire off an email.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Sound Wave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MC Sheen

MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it! I think for me, I want to continue to try and connect the dash cam to the fuse box.

I went to the BlackBoxMyCar website and found a lot of good information, thank you for the suggestion! I have also reached out and contacted them with my setup.

I will update the thread when I finish the install after I hear back from them.

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I run the Blackvue 2 CH as well. I ran the power to the map lights in the roof console. Powers on when I touch the door and shuts off on its own once the battery in the camera depletes.

Been like this for about a year now with no issues.

OP
OP
MC Sheen

MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Check out this video from our very own @Goose17. He details how he installed his DR900X and is what I used to install mine.

Great video with great instructions! @Goose17 what amp fuse did you use for the camera? It looked like you used another 10 amp fuse for the accessory slot on the fuse tap. If you did it again, would you recommend using the same amp fuse (the 10 amp) or going lower, like a 5 amp fuse tap for the accessory slot of the fuse tap?

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Great video with great instructions! @Goose17 what amp fuse did you use for the camera? It looked like you used another 10 amp fuse for the accessory slot on the fuse tap. If you did it again, would you recommend using the same amp fuse (the 10 amp) or going lower, like a 5 amp fuse tap for the accessory slot of the fuse tap?
I did this install awhile back. Whatever I showed in the video is what I used. I haven’t had any issues… works like a champ! The owner’s manual most likely talks about fuses.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I just hardwired three of my cars with 4k front and rear Dash cams with Parking Mode, GPS with wifi app for camera access. Love them being hardwired with fuse taps. One wire goes to an ignition on power source and the other goes to a continuous power source fuse. I have the power limiter inline with continuous power wire. All wires tucked behind panels, clean look Good luck

Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I just hardwired three of my cars with 4k front and rear Dash cams with Parking Mode, GPS with wifi app for camera access. Love them being hardwired with fuse taps. One wire goes to an ignition on power source and the other goes to a continuous power source fuse. I have the power limiter inline with continuous power wire. All wires tucked behind panels, clean look Good luck
Exactly what I did with excellent results.

OP
OP
MC Sheen

MC Sheen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to provide an update to my install and say thank you again to everyone who shared their installs and insight!

I finished hardwiring my camera and did not use the Power Magic Pro that I had also bought. Looking into my camera after @ICU812 mentioning his had the battery saver already as a part of it, my camera also had battery saving settings built in.

I used two Bussman micro2 fuse taps as suggested in @Goose17's video that I got from Autozone to tap into fuse's 2 and 23 on my GT. Fuse 2 is the 7.5 amp fuse for the power mirror memory module/memory seat module. Fuse 23 is the 10 amp fuse for the switches/power windows/rear view mirror. In the accessory slots for each fuse tap, I added 5 amp fuses to be used by the camera.

I tested the leads for the fuse taps as I went along with a multimeter to make sure I had a constant power on for one, and one that turned on with the car. Everything is now all buttoned up and the camera is working great!

Again, thanks to everyone on the thread, I really appreciate your help!

OzMustang S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Build 07/2018 Mustang GT 6spM (Magnetic)
Just wanted to provide an update to my install and say thank you again to everyone who shared their installs and insight!

I finished hardwiring my camera and did not use the Power Magic Pro that I had also bought. Looking into my camera after @ICU812 mentioning his had the battery saver already as a part of it, my camera also had battery saving settings built in.

I used two Bussman micro2 fuse taps as suggested in @Goose17's video that I got from Autozone to tap into fuse's 2 and 23 on my GT. Fuse 2 is the 7.5 amp fuse for the power mirror memory module/memory seat module. Fuse 23 is the 10 amp fuse for the switches/power windows/rear view mirror. In the accessory slots for each fuse tap, I added 5 amp fuses to be used by the camera.

I tested the leads for the fuse taps as I went along with a multimeter to make sure I had a constant power on for one, and one that turned on with the car. Everything is now all buttoned up and the camera is working great!

Again, thanks to everyone on the thread, I really appreciate your help!
Re fuses #2 & #23 can you please advise which is which with respect to CONSTANT/BATTERY and ACC/IGN. Thanks.