Sponsored

Need help! Messed up my active exhaust tips

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Long story short, I had a shop swap my 2019 GT Valance for GT500. The GT500 valance came with tips. However, to get them put on, the shop had to cut my current tips. That’s where it went downhill.

I have the active exhaust so it made it a bit tricky. The outter tips look “ok”, but inner look awful. I think they cut too much off and I wasn’t really consulted about options or fitting. I wish they tried to alter these big tips before even cutting old ones or advise me it can’t be done. That was my concern. See pictures.

What options do I have to fix this? I thought it would look good and feel terrible at the moment. Any input is appreciated. View attachment 465127 View attachment 465128 View attachment 465129
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
I feel for you brother, I would be furious. Did the shop warn you that they didn't line up before cutting them? Have you discussed your displeasure with the result with them? Your best bet might be to use a different valance and have either a new axle back exhaust installed or sleeve the old tips (not sure what is available tubing wise).

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, I had a shop swap my 2019 GT Valance for GT500. The GT500 valance came with tips. However, to get them put on, the shop had to cut my current tips. That’s where it went downhill.

I have the active exhaust so it made it a bit tricky. The outter tips look fine, but inner look awful. I think they cut too much off. See pictures.

What options do I have to fix this? I thought it would look good and feel terrible at the moment. Any input is appreciated. View attachment 465127 View attachment 465128 View attachment 465129
I am sorry but, Jesus f**** Christ... who did this to your car?
I had no idea you can hire a blind person to be a "mechanic" :D

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
why didn't y ou just remove the tips valence and use your existing ones?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Man, that sucks, I feel your pain. It looks like one of those goofy googly eyes that spin around on a toy:
http://clipartmag.com/download-clipart-image#goofy-eyes-13.jpg

If you paint everything behind the valance tips black with high temp. black paint it may hide it some, including painting the thin wall of the cut muffler tips. Not a great fix, though, I admit. If I think of something better I'll chime back in.

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Wow man that sucks, I would go back there and have a discussion with the people who did that, if not you can escalate from there.

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
Not much you can do here other than a few options.

1. Find a better exhaust shop that may be able to weld together some adapters or piping for the stock pipes to the new exhaust tips.
2. Save up and buy a new axleback/catback exhaust system to replace both the stock pipes that were cut and also replace the larger tips(just sell those or something). I'm sure 4" tips would look fine in there.

I'd probably try option 1 first. See if the shop you got the work done at can help you if you feel like giving them another chance, otherwise I don't think it should *too* hard for someone to fab something up. Whether that be a full connection or atleast try to get some piping the slips into the larger tips and then paint it black to hide it or something.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Damn! Looking at what they did is making me crossed eyed!! Time to buy new parts and find a better shop.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
How much are 500 mufflers ?

At least they would pair with the tips and any joining would be on the front face of the muffler, well under the car and well out of sight ...

WD :like:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Maybe you can salvage the project by doing what I'd have done since the beginning: Remove the fake tips from the GT500 valance, and install tips on your stock pipes. Hopefully the stupid guy left enough pipe to clamp the aftermarket ones to. But if not, you could just weld them in place. You might have to somehow adjust the mufflers a little, to more or less align the tips to the new valance. If it can't be done, then I wouldn't attempt your project. Ha ha. Good luck.

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
My post will be of no direct help here.
I would be FLIPPING PISSED!

Last edited:

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Which aftermarket GT500 diffuser did you install? cause the actual GT500 exhaust tips are welded to the muffler itself not the valance, did they try test fitting it without those tips? or it would have made contact with the upper area?

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
All things aside, just have the shop take a page out of the FP GT350 cat back. just weld on some same diameter bent pipes that can get the exhaust into each housing. this would help prevent any melting or complications leaving exhaust cut too short.

So you will at least have exhaust coming directly thru each tip cover.

Also maybe do high temp black VHT paint on the piping and the GT500 tip brackets to hide it better.

fp ex.JPG

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
yeah they should just add fabricated bent pipes welded to enter each tip.

Did you also get the gap fixed above the valance? it looks like clips might not be fully seated?
Sponsored