Need a voice of reason - did I swap tires too soon? Lol

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Been noticing temps in the high 60s low 70s lately, figured I'd just go ahead and swap back to my PS4S, was on my AS4s.

Traction just isn't as good now. I can easily break the rears loose, especially on a day like today that's only in the 50s and cloudy.

The other day in the 70s I did a pull from a roll and it didn't feel right

The tires have an early 2023 date and plenty of tread left. They were stored inside for the last 6 months, mounted and stacked. But I didn't wrap them in bags and they got indirect sunlight.

I know this is probably obvious but i just need a voice of reason to say once the temps warm up these will grip way harder than the AS4s lol.

I'd just be pissed if the way I stored them uncovered was all it took to ruin grip. I'm probably just getting in my head over it. No way 6 months could ruin them.

I don't remember having issues in these temps in the past, but I always left AdvanceTrac on or sport so maybe I'm just more aware now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blu22HPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium HPP
I doubt storing them as you did, would have any impact as you're describing. While I don't own that particular set of tires, I have noticed with all my summer tires that have or had in past, anything low 50's or colder wouldn't grip the best unless they were properly warmed up. You're probably just used to how the A/S tires feel and just need to readjust into the summers.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine (Conti ECS) are little slippery feeling when it’s in the low 50’s here (like yesterday). Today it’s back near 70F and they feel fine. That’s all you’re really experiencing it sounds like

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Agree with the above. The temps and road temps play a big part with those tires. Put a little heat in them with burnout when the temps are in the 70s. I bet they feel better after that. Just don't do that burnout leaving a cars and coffee. lol we have enough of those guys....

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, I needed to hear that. I have a tendency to overthink everything 😅

Yeah, I'm just used to the AS4s not only in how steering feel is but also in predicting their traction. 30s, 40s, whatever temp I'm good to do whatever. No warm up needed.

I put these PS4S to good use last summer and I KNOW they outperformed in every way back then. But that was like mid June and beyond.

So lesson learned -- I swapped too early :)

Also I've got each winter wheel bagged up now, so I did about all I can do right now

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Agree with the above. The temps and road temps play a big part with those tires. Put a little heat in them with burnout when the temps are in the 70s. I bet they feel better after that. Just don't do that burnout leaving a cars and coffee. lol we have enough of those guys....
Bwahaha good thing I left stability on today 😂 Well, I really want to swap back to the AS4s for another month but that'd be silly at this point lol. I'll just suck it up for a while longer, car's still fun just not as grippy.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, I needed to hear that. I have a tendency to overthink everything 😅

Yeah, I'm just used to the AS4s not only in how steering feel is but also in predicting their traction. 30s, 40s, whatever temp I'm good to do whatever. No warm up needed.

I put these PS4S to good use last summer and I KNOW they outperformed in every way back then. But that was like mid June and beyond.

So lesson learned -- I swapped too early :)

Also I've got each winter wheel bagged up now, so I did about all I can do right now
The good thing is we’re well into May now, so the cooler temps are becoming fewer and fewer.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe, correction, it's all the crap still on the roads left over from winter.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The good thing is we’re well into May now, so the cooler temps are becoming fewer and fewer.
I know, I got a bit excited 😅

I'd think so, except I've been beating the hell out of the AS4 like all winter here lol. We didn't really get any snow this year so not much salt. Only thing I could blame right now is the blooming trees.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don’t know how it is in NY where the OP is, but here in Chicago they haven’t thrown salt in probably 2 months now. And we’ve had so much rain the last month it’s well gone by now. Probably a little different north of the border where you are.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
salt, sand, all kinds of crap gets on the roads during winter. Anyway, that's what I think is happening.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
salt, sand, all kinds of crap gets on the roads during winter. Anyway, that's what I think is happening.
Maybe the tread pattern on the PS4S handles that worse, it certainly wouldn't help anyway!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
They’re summer tires. They like some heat, and its hard to get much heat in them when the ambient conditions are cool and you’re on the street.

But next time yeah, bag ‘em up if you’re storing them for months, and make sure to store them in a constant temperature environment (i.e. indoors, not in a non air conditioned garage). It will help them stay new as possible for as long as possible.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They’re summer tires. They like some heat, and its hard to get much heat in them when the ambient conditions are cool and you’re on the street.

But next time yeah, bag ‘em up if you’re storing them for months, and make sure to store them in a constant temperature environment (i.e. indoors, not in a non air conditioned garage). It will help them stay new as possible for as long as possible.
Yeah I did almost everything else right (cleaned them, indoors constant temp, stacked them mounted, kept out of strong direct sunlight).

I'll update next month with hopefully obvious updates!

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP you are fine. Some of the garage queens don't see the light of day for years LOL 6 months isn't going to do anything.
Sponsored