Need a voice of reason - did I swap tires too soon? Lol

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Same here in PA, switched to summers three weeks ago but today 50* and rainy and they are not as surefooted as my winters were right now. Not dangerous in any sense, but definable easier to break loose. Nature of the beast, and in your case probably also indicative of how good the AS4's are.
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another good reason to get two extra wheels you can swap back and forth all you want!

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 86 SVO, 24 S5, 74 MGB GT
Another good reason to get two extra wheels you can swap back and forth all you want!
Per his build he HAS two full sets.

Summer: Staggered SVE X500 19x11" R / 19x10" F | Michelin PS4S 325/30/19 R | 275/35/19 F

Winter: Staggered SVE CFX 20x11" R/ 20x10" F| Michelin PS AS4 315/35/20 R | 275/35/20 F

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 86 SVO, 24 S5, 74 MGB GT
OP. After I posted your two sets, I see the summers are 26.7" tall and winters are 28.7" tall. That's a BIG difference. You now have a smaller circumference to turn. That explains some of it I'd imagine.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
You gotta chill bro. Burn some of the oxidized rubber off and wait til it warms up

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Same here in PA, switched to summers three weeks ago but today 50* and rainy and they are not as surefooted as my winters were right now. Not dangerous in any sense, but definable easier to break loose. Nature of the beast, and in your case probably also indicative of how good the AS4's are.
Yeah they don't feel dangerous like you said, and you can still go plenty fast on them. The AS4s are insanely good! I beat the hell out of them, absolutely love how they handle too! With the whipple almost able to fully hold 2nd gear from a roll, and we're talking in 50* temps. So now I know for next year -- hold onto the AS4s until mid or late June lol.

I actually have 3 sets hahah, it's just a pain in the ass at this point if I was going to swap back to the AS4s for just one more month. I'm also going on vacation soon, so doesn't seem worth swapping. On the other hand ... I'm already missing the traction lol.

OP. After I posted your two sets, I see the summers are 26.7" tall and winters are 28.7" tall. That's a BIG difference. You now have a smaller circumference to turn. That explains some of it I'd imagine.
I know ... the PS4S is actually tough to size for 19" rims. I'm basically maxed out height wise for an 11" wide. I could step up to a 20" rim just like my winter wheels. That was an absolute game changer. I thought with the whipple this winter was going to be on baby mode ... not even close lol. I shut off AdvanceTrac every dry day this winter. No grip from a dig of course lol, but I gave that up when I went FI hah.

But here's the thing -- I know 26.7" is way shorter than 28.7". But last summer believe me I had NO trouble with grip. Curves, straight line, didn't matter. These PS4S did whatever I asked and I had full confidence they would hold.

I want to keep the shorter tires not only to save money on upsizing, but also the effective gear ratio should help pull harder.

You gotta chill bro. Burn some of the oxidized rubber off and wait til it warms up
And that's where this comes in lol. Maybe wearing them down a lil bit and warm temps and I'll be back to where I was.

--------

Thank you all for getting me out of my head on such a silly thing :-) Worst case if I really still have issues, is buy new tires lol. But sounds like it'll all be good soon

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I had a set of PS4S which were stored properly and went to crap after a few years at near full tread depth. If after burning off the outer layer, they aren't obviously vastly superior to the all season, then they are dead and need to go. A summer tire should be very confidence inspiring by the time weather is in the 60s.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had a set of PS4S which were stored properly and went to crap after a few years at near full tread depth. If after burning off the outer layer, they aren't obviously vastly superior to the all season, then they are dead and need to go. A summer tire should be very confidence inspiring by the time weather is in the 60s.
How many years were they stored away for? That really sucks.

I didn't put too many miles on the installed-again PS4S so yeah, still hoping they're fine lol.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
My car is a 2018. I ordered new “everyday” summer tires June 2021. Wow time flies.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My car is a 2018. I ordered new “everyday” summer tires June 2021. Wow time flies.
Sorry, not to sound dense, but are you saying you swapped them back and forth for 3 years?

I heard summer tires in general have a much shorter shelf life. But mine are dated Jan 2023!

I put about 200 miles on them today, not because of this thread lol just worked out that way. They feel alright, temps were mid 60s. Feels more understeer prone than my all season setup, but I know I'm 10mm wider out back now. But that ain't much lol

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Sorry, not to sound dense, but are you saying you swapped them back and forth for 3 years?

I heard summer tires in general have a much shorter shelf life. But mine are dated Jan 2023!

I put about 200 miles on them today, not because of this thread lol just worked out that way. They feel alright, temps were mid 60s. Feels more understeer prone than my all season setup, but I know I'm 10mm wider out back now. But that ain't much lol
I have snow tires and only use my summer tires in the summer. so I guess my old PS4S lasted 3 summers before getting hard.

In general, as traction goes up, car dynamics get more understeery.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
What are your tire pressures? If you had topped them off at the end of the season last year (when it was cold) they could be over inflated.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What are your tire pressures? If you had topped them off at the end of the season last year (when it was cold) they could be over inflated.
This is a good point, but I set them to 31 all around so I don't think that's it.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Made another long drive today -- but this time temps ended up hitting high 70s.

Wow, what a DIFFERENCE! AdvanceTrac off and 3rd gear pulls all day, baby! I had 100% confidence in my tires, there wasn't a single point I wasn't sure if they'd hold the corner or the power.

I do think part of the reason they feel better now though is I burned off the outer layer that's been exposed to the air for the last half year.

Now when it gets even warmer, I'll see if I can get my tires to hold 2nd gear lol. Being under 27" tall I'm not sure !