Sponsored

NA Twin vs single disc

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
was pretty much sold on a single disc organic setup with lightened steel flywheel and then came across this: Exedy twin

anyone have experience with this exedy ET05SRFD ? lethal has some other nice setups too just a bit shy with the ceramic discs as i dont need the holding power they offer and have had 6pucks/ high clamp singles on past boosted cars. left calf is still larger than the right .

with the flywheel included for this twin setup, you are right there with a single disc/flywheel price wise.

cars FBO NA, street manors and consistency in 7500rpm shifts are important to me. 95% street with a few strip visits from time to time. no HPDE style events.
Would not mind a light clutch pedal, but assuming the twin disc would push engagement higher up the stroke from a taller disc/PP and less slave travel. appears like it would be easier on the hydraulics too as the PP is about half the normal upgraded single discs ratings.

aside from the power holding being higher, is there a downside to using a twin when a single would do? the 3rd gens and voodos came with twin discs factory and they arent very far from the gen2 (gen3 anyways and even voodo once modded.).
Sponsored

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
Whatever it's worth I run an Exedy Mach 600 with aluminum flywheel with whipple stage 2 making 724 on 91 and 804 on E85, shift at 8k no problem and driveability is great.

OP
OP

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Where's the engagement point on that setup at in the pedal stroke?

Is that the puck style disc or full face button style? You're prob hovering around max tq for that setup. The twin organic discs ends up at the same whtq according to exedy literature too.

I pulled the trigger on the twin disc. Pressure plate clamping is about 75% of stock and 55% of the one your running from the mach 500/600 setup. Will get some weights on it and measurements on engagement point too.

Thinking of adding an extra mounting point to the clutch pedal for the master pushrod pivot. should give a bit of adjustment to the engagement point if its too high.

OP
OP

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
will compare the weight once the stocker is out over thanksgiving weekend.

the exedy twin disc weighs 40lbs total. 16lbs for the flywheel and 24 ish in the 2 discs, intermediate plate and PP> should be a few pounds lighter than stock setup from my research

OP
OP

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Stock clutch is 47.6lbs according to my bathroom scale. Disk was in good shape on the friction material face but was separating between the rivets on the FW/ PP sides. Had a wave running around the entire circumference. Guess it would open up with high rpm and with normal use close back down. Only 13k miles

Its like a different car. Crazy how crappy the stock clutch felt. The exedy twin is insanely smooth. Only 50 miles in on break in so no wot or high rpm shifts yet. Super light pedal. Running a steeda clutch spring but may pull that out. Engagement is near the top like everyone describes the rxt/rst or other twin discs. Will see how it settles after break in.

Very very easy to drive and take off. No noise in cabin buy you can hear bit of noise on cold start and low/lugging rpms with windows down.

Trans pull on jack stands suck. Worse than an engine pull imho due to the clutch alignment needing to be spot on and engine needing to be pulled down to get engagement angle correct. With anything, the 2nd time should be half the time if I have to do it again.

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
was pretty much sold on a single disc organic setup with lightened steel flywheel and then came across this: Exedy twin

anyone have experience with this exedy ET05SRFD ? lethal has some other nice setups too just a bit shy with the ceramic discs as i dont need the holding power they offer and have had 6pucks/ high clamp singles on past boosted cars. left calf is still larger than the right .

with the flywheel included for this twin setup, you are right there with a single disc/flywheel price wise.

cars FBO NA, street manors and consistency in 7500rpm shifts are important to me. 95% street with a few strip visits from time to time. no HPDE style events.
Would not mind a light clutch pedal, but assuming the twin disc would push engagement higher up the stroke from a taller disc/PP and less slave travel. appears like it would be easier on the hydraulics too as the PP is about half the normal upgraded single discs ratings.

aside from the power holding being higher, is there a downside to using a twin when a single would do? the 3rd gens and voodos came with twin discs factory and they arent very far from the gen2 (gen3 anyways and even voodo once modded.).
I personally haven't used the ET05SRFD but we have sold a bunch of them to our customers and have never gotten any negative feedback on them. It uses organic discs which will be smoother and less aggressive than ceramic.

With that said all of our Lethal MT82 builds ended up with Mcleod twins. Even at stock HP levels and bolt-ons we put Mcleod RXT's in as we knew eventually what we would build the car to be. Now an RXT may be overkill for an NA setup but it definitely worked for us. If you plan on shifting that high and will be hard on the car even if it's not at the drag strip another recommendation would be our new LPX twin kit. It's a twin disc kit with dedicated flywheel that uses Kevlar discs. The kevlar will handle heat and abuse better than organic discs but won't be nearly as aggressive as ceramic. The kevlar offers smooth drivability like organic but is rated for drag use and can handle abuse much better.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions and we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks!

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
I personally haven't used the ET05SRFD but we have sold a bunch of them to our customers and have never gotten any negative feedback on them. It uses organic discs which will be smoother and less aggressive than ceramic.

With that said all of our Lethal MT82 builds ended up with Mcleod twins. Even at stock HP levels and bolt-ons we put Mcleod RXT's in as we knew eventually what we would build the car to be. Now an RXT may be overkill for an NA setup but it definitely worked for us. If you plan on shifting that high and will be hard on the car even if it's not at the drag strip another recommendation would be our new LPX twin kit. It's a twin disc kit with dedicated flywheel that uses Kevlar discs. The kevlar will handle heat and abuse better than organic discs but won't be nearly as aggressive as ceramic. The kevlar offers smooth drivability like organic but is rated for drag use and can handle abuse much better.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions and we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks!
The LPX kits seem to be unsprung? Is there a reason? Is it as good as the internet suggest sprung clutches are?

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The LPX kits seem to be unsprung? Is there a reason? Is it as good as the internet suggest sprung clutches are?
Only the 10-14 GT500 kits are sprung hub on our LPX/LPXHD's. Just like most of the the RST and RXT's from Mcleod. Although we did put together a special sprung hub package for the 11-17 GT with the RXT it's not a big seller as most go with the non sprung kit and are very happy with it's drivability and performance.

I've driven both styles of the RXT (sprung and unsprung) and honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to help you out.

Thanks!

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
Only the 10-14 GT500 kits are sprung hub on our LPX/LPXHD's. Just like most of the the RST and RXT's from Mcleod. Although we did put together a special sprung hub package for the 11-17 GT with the RXT it's not a big seller as most go with the non sprung kit and are very happy with it's drivability and performance.

I've driven both styles of the RXT (sprung and unsprung) and honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to help you out.

Thanks!
Well I just pulled the trigger on the LPXHD with aluminium plate. I know of no other thats made it to the UK as yet? I have a queue pver here waiting to see how it goes !

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I just pulled the trigger on the LPXHD with aluminium plate. I know of no other thats made it to the UK as yet? I have a queue pver here waiting to see how it goes !
Thanks for the business Goosey! We'll get the clutch out that way asap. Send some pints of the good stuff back my way please. lol

Thanks again for all of the support!!!#teamlethal

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
Thanks for the business Goosey! We'll get the clutch out that way asap. Send some pints of the good stuff back my way please. lol

Thanks again for all of the support!!!#teamlethal
Well if it works for me then sure will. We havent been allowed in a pub for two months owing to Covid so when they open in about 1 month there may not be a lot left to ship.........but I will find some for you, some of the real stuff !

OP
OP

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The exedy is unsprung. After more break in miles and several hard passes it's pretty much dead silent on idle and take off. Only difference is if you lug it around 1700 rpm or so. Can hear gear growl.

Was worried about the unsprung but can't tell a difference in smoothness from the stocker. Just a very defined grab point that is easy to get used to. Will never run single disc again. No point. Less pressure on the clutch hydraulics, less pressure on thrust bearings on cold starts ( 5.0 may not be issue but other platforms have a history!) and less pressure on your leg.

Ended up using semi ridged foam block about 1 inch thick under the carpet to reduce the pedal stop to avoid extending the slave farther than needed. Still plenty of travel past the engagement point but entire pedal travel is reduced about 1/3. Feels like a normal clutch with engagement near the middle of the remaining 2/3 travel.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Massih408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT PP
Best review here man. I am stock with bolt on and was thinking the same thing. This confirms it. Thanks.

Stock clutch is 47.6lbs according to my bathroom scale. Disk was in good shape on the friction material face but was separating between the rivets on the FW/ PP sides. Had a wave running around the entire circumference. Guess it would open up with high rpm and with normal use close back down. Only 13k miles

Its like a different car. Crazy how crappy the stock clutch felt. The exedy twin is insanely smooth. Only 50 miles in on break in so no wot or high rpm shifts yet. Super light pedal. Running a steeda clutch spring but may pull that out. Engagement is near the top like everyone describes the rxt/rst or other twin discs. Will see how it settles after break in.

Very very easy to drive and take off. No noise in cabin buy you can hear bit of noise on cold start and low/lugging rpms with windows down.

Trans pull on jack stands suck. Worse than an engine pull imho due to the clutch alignment needing to be spot on and engine needing to be pulled down to get engagement angle correct. With anything, the 2nd time should be half the time if I have to do it again.
Sponsored