Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
I'm sure a lot of you are gearing up for black Friday, as am I. I'll be modifying my 2018 mustang GTPP with mag ride. I'll be doing mostly straight line racing, I might eventually take to NOLA motorsports to see what it does on a road track So far my plans for suspension are;

BMR CB 762
http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1910

I'm going with this over the steeda braces because I like the idea of the front and rear being secured, rather than just the front. It's probably 100% a none issue, just my preference.

BMR CB010
http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1727

I'm going with this because I had the SR cradle lockout on my 2015 GTPP and this being similar minus the braces and it worked great. I know BMR had the original design.

Steeda mag ride sport springs.
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-MagneRide-Sport-Lowering-Springs-2015-2019_p_15908.html

My choice on these is due to the 1" drop on all four corners and no crazy high rates. Since I'm more concerned with straight line. The BMR and Eibach rates are much higher and may hinder drag racing

Steeda cradle alignment kit.
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-irs-subframe-alignment-kit-2015-all-555-4438.html

I also used this on my 2015 GTPP. It may make a negligible difference on the car, but it gives piece of mind and I hate the amounts of slack around the subframe bolts.

I will eventually add spherical vertical links, billet control arms and all that. I'll be riding on the stock PP wheels and 25mm spacers for a while.

Thoughts and impressions?
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Go with the complete Steeda package :) - I have your email & we'll get you squared away!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
I went ahead and ordered jacking rails too.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I'd highly recommend corrected front end geometry with steeda's roll center / bump steer kit. Most lowering springs screw things up more than they help, even minimum drop springs have a lot of negative side effects and the increases in spring rates often don't fully justify the losses due to geometry, at least if you care about geometry.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
I'd highly recommend corrected front end geometry with steeda's roll center / bump steer kit. Most lowering springs screw things up more than they help, even minimum drop springs have a lot of negative side effects and the increases in spring rates often don't fully justify the losses due to geometry, at least if you care about geometry.
I'm just going to do cam bolts and get the alignment right. If I have issues, I'll look into the bump steer kit. Thank you for the input.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I'm just going to do cam bolts and get the alignment right. If I have issues, I'll look into the bump steer kit. Thank you for the input.
I was referring more to roll center. The extended ball joint lateral links are extremely important for proper roll center. It has quite a noticeable impact on handling. Case in point, GM offers a 1LE suspension upgrade package for the Camaro SS that includes their own extended ball stud lateral links to achieve correct geometry with the lowered ride height. Why Ford Performance never made them for the S550 is beyond me, but at least Steeda stepped up to the plate and offered OE quality extended stud variants that happen to be perfect for multiple performance spring options.

But again it all depends on what your ok with. Some people are ok with the trade off's of a sub-par geometry for the sake of looks, but if you want a car that has proper handling and more ideal tire wear, roll center is very important and a must, and bump steer is important just for handling aspects but has little effect on tire wear. Best of luck!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I was referring more to roll center. The extended ball joint lateral links are extremely important for proper roll center. It has quite a noticeable impact on handling. Case in point, GM offers a 1LE suspension upgrade package for the Camaro SS that includes their own extended ball stud lateral links to achieve correct geometry with the lowered ride height. Why Ford Performance never made them for the S550 is beyond me, but at least Steeda stepped up to the plate and offered OE quality extended stud variants that happen to be perfect for multiple performance spring options.

But again it all depends on what your ok with. Some people are ok with the trade off's of a sub-par geometry for the sake of looks, but if you want a car that has proper handling and more ideal tire wear, roll center is very important and a must, and bump steer is important just for handling aspects but has little effect on tire wear. Best of luck!
I tend to agree with you. Why the other aftermarket vendors, including Ford Performance, don't offer that doesn't make sense to me. Furthermore, it kind of angers me that aftermarket companies that sell springs don't inform their consumers of the full ramifications of lowering the ride height. Sure, most of the lowering springs have increased rates to compensate for the added body roll - but still. Consumers aren't getting the full story.

Added body roll is just one negative effect of lowering the ride height. But, most guys do it I think just for looks. I am not in that category. I do it for performance reasons. Looks is a secondary concern.

I just picked up the Steeda lateral & tension links btw.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned

I didn't really notice any major negatives on 2015 GTPP when I lowered it. Just the stiffer steering which I'm sure was attributed to the extra load on the front sway bar. Which I actually preferred. I don't care for the light steering these cars have. It's not much of daily driver. I only average 3-4k miles a year. I did look at the bump steer kit after you mentioned it and a did a little research. It'll probably be something I'll look at in the future.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It is not something most people notice. But almost all cars have negative effects from lowering, because the stock suspension is optimized for stock ride height, duh. Often even the half inch that a sport model may be lower than standard results in a slightly worse camber curve.

But there are positive impacts too. As long as you don't go crazy with the lowering and buy it from someone who understands performance I wouldn't worry about it. If you are racing it might be worthwhile, but often not legal. But mixing and matching parts can make it worse, so sticking with a single vender has advantages.

Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I'm not going to offer any advice because my car is still basically stock. However, I really appreciate the title of this thread. Too many people fail to realize that suspension mods have to be taken as a sum of the parts. When multiple mods are applied, they can have unintended results. It's always the combination that affects the car; not any one mod. I think you understand the proper philosophy for modding your car. Good luck.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I'm not going to offer any advice because my car is still basically stock. However, I really appreciate the title of this thread. Too many people fail to realize that suspension mods have to be taken as a sum of the parts. When multiple mods are applied, they can have unintended results. It's always the combination that affects the car; not any one mod. I think you understand the proper philosophy for modding your car. Good luck.
I learned a lot from my 5th 1le and 2015 GTPP. I knew I didn't want exactly what the 5th gen had as it was a bit harsh for a daily. But the stock GTPP was very mushy. The mods I did to it always improved it. The mag ride on my 18 fixes a lot of the mushy issues I had with my 15 but there's definitely room for improvement. Especially with regards to wheel hop and the rear cradle slop.
Sponsored