OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Here is the left side 1/48 RTA vs spectrum (all no eq). Its the best depiction of the difference in slope between RTA and spectrum mode. Its much flatter now. The left side has more a drop off than the right side but then the tweeters are a long way off axis so that is expected. I think I am ready to start tuning now. I hope my ramblings haven't put anyone off from doing their own tuning.

spec 148rta.jpg
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You don't have to. Just put in the bigger screens as attachments to your post. ;)

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
With REW you have to zoom in to get 5db. You can't just change the scale
spec 148rta zoom.jpg
as far as I know

Last edited:

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thats true, but when you click on the button that says "20....20k" in the lower right corner you can still fit in the whole frequency range into that new scaling. ;)

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Strange... mine looks like the following...
raw measurements.JPG

20-20kHz, 5db increments on the SPL scale... But i'm not using the builtin functionality, but a screencapture program. ;)

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ok you have to change the axis limits to around 50db or less to get the 5db scale.

OP
OP

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I probably spent 6-8 hours since my last post which included starting over a few times The tuning is going well but I am not done yet. I have my first full tune in and the stereo sounds great playing Hotel California, Jane and Space Cowboy. Voices, bass, guitar all sound much improved. I think many would be happy leaving it as is although when I look at the RTA response curves there are a couple things on the mids I hope to improve on and a hump at 3-4k that definitely needs fixing (right tweeter). The leveling of the tweeters seems to be the biggest challenge for some reason. The REW auto tune works great and certainly reduces the time setting eq. Here is the basic procedure I have been following. I'm certainly not sure that that I needed to eq each speaker individually or that it is the best way to go about tuning but I did. The whole process is very iterative.
  • record each side (L/R) and level each by adjusting DSP gains by channel/speaker (1/48 RTA mode)
  • record each speaker and use 1/3 or 1/6th smoothing (dependent on how many eq channels you have; I used 1/12th on the sub)
  • eq each speaker - set target level on low side/match response to target. This causes you to cut mostly but seems to cause levels to have to be rebalanced especially on the tweeters
  • record speakers individually and check levels, check against target
  • record left and right side and check against target
  • eq anomolies
  • record and check left and right side
  • record all speakers
Sponsored