my impressions of 2018 GT after 1 week ownership

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
so, are you having second thoughts about your purchase? it seems like a downgrade to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
so, are you having second thoughts about your purchase? it seems like a downgrade to me.
no second thoughts, i was having buyers remorse with the Challenger 2 months after i bought it. still wish i'd kept my gotta have it green 2013 GT

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
just standard mode driving. i did try out the shifter s mode and it does feel more aggressive
The A10 transmission changes gearing differently, based on what MODE you are driving in. If you are in sport, then you will have instant, crisp shifts, etc.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
just standard mode driving. i did try out the shifter s mode and it does feel more aggressive
So, shifter is in D but what mode? Normal, sport, or track? That's different than where the shifter is.

Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Bald Menace, I agree with the rest about having your brakes checked out. My '18 PP needs very little pedal pressure or pedal travel to try to send me thru the windshield.

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
So, shifter is in D but what mode? Normal, sport, or track? That's different than where the shifter is.
Normal Mode, i have not played with sport or drag mode yet. so what does the S do when you shift from D to S? (NM, i just looked it up in owners manual)

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Normal Mode, i have not played with sport or drag mode yet. so what does the S do when you shift from D to S? (NM, i just looked it up in owners manual)
Selectshift (manual shifting for the 10). Try in sport, I bet that will solve 90% of the issues you noted.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I predict this will be the first ‘18 for sale in the Claasifieds. Sounds like you miss and value the low end of the 6.4 and the 8spd. Unless you bit a blower on a Stang, you’ll never get that low end grunt.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
S puts it into sport mode with sport tuned tranny and throttle map and sportier traction control. In “S” if you paddle once it keeps it fully manual. Alternatively, Sport+ via the toggle switches do similar things but more aggressive throttle map and not put it into manual even if you paddle.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I predict this will be the first ‘18 for sale in the Claasifieds. Sounds like you miss and value the low end of the 6.4 and the 8spd. Unless you bit a blower on a Stang, you’ll never get that low end grunt.
I can’t speak to the low end, but the transmission issue will be solved when he puts it in sport + I bet.
He also seemed to mention a few other positive things as well...

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
so a week ago today i traded in my 2016 Scat Pack challenger loaded with A8 for a 2018 Mustang GT with A10 301A and PP. I owned the Challenger for 2 1/2 years and put 3500 miles on it in that time.

Exterior and interior
The paint quality and fit and finish is far better than my Challenger and the car looks great from all angles. the interior is nicely laid out and doesn't seem as flamboyant as the Challenger interior. mycolor and ambient lighting is awesome. LED headlights are great. cloth seats are very supportive and comfortable. no complaints about interior at all.

driving impressions
The new 5.0 even with 460 hp is definitely much weaker in the low rpm range than the Challenger and the A10 doesn't seem to help alleviate this much but then again it's a high rpm engine. the A10 seems to hunt a lot and is very jerky at low speeds. the transmission is slow to engage when shifted from park to drive compared to the 11-14 GT A6 and the A8 i had in the Challenger. downshifting when getting on the gas is still fairly slow just like the 6 speed autos in the 11-14 cars. The brakes are not nearly as nice as i was expecting from the PP Brembo option. the pedal is relatively hard and it takes considerable effort for power brakes. not impressed. handling is stellar and exhaust note is great. one thing i have noticed that i don't care for at all is when i get on the throttle and accelerate quickly and then let off the gas the car still seems to accelerate for a brief second almost as if there's a massive flyweight that needs to spool down before deceleration occurs. probably related to dbw.

all in all i'm happy with the car and hopefully I quickly adapt to the 10 speed and the other small issues.
Having driven both I got to say I disagree with you on most everything except lackluster downshifts when not in sport mode. Maybe you're justifying the up and coming sale of your car? :lol:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yeah, just put it in S and drive.

Give it a few days to learn you, and you should see much better response and feel from your Mustang. After you learn it more, you can customize even further if you have magneride.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I think Bald Menace, you will never have that low end torque unless you put a blower on it. I am struggling with my really nice '15 with a tune and 355 gears. After having the torque of a blower on 2 cars, it is difficult not to have that torque in low RPMs especially at cruising speeds where just a small tap on the gas nearly launches the car without having to use rpms as much. That's another thread where I wanted input from folks about '18 or blower.

It was my understanding that the A10 could put you in the HP/Tq rpms almost instantly, but having (from what I'm hearing) the A10 not downshift instantly would be a bit difficult after having that instant torque of the Hemi or a blower.

But, FYI anyone on this forum, I'm not buying a Mopar or Chevy any time soon.
Sponsored