Sponsored

my impressions of 2018 GT after 1 week ownership

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I also made the switch from an automatic Scat Pack Challenger to get the 2018. Background on a crazy car saga:

2015-2016-No car, fam used wife's SUV
Jan 2017-buy new 17 mustang GT base auto, low options, put 10,000 miles on it
July 2017-trade mustang in on deeply discounted Scat pack charger, low options
Sept-hurricane Irma totals the new charger
Oct 2017-buy Scat Pack Challenger auto, no options, put 5,300 miles on it in 90 days
New Years Eve 2017-trade Scat on a 18 Mustang base GT Auto , low options, 900 miles on it.

My take on all of this:
The 2017 GT was an extremely capable performance car all the way around. I put on wide wheels, 295/305 MPSS (huge improvement to an already great car)and did the resonator delete and H pipe (not sold on value of this mod for that car). Driving it in 'D' then swapping to 'S' and looking for trouble felt like you got an extra hundred horsepower. The new car does not give such a drastic difference in the two modes since the 10 speed already keeps it on the boil for you in D mode.

The Charger Scat Pack was a great 4 door muscle car with a fantastic stock exhaust sound. Intransforming a big sedan to be sporty, the factory suspension ended up being a little jarring.

The challenger was cool. EVERYBODY thought it was cool. I liked the car but have never subscribed to the Challenger extra magical cool factor. A lot of non hardcore car guys thought it was a hellcat, especially after very wide wheels and tires went on. It sounded great and after mid muffler delete it sounded great but twice as loud, which was perfect.

The scats are exactly what they were intended to be: big brawny, ballsy Blvd cruisers. In doing that mission very well, they don't get to be what the late model mustangs are-chuckable, lithe, highly responsive, corner carving all around performers.

I had a few minor gripes on the Challenger: terrible mpgs (like $350/ month in gas terrible), the doors would always try to swing closed back at my leg when trying to get out, very little interior storage space. And lastly, it was bright red-just not my thing but that's my wife's fault for picking that over black.

The 2018 GT
The new look struck me ugly at first but running 11's at 119 pulled me in. The leap from 112 traps to darn near 120 is just next level shit.

I sum the new GT as "easy". Mash the throttle and it sounds waaaaay better, throws you down the street in a drama free, smooth as butter way on a very compliant and comfortable set up. It does a bit more in every sense but comes off as not breaking a sweat in the process.

Better ride
Powertrain now a mix of combustion and Harry Potter type shit
Base GT audio now fine (vs "let's remind them they went cheap by making this distinctly sound like ass" in the 17 base GT)
The 10 speed auto does hunt around for gears a little bit
When you go cheap, it still comes with comically skinny tires but from the driver's seat they now they seem to let the car deliver amazing performance through them so they only let you down visually. Is credit due to a very well developed set of electronic nannies that lets you get the most out of a small contact patch? Not sure.
Base GT brakes-okay but not as distinctly impressive as I recall the 17s being (after the big tire swap, it was like throwing a huge anchor out of the window on the 17)
Sound-so good that I don't know about spending money to risk screwing it up, but do want it 30% louder
A gripe with the 17 is still there-The seatbelt position is uncomfortable and I have to use my hand to keep it off of me when it starts to bug me.

Bottom line, I would never have thought a refresh could transform a car like this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
Please update us again in a 1000 miles or sooner. Thanks !!

in 2.5 years he put 3.5k milies on his challenger... so he doesn't drive his car. based on that you better buy the mustang before he reaches 1k miles. Unless he decides to enjoy the car.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
This is the first time I've heard someone say that the PP brakes require significant effort. I only used my big toe to avoid whiplash on my test drive.
I wonder how cold it has been where he lives (Oregon?)...perhaps that adds to his issues.

My Brembo equipped RS gives you whiplash as well if not careful.

As far as the sluggish low end...how much would the 3.55 gear option help with this?

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I wonder how cold it has been where he lives (Oregon?)...perhaps that adds to his issues.

My Brembo equipped RS gives you whiplash as well if not careful.

As far as the sluggish low end...how much would the 3.55 gear option help with this?
All '18 GT PP A10 cars come with 3.55 gears from the factory.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I totally understand the difference in how it feels to roll out from a stop in the new Mustang versus the challenger scat Pack. With that car you had to train your foot to be a little easy on roll out or you would get a rush of torque that wasn't manageable or helpful, especially with the skinny factory tires.

It just takes a little time and some mileage to get recalibrated for the different gearing and power curve of a different car. Keeping the transmission in Sport would bridge that gap a little bit?

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Sept-hurricane Irma totals the new charger
What happened to it, I was in Palm Coast which is 75 miles south of Jacksonville, Irma was bad but I survived with really no damage to anything.

TC

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What happened to it, I was in Palm Coast which is 75 miles south of Jacksonville, Irma was bad but I survived with really no damage to anything.

TC
The river in our neighborhood broke over the banks and there was 2 feet of water in every house, car and business within four blocks.

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I predict this will be the first ‘18 for sale in the Claasifieds. Sounds like you miss and value the low end of the 6.4 and the 8spd. Unless you bit a blower on a Stang, you’ll never get that low end grunt.
Not a chance, I like the Mustang just fine, it's just taking some adapting and getting used to compared to my previous car. A blower is in the plans once the car has proven it doesn't have any issues that need to be taken care of under warranty.

OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
in 2.5 years he put 3.5k milies on his challenger... so he doesn't drive his car. based on that you better buy the mustang before he reaches 1k miles. Unless he decides to enjoy the car.
I drive a Company vehicle to and from work, my wife has a nice car and i have a classic Muscle car in the garage as well as a pickup truck. it's tough for me to put miles on any car i own. I am Enjoying the Mustang, just need to drive it more and get accustomed to the car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bald Menace

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
The challenger was cool. EVERYBODY thought it was cool. I liked the car but have never subscribed to the Challenger extra magical cool factor. A lot of non hardcore car guys thought it was a hellcat, especially after very wide wheels and tires went on. It sounded great and after mid muffler delete it sounded great but twice as loud, which was perfect.

The scats are exactly what they were intended to be: big brawny, ballsy Blvd cruisers. In doing that mission very well, they don't get to be what the late model mustangs are-chuckable, lithe, highly responsive, corner carving all around performers.

The 2018 GT
The new look struck me ugly at first but running 11's at 119 pulled me in. The leap from 112 traps to darn near 120 is just next level shit.

Bottom line, I would never have thought a refresh could transform a car like this.
Bingo!! my thoughts exactly

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
I didn’t have an 18 GT so I’m not sure if it’s a downgrade or not, but it’s definitely a downgrade if it’s a 15-17 GT
Sponsored