JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh...you '19+ guys with the updated radiator support are lucky, gosh!
oh come on it's only $1400 for the new radiator support.
dam that is a lot for plastic
Sponsored

JamesR350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 GT, 1998 GT
OK, so I had the QuikLatch 50 latches installed on my 2019 GT350R Today. A better than perfect install by Justin at Cantrell Motorsports. Just to recap .......I purchased the QL 50 kit from QuikLatch. the kit comes with the lower adjustable pins and the top hood latch mechanism. I also purchased (at great expense) the bottom latch pice which has a round mounting plate and a fixed length latch rod that is not made by QuikLatch but according to the QuikLatch folks is made bt Ford Racing. It is a unique mount plate that enables the fixed length rod to have about a 15 degree moment in its seated base. This enables the rod to seat in the upper latch even if it its not exactly lined up. Honestly I was hoping the shop would just use the Ford part as a template so I could return them as the two base plates were over $800.00 .
There are several locations that one can mount the QL-50 latch, but in my option the factory location on the carbon fiber radiator mount that is common to the 2019+ GT350 and the 2020 GT500 is by far preferable. As it turns out the GT500 latch base (with only minor shimming on the drivers side, fits perfectly hight wise and on the GT350. The corresponding location on the hood is also ideal as there are two layers of aluminum that are very closely aligned and flat (unlike other location under the hood where the two layers can be have as much as an inch separation, and have contours to deal with). Notes from the installer:

Went over hood pin hardware and mounting options for best function and clean fit.

Used the factory GT500 pins on the core support. Went to hardware store and found flanged threaded inserts commonly used for a furniture application biut in stainless steel. Was able to trim them down to the proper height to match the thickness of the core support. They have small teeth that bite into the carbon material. Was able to insert them one at a time through the center hole then align and set them into place without having to cut any additional access holes in the core support.

Marked underside of hood where pins will meet. After making a pilot hole I used a 2 1/4" hole saw to cut a relief in the bend on the underside of hood to allow the retaining collar to sit flush. Cut the top layer of hood with a 1 3/8" hole saw and cleaned up with edges with a sanding drum for a tight fit. Installed quick release button latches and checked operation and alignment.

The attached pictures show the bottom pin placement, top latch from under the hood, and placement with the hood closed. Also worth noting the seems on the hood are perfect and hood itself is now very solid. When you close the hood all three(factory center latch and two new QL-50 latches engage simultaneously . All in all it is a better than OEM fitment and set up. Also note in the pictures the black factory decal on the bottom side of the hood adjacent to the latch. I read in a couple of postings that people hypothesized that those decals were potential drilling locations for the latches. They clearly are not!!
Unknown-5-1.jpeg
Unknown-6-1.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
What is the part number for the GT500 bases?

ddivinia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350R
Man, that is cool. I think I need them on my 2020 GT350R. Not sure I have the guts to take a hole saw to my hood.
D.

Sponsored

305gt350r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
OK, so I had the QuikLatch 50 latches installed on my 2019 GT350R Today. A better than perfect install by Justin at Cantrell Motorsports. Just to recap .......I purchased the QL 50 kit from QuikLatch. the kit comes with the lower adjustable pins and the top hood latch mechanism. I also purchased (at great expense) the bottom latch pice which has a round mounting plate and a fixed length latch rod that is not made by QuikLatch but according to the QuikLatch folks is made bt Ford Racing. It is a unique mount plate that enables the fixed length rod to have about a 15 degree moment in its seated base. This enables the rod to seat in the upper latch even if it its not exactly lined up. Honestly I was hoping the shop would just use the Ford part as a template so I could return them as the two base plates were over $800.00 .
There are several locations that one can mount the QL-50 latch, but in my option the factory location on the carbon fiber radiator mount that is common to the 2019+ GT350 and the 2020 GT500 is by far preferable. As it turns out the GT500 latch base (with only minor shimming on the drivers side, fits perfectly hight wise and on the GT350. The corresponding location on the hood is also ideal as there are two layers of aluminum that are very closely aligned and flat (unlike other location under the hood where the two layers can be have as much as an inch separation, and have contours to deal with). Notes from the installer:

Went over hood pin hardware and mounting options for best function and clean fit.

Used the factory GT500 pins on the core support. Went to hardware store and found flanged threaded inserts commonly used for a furniture application biut in stainless steel. Was able to trim them down to the proper height to match the thickness of the core support. They have small teeth that bite into the carbon material. Was able to insert them one at a time through the center hole then align and set them into place without having to cut any additional access holes in the core support.

Marked underside of hood where pins will meet. After making a pilot hole I used a 2 1/4" hole saw to cut a relief in the bend on the underside of hood to allow the retaining collar to sit flush. Cut the top layer of hood with a 1 3/8" hole saw and cleaned up with edges with a sanding drum for a tight fit. Installed quick release button latches and checked operation and alignment.

The attached pictures show the bottom pin placement, top latch from under the hood, and placement with the hood closed. Also worth noting the seems on the hood are perfect and hood itself is now very solid. When you close the hood all three(factory center latch and two new QL-50 latches engage simultaneously . All in all it is a better than OEM fitment and set up. Also note in the pictures the black factory decal on the bottom side of the hood adjacent to the latch. I read in a couple of postings that people hypothesized that those decals were potential drilling locations for the latches. They clearly are not!!
Unknown-5-1.jpeg
Unknown-6-1.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
thanks for sharing all these details. I want to do the same on my 2019 GT350R. Where did you purchase that overpriced bottom round plate that fits in our radiator support brace? They sound quite pricey but think itā€˜s the best way to go. Or do you have any other suggestions?