Sponsored

My car sure does "ping" a lot

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
18' GT. Bone stock. 25K. Always fed 93 octane. If I'm cruising along on a flat road at say, 3000 rpm and give it very light throttle, I can hear it faintly ping just for a fraction of a second. Randomly at other times and under more load, I can hear it as well, but always for a fraction of a second. The timing gets pulled right away. Ambient temperature doesn't seem to matter. That seem unusual to anyone?

I have the 2K rattle and "tick" (on oil change), but I know what those sound like. This is definitely pinging (albeit very brief and faint)
Sponsored

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My bone stock 20 with 8k does the same thing. I've tried a few different gas stations and have had success with Exxon. Any other stations and it will ping when I roll lightly on the throttle or under a heavy load. It only happens briefly just like yours. I don't have the "tick" so it's definitely a ping.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I’ve had to switch to shell on my 18 due to pinging as well. On my 21 didn’t really seem to matter much as long as it was 93.

OP
OP
Weyland-Yutani

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Could be the gas. Have you tried using gas from different stations?

Also have you checked the plugs?
That's a good point. I buy gas a 2 different stations, but they are both QuikTrips. I have not looked at plugs.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
That's a good point. I buy gas a 2 different stations, but they are both QuikTrips. I have not looked at plugs.
I'd start with better gas. I put qt gas in my jeep and truck but I won't put it in my mustang.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'd start with better gas. I put qt gas in my jeep and truck but I won't put it in my mustang.
Actually Quicktrip is rated as Top Tier so we are not talking about cheap gas here. That said a switch to another top their brand may elevate the pinging issue.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Ford says this is perfectly normal. It's in the manual somewhere.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ford says this is perfectly normal. It's in the manual somewhere.
Well not exactly normal.

"Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage".

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Actually Quicktrip is rated as Top Tier so we are not talking about cheap gas here. That said a switch to another top their brand may elevate the pinging issue.
I never said it was cheap gas but I still wouldn't put it in my mustang. Arco's have terrible gas out here and still managed to get a top tier rating so take it for what it's worth.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well not exactly normal.

"Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage".

I think the key word there is heavily. On light throttle input a light quick ping is what they considered normal.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said it was cheap gas but I still wouldn't put it in my mustang. Arco's have terrible gas out here and still managed to get a top tier rating so take it for what it's worth.

Actually ARCO is BP Petroleum and they are a very good gas. If you buy fuel in California they are all the same blend other than the mix of detergents that are put in the fuel.

A few years back they got sued for not having the actual claimed octane at a couple of their stations, and this was quickly rectified.

I run mainly Chevron fuel and I still get an occasional light ping on initial throttle input every once in a while and I run 94 octane in my car with a mix of 91, 2 gallons of E85 and 2 gallons of VP101. In California we are lucky our E85 is true E85 pushing 105 octane.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I can only get 91 here in Vegas, never heard a ping, car now has 15k on it. Most of gas is from SAMs Club, others when I take the car on road trips.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My 2020 GT with 4,200 miles has a slight rattle also when around 2,500 rpm in any gear, roll into the throttle and it rattles for just a half second then goes away. I guess it could be described as a ping, but I really don't think it is detonation, always sounds like it is coming from underneath the car, can really hear it when the windows are down. If the windows are up and radio at a louder volume, don't even notice it. I just always figured it was some kind of exhaust rattle. Have heard it since day one of ownership, have ran 87 and 91 from different gas stations and brands, it has always done it no matter what. I installed the Ford Performance calibration and it still does it, and have ran nothing but 91 and either Costco or Chevron fuel, no difference, still sounds the same as the first day I brought it home.

Just found this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/technical-question-about-valve-noise-2019-s550-pp2.138262/

Pretty good descriptions of what I hear. After 4,200 miles, 1.5 years of ownership, and different fuels, I feel this noise is completely normal.

Doug
Sponsored