MX-5 - Second Car?

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
With used car prices starting to drop I am now looking into buying a second car.

Used Mx-5's seem to be becoming more reasonably priced. Back in 2017 when I was looking for a new car I ALMOST bought the MX5. But money was a little too tight for my liking at the time.

I know its not practical. And honestly, I know I would look ridiculous in it (I am 6'4") but it was the most fun car I have ever driven. So I need you guys to sway me one way or another.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
As a daily?

well might as well do a coyote swap on it šŸ™ƒ

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
With used car prices starting to drop I am now looking into buying a second car.

Used Mx-5's seem to be becoming more reasonably priced. Back in 2017 when I was looking for a new car I ALMOST bought the MX5. But money was a little too tight for my liking at the time.

I know its not practical. And honestly, I know I would look ridiculous in it (I am 6'4") but it was the most fun car I have ever driven. So I need you guys to sway me one way or another.
Well, you're talking about buying a second car; it's rare to have to worry about your second car being practical. Especially since one could argue whether it's even practical to own a second car at all. So, I think the real question is what do you want out of a second car? Why are you looking into a second car in the first place? At 6'4", would you comfortably fit in it with the top up? If not, would the top of the windshield obstruct your view at all? If you spent the money on a second car, what would be your opportunity cost? I can think of more questions, but these seem like some good ones to get you thinking at least.

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
There is no way you fit into that car at 6'4". I'm 6'1" and had to slouch in the seat with it all the way back and my head still rubbed. I'm assuming you test drove it if you were that close to buying it, so maybe you're more leg than torso. If you fit in it and you want it, get it. How many other manual RWD sub 3000lb cars are out there? Absence of choice presents clarity.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
There is no way you fit into that car at 6'4". I'm 6'1" and had to slouch in the seat with it all the way back and my head still rubbed. I'm assuming you test drove it if you were that close to buying it, so maybe you're more leg than torso. If you fit in it and you want it, get it. How many other manual RWD sub 3000lb cars are out there? Absence of choice presents clarity.

Define fit :cwl: Does my head poke the roof when its on? yes. When the roof is off was the top of the windshield (structure) blocking some of my vision? Also yes.

I have a real soft spot for Mazda.

On a side note. If some some reason prices fall a bit and I have an eruption green GT - I may just trade up to that.. but I am not holding my breath on finding one near by.

Sponsored

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
My father has a 2005 Mazdaspeed edition that I used to drive quite often growing up. It's what got me into cars, but has also made me dislike convertibles. Only drove it on nice days. Now.. I'd rather be in my mustang on a nice day.

The Mazda is a super fun, trackable go-kart that gets great gas mileage. Driving with the top up is sketchy when you're tall. Horrible blind spots. You'll definitely have to hunch to see the traffic light turn green which gets real annoying in the city.

Edit: Don't get butthurt when strangers refer to the car as cute and/or adorable.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If you are looking for something to have some fun with on a nice day, I suggest looking at the Can Am GT 3 wheeler. They aren't for everyone as they take a different mindset, but who knows?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I LOVE Miatas.

As a previous owner of one, I would say absolutely go for it, if you can live with the size, vision and comfort. It was the most fun car Iā€™ve ever owned. And Iā€™ve had a LOT of different carsā€¦

To counter @Balr14, how about a slingshot? These look fun!!

https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-ca/

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm 6'4" as well, and I don't fit in a Miata. What I mean by that is with the seat all the way back, my left knee is against the dash and I have trouble reaching the clutch with my foot. Oh, and there is a distinct lack of headroom as well, especially if I have a helmet on or the car has a cage in it for track use.

So I'm jealous. I might own one if I fit.

I settled for a GR86. It's a little faster and has a LOT more room inside. I realize it weighs more than a Miata, so it's a little less of a go cart. I find it practical as a daily. It does have some trouble if the snow is deeper than about 6 inches as there isn't a ton of ground clearance.

I do prefer a hard top over a convertible for daily driving. I don't think you will have an issue driving a Miata, though. The only thing that might bother some people are the "cup holders". If you are aware of that peculiarity of the Miata, that's probably the only real non-obvious potential gotcha I can think of.

I say if you want one and can afford it, sure, go for it. But if you were looking for an unbiased opinion about whether buying another car is a good idea, I might not be the best person to ask. Good luck!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I LOVE Miatas.

As a previous owner of one, I would say absolutely go for it, if you can live with the size, vision and comfort. It was the most fun car Iā€™ve ever owned. And Iā€™ve had a LOT of different carsā€¦

To counter @Balr14, how about a slingshot? These look fun!!

https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-ca/
Slingshots are insane! But, they can get really expensive and there aren't any used bargains. I mentioned the CanAm GT because low mileage used models can be found for under $10k. I bought one when I was no longer able to ride a motorcycle due to vertigo problems and loved it. But, unfortunately my problems have gotten a lot worse.... must have 4 wheels and be pretty close to the ground now.

I have no objections to Miatas, but they are not designed for larger individuals.
Sponsored

Last edited: