Mustang Winter Storage

TorresDoe8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I'm debating if I should add fuel stabilizer to the tank even though I technically have not stored the car away yet for the winter. So far this winter I've been turning the car on for about 20 mins once a week (not driving the car). I don't know if I should just keep doing that for the rest of winter or if I should just store it and add fuel stabilizer. Or should I still add the fuel stabilizer anyway although I am turning the car one once a week being that the full tank will likely last till next spring in 2-3 months? What would you guys recommend?
Sponsored

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
What type of fuel is in the tank? E0, E10, E85, etc?

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Bought a 2016 in Sept of 2015 in crappy upstate NY. First 2 years I put in stabilizer before packing it away (4 to 5 months of storage) 3rd year got caught in an icy fall so It went away without prep. Been doing that (no stabilizer) since then and its always started in the spring on first crank. I always use Sunoco 93 and very rarely turn it over during winter.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If youā€™re not storing for more than 8-12 months, donā€™t add anything.

Sponsored

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I added stabilizer circa Nov 1 on the premise I won't turn the engine over until about the end of March and won't be using any of the fuel.

Stabilizer does reduce oxidization, and condensation especially in ethanol mixed gasoline but I actually don't think that is necessary with a high quality fuel and full (near full) tank for anything less than 6-8 months.

You are not doing anything of value starting the engine every few weeks and running it to temperature. That does nothing for the fuel and the engine does not need it.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If you aren't going to drive it, don't bother starting it. You do more harm than good. With direct injection and current emission standards, the initial gasoline flow is more likely to wash the cylinders unless you actually drive it. I put my car on a battery tender and take it out for a drive if the temperature is above freezing and the streets are clear and dry. That has worked fine for as long as I can remember.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
In November, I put my car in storage and added fuel stabilizer to a full tank of fuel. Car will not be started again until March. Fuel is the highest octane in my immediate area (91), Shell, from the same station I buy all my gas from.

In my example, fuel stabilizer is a step towards goodness. While I'd probably be fine without, it's cheap insurance against factors like a potential poor fuel load, surprise extended storage, etc. Costs a few bucks and can't hurt.

Last edited:

Wookie107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Put away in the garage in November: washed, changed oil, filled up with recreational Gas, hooked up the battery minder, and put the cover on. Iā€™ll probably pull it out in April.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
A note of fuel stabilizer: It should be added before you fill the tank so the new fuel mixes the stabilizer. Then drive it a few miles to get the mixed fuel throughout the system. Just pouring it into a tank in the garage isn't going to buy you much protection.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I fill the tank, use fuel stabilizer and put it on a trickle charger. I avoid a car cover, because I'm concerned mice are more likely to get into the car if it's covered. I also use fresh cab repellent to try to help keep them out. Now with the new vegetable based wiring insulation, I even put a packet of fresh cab under the hood prior to storage.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I'm debating if I should add fuel stabilizer to the tank even though I technically have not stored the car away yet for the winter. So far this winter I've been turning the car on for about 20 mins once a week (not driving the car). I don't know if I should just keep doing that for the rest of winter or if I should just store it and add fuel stabilizer. Or should I still add the fuel stabilizer anyway although I am turning the car one once a week being that the full tank will likely last till next spring in 2-3 months? What would you guys recommend?
Biggest thing to worry about is the Ethanol. It tends to settle into a goo at the bottom of the tank, especially if there is moisture in the tank. Most stabalizers have an anti phase enzyme that prevents this. It wouldnt hurt to throw a little stabalizer in it just in case. Change the oil while you are at it if its going to sit. Rodent proof it. Fill the tires to 40 psi.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Biggest thing to worry about is the Ethanol. It tends to settle into a goo at the bottom of the tank, especially if there is moisture in the tank. Most stabalizers have an anti phase enzyme that prevents this. It wouldnt hurt to throw a little stabalizer in it just in case. Change the oil while you are at it if its going to sit. Rodent proof it. Fill the tires to 40 psi.
Iā€™ve seen gel form around the fuel socks in Ethanol (60+%) filled fuel tanks after 5-6 months of storage. I wouldnā€™t use stabilizers in any fuels unless used for LONG term storage. 8 months+ at least. Todays fuel systems are far more airtight than those of 25+ years ago. Nothing needs stabilizer for less than 6 months, thatā€™s for sure.
Sponsored