Mustang v. Plaid

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
They could make a car now that could self drive, but they couldn't make one affordable. They land autonomous airplanes on aircraft carriers. I know that is different, but the tech today would make it possible but not at a cost that people are willing to pay or that would turn a profit. That all being said, the biggest hurdle probably is all the other unpredictable human drivers. You could make a system that would react fast enough, but again costs. That all being said, I am not concerned about loosing ice or diving in my lifetime.
Exactly this. Look at drones, look at aircraft, rockets, etc. They are all autonomous. The technology exists but is expensive. It would start with certain roadways, maybe highways, then expand. This is not overnight but a 20 year horizon. Planes talk to each other with transponders. This could be implemented in cars along with better more accurate GPS like systems etc.

Cars would cost maybe 400-500k that could do that, but that's the exact business model we will see. Even at a million you could still be profitable. Car manufactures will produce far less cars at much higher price points which they have to as we have already reached the point of affordability with 9 year loans. Other companies will operate the self-driving vehicles on demand service 24/7 maximizing the profit/cost for the higher priced vehicles. No more oil changes, battery updates, etc. as it would all be managed for you. It's just the personalized on-demand transport you would pay for. The world will have less cars on the road, driveways and parking lots will be converted to other uses etc. Personally driving your own vehicle will be outlawed as that is where the danger will lie - you want all self-driving so they can integrated and predict each other.

Looking into some of the recent tech news you can see the pattern and end-game:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...-detection-by-connected-cars/?sh=5098dea25a3d

https://www.deviceplus.com/trending/the-alternative-to-gps-is-about-to-make-self-driving-cars-safer/

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-innovation/vehicle-vehicle-communication

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/e...ters-and-emergency-braking-systems-mandatory/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/ubers-self-driving-cars-are-a-key-to-its-path-to-profitability.html
Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Had a chance to line up with one at VMP last weekend, happened to be my very worst pass of the day as I couldn't get line-lock to engage so launch was awful. But even my best pass of the day at 10.44 had nothing for the Plaid as it ran a 9.40. Funny nobody seemed interested in the Plaid at all at the track.

Sponsored

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a Plaid but this is Model 3 Dual Motor on Seres:

This is me in my "modified" Mustang GT

So much for the Tesla been fast.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Drove a Taycan GTS this weekend.... Gobsmacked......

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
EV is a scam. Too much pollution, can't charge it, and Tesla can't make a profit even with Tax Payer money.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My dad's Accord has a feature that reads the speed limit off signs it passes and shows the speed limit on the dash. Sometimes it works, but it will also show a 70 mph speed limit in a residential area some of the time. Of course any human being with a tiny shred of common sense would not have this problem. Is it possible for a system like that to work flawlessly? Yes it is. It's a simple thing and there are a lot fewer variables than a self-driving machine would encounter on the roads (things like snow or rain that obscure visibility, or crazy drivers for example). However, the people who built the system didn't spend the time to perfect it.

I don't think self-driving is possible yet, because I don't think the hardware or software is up to the task yet. Will we get there? I think it's possible, but it may be that cars so equipped will cost more than most people can afford.

One thing I do know is if self-driving cars become available, I'm definitely not buying a Honda version.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Self driving cars will be viable when every car can communicate with every other car. Probably happen in the next 10 years.

I think car ownership will become a subscription service. You pay a monthly or yearly fee and when you need a car you open an app and the car shows up.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Self driving cars will be viable when every car can communicate with every other car. Probably happen in the next 10 years.

I think car ownership will become a subscription service. You pay a monthly or yearly fee and when you need a car you open an app and the car shows up.
Wishful thinking. We'll be commuting via public transportation since we're all EV and cannot charge them daily.

This sucks in large square mile cities like Phoenix because YOU HAVE to drive.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

The average age of cars on the road is 12 years. If the feature you are describing was invented today and all carmakers instantly agreed on commonality so they could all talk to each other, it would still take 10+ years before most cars could communicate.

And the time would NEVER come when EVERY car can communicate. It would have to be illegal to drive an old car before that could happen.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wishful thinking. We'll be commuting via public transportation since we're all EV and cannot charge them daily.

This sucks in large square mile cities like Phoenix because YOU HAVE to drive.
I think this is the general direction we are heading. Fewer people will be able to afford to drive.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
t would still take 10+ years before most cars could communicate.
I figure it will be 10 years before this tech is added to every new car.
And the time would NEVER come when EVERY car can communicate. It would have to be illegal to drive an old car before that could happen.
I also see this happening because the only way to really have self driving cars is for every car on the road to be self driving.
Sponsored