Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
My only addition to this thread is... embrace change.

People think I am crazy, but I enjoy all the cars in my fleet.
Cause each has a reason to exist.

Diesel = Mercedes Diesel (40+ mpgs, gets 700 miles on a tank, I drive it when I go 50-100 miles in a day)
EV = Chevrolet Volt (think I am sitting at 150 mpg average right now, it gets driven about 40 miles a day... 38 of that is usually all electric)
ICE = My Caddy, Mustangs, Camaro, Jeep, Truck, Slignshot, Motorcycles, Waverunners. (these are toys and are treated as such)

But for day to day driving, I embrace my Diesel and the EV...cause it saves me $$$$
And that means more $$$ to spend on toy cars I don't need lol.

NOTE: I sold all my gas lawn equipment as well and went electric. Thats been a dream actually, cause now I mow at night when its cool and nobody cares cause its nearly silent LOL

Yes embrace change and who has the most to gain from EV? The performance guys!

What you guys really yearn for is gobs of torque more than horsepower and that is what you will get in the EV Mustang. I don’t care what any Ford insider said about the future of Mustangs. If they are keeping the brand there is an EV Mustang probably ready to go at a moments notice. And it will be faster as in way faster.

I predict nobody will lament the loss of the V8 when 2 second legal 0-60 performance arrives, 4.3 seconds will be suddenly irrrelevent and so will be the V8 and IC in general. I once swore I would never own anything other than a V8 and now I’m one version of a long term test subject (I’ve probably driven hybrids longer than anyone here) for hybrid and EV cars. Things change folks.

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
THe Mustang is not a practical car for more than 2 persons and a limited amount of gear and in snow. People today want space for friends, kids, dogs, and gear. A lot of buyers of these cars treat them as toys or fair weather cruisers. The MAGA crowd likes to tell you that the economy is better than it has ever been but fact is, middle class wages and buying power are STILL lagging far behind so a lot of people don't have piles of cash laying around to buy a fair weather cruiser plus a loaded SUV. Also, the price of a GT is now in the 40k range and pushing 50 for a loaded out convertible...that is a LOT of money when you could buy a very nice luxury car for that price. Plenty of BMWs, Lexuses, etc are in that range and even trucks so there is an awful lot of very practical luxurious options available for the same price. People don't want to be haggling with knocking engines, failing a/c systems, and vibrating drivelines at that price.

Thekid

Owning Mustangs for 50yrs
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Convertible
Wow. Just read this article today and it said Mustang sales are down 41% since the 2015 model year.

I didn't believe it since I would have guessed Mustang sales are up with this new model, especially the 2018. But sure enough I checked the Year over Year sales numbers and they were correct.

I had no idea sports car sales were falling off a cliff.

Seems like Millenials are the ones to blame according to the article.

Same is happening with the Camaro and Corvette.

Enjoy these cars while we can. Soon they will be Dinosaurs. :crying:

http://www.nydailynews.com/featured...uld-signal-end-of-an-era-20180910-story.html#

DETROIT (AP) — Sales of new American muscle cars are falling, raising questions in Detroit and elsewhere about whether a nostalgic, high-horsepower cruising culture that dates to before the 1950s is in peril.

Yet U.S. sales of the iconic Mustang, which leads the segment in 2018, fell 13 percent in 2016, almost 23 percent last year and 5 percent during the first half of this year.

Schuster said the risk is low, but it's still possible, that the muscle car segment could be dying. It won't happen within the next five years, but after that, he said the risk rises. "You're losing a market unless you do something with the vehicle that appeals more to a younger buyer," he said.

Since 2015 Mustang sales are down 41%. :curse:

sales.png
sales camaro.png
Since the “idiot in charge” tarrif war, we are now going to pay higher at the pump thus hurting muscle cars. Look for more of the same on poor economy performing autos. Will this lead to downsizing engines with restrictions like it did in the eighties?

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Still depressing to see the performance car market taking such a hit. Passenger cars also.

I can't stand SUVs. :curse:

I see this new crap Tesla (Model 3?) is running 0-60MPH in 3.5 seconds. WTF?

Very few American high horsepower cars can consistently get those low numbers.

I hope the whole EV market goes to hell and Trump does away with every incentive. :angry:
Hey Yolo, I'm no fan of the SUV either, but I can see why the soccer moms go for them. But what puzzles me the most is the overall love affair with full size, decked out pickup trucks. 90 % of them never haul anything, much less a trailer. I've always had one as a second or third vehicle, but only because it's a legal requirement in Texas. The F150 is our state bird! But it seems every year, pickups outsell everything 4 to 1. Go figure.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
I think once petrol/gas starts to become a significant chunk out of your monthly income then the small advantages provided by "old school" V8s no longer appears to be worth it. At some point the cost (and i dont just mean financial) of owning a certain kind of powerplant under the hood becomes impractical.

Its the reason I have a Ecoboost...and soon people will be going from Ecoboosts to electric Mustangs and the exact same outrage will be seen again.

I don't really have a stance on V8 vs Turbo vs Hybrid vs EV ... at the end of the day i just want the option of being able to own a Mustang. I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to V8s, in my country and my age group we never really had muscle cars and smaller displacement high performance engines were always a thing here since the 80s. For me a Mustang is just a cool looking car that happened to be in a lot of movies and TV shows, a symbol of the USA.

Would it be nice to have the V8 so that it feels more "original" or "authentic" ? Well...yeah but in the same way id like to have pizza and burgers and beer all day everyday, it would be great but at a huge cost to my life. If owning the V8 comes at a huge personal cost to me then whats the point ? Wheres the fun in making my own life more difficult than it needs to be ?

If the Mustang is going to survive, it needs to become relevant for every generation or it will die off. V8s will never die so nobody needs to fear, there are millions of these cars out there and if demand is high enough restomods and such will always be an option for you. Though whereas youll always have a chance to own a vehicle from those past generations you love, if Ford kills off the Mustang because it believes nobody wants anything other than a V8 in the car then there will be no more new Mustangs at all...so as they saying goes, choose your poison.

Sponsored

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
Yep. Still depressing to see the performance car market taking such a hit. Passenger cars also.

I can't stand SUVs. :curse:

I see this new crap Tesla (Model 3?) is running 0-60MPH in 3.5 seconds. WTF?

Very few American high horsepower cars can consistently get those low numbers.

I hope the whole EV market goes to hell and Trump does away with every incentive. :angry:
You seem like an emotionally stable genius lol

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I blame Nike. We should burn our Mustangs.
And don't forget your bra & draft card ... might as make the trifecta.

As an aside, I have ordered up a 2019 Mustang optioned only w/the Level 2 ... my 5th Mustang over the years. Production is delayed, but I do not care. I have never purchased a car in my life based upon sales or what others had to say about it. Unlike GM & Chrysler, Ford has stuck by the original 'Pony Car" thru thick & thin. They realize that the Mustang is to Ford what the Corvette is to Chevrolet ... both have left the basic brand behind to become icons in automotive history. Even to the point of reestablishing its relationship w/Carroll Shelby before he passed on. One of the best PR moves that Ford has ever done. The Camaro may be a little faster & the Challenger may be a little quicker, but there was no doubt about the Mustang being my 1st (& only) choice to replace my current 1998 GT (which I have owned for 15 years ... longer than any other vehicle I have ever owned in 50+ years). My 1st post on this site & I have babbled on long enough. Thanks for hearing me out.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Since the “idiot in charge” tarrif war, we are now going to pay higher at the pump thus hurting muscle cars. Look for more of the same on poor economy performing autos. Will this lead to downsizing engines with restrictions like it did in the eighties?
It's bad enough that a troll starts these ridiculous threads, it's even worse when clowns interject their politics.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It's bad enough that a troll starts these ridiculous threads, it's even worse when clowns interject their politics.
His comment is spot on and relates to the topic. I fail to see the problem.

Cool high school name calling though. Bet I can guess YOUR political affiliation.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Yolo, I'm no fan of the SUV either, but I can see why the soccer moms go for them. But what puzzles me the most is the overall love affair with full size, decked out pickup trucks. 90 % of them never haul anything, much less a trailer. I've always had one as a second or third vehicle, but only because it's a legal requirement in Texas. The F150 is our state bird! But it seems every year, pickups outsell everything 4 to 1. Go figure.
Why do most people like big trucks like the F150 they are very comfortable ride better than any car and because there big people feel safer in them which is true.

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Ken F. Williams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT # K0750 / Harley Davidson V-Rod / Lincoln MKX
Did anyone read the article? http://www.nydailynews.com/featured...uld-signal-end-of-an-era-20180910-story.html#

Muscle car fans consider the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette, and the Dodge Challenger and Charger to be the mainstays of Detroit performance cars. But their combined sales fell 7 percent in 2016, 11 percent last year, and are down almost 10 percent for the first half of 2018, according to numbers provided by Kelley Blue Book.

It's not just Mustang sales but American high-performance cars. They are ALL down.

The Trend is down which is not good.

Less profits = Less Research & Development = Less New Models & Improvements

Passenger cars and high performance internal combustible engine cars are in decline.

Everything today is Hybrid/EV crap.

Look what Forbes said this week: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/20...e-is-a-dead-man-walking-updated/#2e6fe147603f

"Seven Reasons Why The Internal Combustion Engine Is A Dead Man Walking"

Finally -

And if none of that convinces you, maybe check out the rest of the specs for the Tesla Roadster - 0-100kmh (0-60mph) in 1.9 seconds, top speed of 400kmh (250mph), and range of 1,000km (620 miles).

Or maybe watch a Tesla Model S race a Boeing 737, or even more incredibly, watch a Tesla Model X set a Guinness world record by towing a Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

And I haven't even mentioned the growing list of cities that are passing legislation to ban diesel engined vehicles from driving on their streets!

One last thought, when electric vehicles start to become more common, drivers of
internal combustion engine vehicles will be thought of the way smokers are regarded today.

And, as
fewer petrol (gas) stations will be needed, so they will either need to close down, or convert to electric fuelling stations.

As they are shuttered, people with internal combustion engine vehicles will have to travel further and further to find a place to fill up.

This inevitable vicious circle means it really is
game over for the internal combustion engine.

You can thank the Kalifornia whackos.
Soooooooooo WHAT if the Tesla can out preform any Mustang . . . enjoy the sound of nothing as you accelerate . . . NOT a chance.
The sound of my new 2019 BULLITT is absolutely Heaven to ME and to every BULLITT owner!!!
Would not trad it for anything, Period.

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Soooooooooo WHAT if the Tesla can out preform any Mustang . . . enjoy the sound of nothing as you accelerate . . . NOT a chance.
The sound of my new 2019 BULLITT is absolutely Heaven to ME and to every BULLITT owner!!!
Would not trad it for anything, Period.
There is a difference between steering a quick golf cart, and driving, shifting, a drivers car.

That’s the reason we share a passion for a drivers car. The mustang, with a battery and one gear would be a completely different experience.

If it was all about being quick, then we would all drive top fuel dragsters, but it’s not about how fast you get to speed, it’s the experience involved with getting to speed.
Sponsored