PMAS intake w/tune stalling on warm start

txpat3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue PP1 5.0
Hoping to get some help on an issue I've been having!

So I've had a PMAS intake (tune required) on my 19 GT for about seven months now and it continues to stall on warm starts - any engine start between about an hour to five hours after the initial cold start. This happens once and then it starts perfectly fine when I immediately start it again. No issues whatsoever with a cold start. The tune is from Lund, purchased in conjunction with the intake as one of their intake/tune packages. I reached out to Lund regarding this issue and was told that the PMAS intake is known for drivability issues and that "I am sure its the PMAS". I was told the issue is not tune related. If this is the case, I'm just wondering why I'm not finding more threads about this exact issue! The PMAS intake is relatively popular from what I understand. The car drives fine and has no other surging or idling issues apart from this initial stall on warm starts.

Here's a breakdown of what happens during a warm start:
- Car fires up and RPMs immediately drop to around 200-300.
- Sometimes the car will recover and get back to a solid idle in a few seconds; otherwise, it stalls out and dies.
- Starting the car up again RIGHT AWAY results in the car acting like it should - normal idle.
- This issue has never happened twice in a row. Just the initial warm start stall and then it fires up normally.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm guessing it's turbulence and the car doesn't like the MAF signal.

I occasionally had my car, 17 GT, stall at low speeds with a 2018 JLT (120 mm) intake. The second I changed to a different intake or in my case now, the 18 stock intake with Airaid tube, no more stalling and everything is clean on the MAF. No major dips in RPM.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have an idle hang issue (never a stalling issue) with my PMAS on my 2019 Bullitt. I’ve had it on the car now for about 1K miles. I am using the air intake snorkel from my GT350 air box too. Lund also told me that it was a PMAS issue with turbulent air at the MAF sensor and nothing that a tune will fix. I just pulled my sensor yesterday and sprayed it with MAF sensor cleaner and that seems to have helped some, but the condition is still present; just a few hundred rpm lower now.

How is your sensor oriented on your MAF housing? I wonder if sensor positioning determines whether you’ll have the hanging idle or low idle/stalling issues?
9F608482-8798-4A2B-8F55-8E64713660BC.jpeg
3390EE82-F2EF-4AFF-A6B1-EC836698B1B7.jpeg
B0B1D6B6-3063-4F1D-885A-D0DC51466151.jpeg

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I was thinking of adding a Velossatech big mouth ram air recently, but figured that may add a whole lot more turbulence and make the situation even worse.

OP
OP
txpat3

txpat3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue PP1 5.0
I have an idle hang issue (never a stalling issue) with my PMAS on my 2019 Bullitt. I’ve had it on the car now for about 1K miles. I am using the air intake snorkel from my GT350 air box too. Lund also told me that it was a PMAS issue with turbulent air at the MAF sensor and nothing that a tune will fix. I just pulled my sensor yesterday and sprayed it with MAF sensor cleaner and that seems to have helped some, but the condition is still present; just a few hundred rpm lower now.

How is your sensor oriented on your MAF housing? I wonder if sensor positioning determines whether you’ll have the hanging idle or low idle/stalling issues?
My sensor is oriented very similar to yours, maybe slightly lower? Everything looks lined up, I don't believe I could adjust it any differently. I pulled the sensor today and it seemed perfectly fine, but may try some cleaner as well. I wish I still had the stock intake as I would just go back to that...

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Lund also told me that it was a PMAS issue with turbulent air at the MAF sensor and nothing that a tune will fix
I find that hard to believe Lund said that, as the PMAS has without a doubt the cleanest MAF signal of any aftermarket CAI, AAI, whatever you wanna call it out there. Stock MAF or PMAS supplied MAF ?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I find that hard to believe Lund said that, as the PMAS has without a doubt the cleanest MAF signal of any aftermarket CAI, AAI, whatever you wanna call it out there. Stock MAF or PMAS supplied MAF ?
Yep, I was sure hoping they would take a look at it, but that’s the response they gave me. Yes, I have the PMAS supplier MAF sensor. I wish I could get hold of them to see what they say about it, but the last time I tried to call them the phone rang and the voice mailbox was full.

I take it you don’t have any issues with your idle? Can you post a quick pic of how your MAF sensor is oriented? I was wondering if this could be the reason for erratic idles. I can’t remember where I read it, but I remember reading something about clocking the sensor a certain way. I wish I had saved that information.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
PMAS has a PDF on there website for installation. Didn't see anything about clocking.
Maybe they were talking about the PMAS MAF?

VELVET 926.jpg

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
PMAS has a PDF on there website for installation. Didn't see anything about clocking.
Maybe they were talking about the PMAS MAF?

VELVET 926.jpg
That looks like the exact same orientation as my sensor.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like the exact same orientation as my sensor.
Yes Sir. Stupid question on my part, but Lund knows you have the 'no tune' required pmas correct ?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I told them in the notes for my tune order.
Ok that makes sense on what Lund said then. If your still in your revision window, maybe try the stock MAF. I'm running one, and as mentioned no idle/startup issues at all. It's just when you start it immediately after it stalls that's throwing me for a loop. Just an idea.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is the MAF sensor that PMAS supplied with my air intake kit.

C915FD0D-DABF-4A71-8368-71581C66ACD0.jpeg
Sponsored