Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There’s one major difference between the Probe era and the Mach E era. The FWD Probe was originally intended to replace the RWD Mustang. The Mustang as we knew it was going to transform forever, or just flat out disappear. Going forward, the Mustang Coupe and Convertible will be able to exist because the Mach E exists.
Do we have any reassurance whatsoever that replacement of the Mustang as a 2+2 coupe/convertible is NOT what's ultimately envisioned here?

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So let's say it's mid 2021 or only a little further out, and my wife and I (we're in our 70's) stop by a Ford store and say to the [pouncing] sales rep that we want to look at a Mustang. Let's say we get there by Uber there so that no vehicle preference clues might unintentionally be offered.

Which Mustangs do you think the rep is going to head us off in the direction of?

How many of you think we'd get steered toward this crossover thing?

Norm

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There’s one major difference between the Probe era and the Mach E era. The FWD Probe was originally intended to replace the RWD Mustang. The Mustang as we knew it was going to transform forever, or just flat out disappear. Going forward, the Mustang Coupe and Convertible will be able to exist because the Mach E exists. Could they have named it something else? Probably. But they didn’t and they own the trademark, so it’s their decision to make. But if the Mach E, under whatever name you want to call it doesn’t exist, the Mustang Coupe and Convertible die. That simple.

Car CAFE and Truck CAFE are managed separately. Each fleet must be compliant, with some amount of transferral of “extra” credits from the Car fleet to the Truck fleet or vice versa. Ford’s Car Fleet, for CAFE purposes, is Mustang and 2WD Escape. When Mach E hits the market, 2WD Mach E will also likely fall under the Car Fleet. That will help Ford’s Car Fleet CAFE immensely. AWD will likely fall under the Truck Fleet. Without Mach E, Mustang doesn’t stand a chance of balancing the Car CAFE requirements, even if every single one of them was an EcoBoost.
Your first point I completely agree with and it was something I was thinking as I was typing, but got sidetracked (dinner was delivered lol). The Mach E, for now, isn't intended to replace our beloved pony car. I think what galls me the most is Ford have even admitted Mach E was never going to be a Mustang, it was just a compliance vehicle. I don't doubt its importance in its CAFE role for Ford, and it's knock on (positive) impact on the Mustang coupe/convertible. Perhaps, with time, I'll be glad they called it a Mustang (assuming it helps to make it a sales success) and therefore ensures the continuation of coupe/convertible.

To your second point, the CAFE rules seem bizarre if the same vehicle can be a car (2WD) or a truck (AWD) :crazy:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Your first point I completely agree with and it was something I was thinking as I was typing, but got sidetracked (dinner was delivered lol). The Mach E, for now, isn't intended to replace our beloved pony car. I think what galls me the most is Ford have even admitted Mach E was never going to be a Mustang, it was just a compliance vehicle. I don't doubt its importance in its CAFE role for Ford, and it's knock on (positive) impact on the Mustang coupe/convertible. Perhaps, with time, I'll be glad they called it a Mustang (assuming it helps to make it a sales success) and therefore ensures the continuation of coupe/convertible.

To your second point, the CAFE rules seem bizarre if the same vehicle can be a car (2WD) or a truck (AWD) :crazy:
Yes, and the reasons behind it are even more bizarre. Remember the Chrysler PT Cruiser? Or the Chevrolet HHR? (Both designed by the same guy, by the way). Both were classified as Trucks for EPA certification because they had tailgates and with the rear seats folded down they had more cargo capacity than people capacity. GM and Chrysler were clearly locking in on a loophole. The EPA tried to close the loophole and added other requirements to the definition of a truck, including ride height, front and rear approach angle, and the presence or absence of AWD. It’s possible that 2WD Escape makes it into the truck fleet due to ride height or approach angle, but I do recall that there were years where 2WD Equinox / Captiva were car fleet and AWD were truck fleet for EPA purposes.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Going forward, the Mustang Coupe and Convertible will be able to exist because the Mach E exists. Could they have named it something else? Probably. But they didn’t and they own the trademark, so it’s their decision to make.
I have been saying for a long time cars like the Mustang will be gone in ten years or less the Mach E's success will allow the Mustang to live on. The Mach E's high profit and volume will help the lower volume Mustang to live on just like the F-150's sales volume makes it cost effective to keep a V8 in the Mustang, no F-150 no V8 Mustang.

Could they have named it something else? Probably.
Everyone needs to remember the Mustang Mach E was almost the Mustang Mach 1. Do I like the Mach E being called a Mustang not really but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have been saying for a long time cars like the Mustang will be gone in ten years or less the Mach E's success will allow the Mustang to live on. The Mach E's high profit and volume will help the lower volume Mustang to live on just like the F-150's sales volume makes it cost effective to keep a V8 in the Mustang, no F-150 no V8 Mustang.
I hope you're right and that Ford is not hanging onto the Mustang as a 2+2 more to help transition people into associating the name with a performance crossover than for maintaining a semblance of the Mustang's established tradition.

Norm

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Mustang Mach E is trash.

Ford is failing.

I love Ford but they are headed down.

#notamustang

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Shoulda named it PINTO.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
7FA0EA47-9179-4176-96E2-6E9F18C4EBB8.jpeg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Everyone needs to remember the Mustang Mach E was almost the Mustang Mach 1. Do I like the Mach E being called a Mustang not really but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Ford should have just called it simply the "Mach E" ... E for Electric, so simple yet so fitting.

But instead Ford had to infiltrate the Mustang line with something that's not even Mustang relevant in any way, shape or form.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Shoulda named it PINTO.
Bite your tongue.

I realize that it's popular to bash the Pinto, but the people most apt to do so don't understand that the little car had serious potential as a sports coupe (almost sports car). Didn't take a whole lot of effort to unlock it either.

This new e thing is anything but sporty in a lightly modified Pinto sense.

Norm

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Bite your tongue.

I realize that it's popular to bash the Pinto, but the people most apt to do so don't understand that the little car had serious potential as a sports coupe (almost sports car). Didn't take a whole lot of effort to unlock it either.

This new e thing is anything but sporty in a lightly modified Pinto sense.

Norm

I has a1979 Pinto hatchback it was my first car and it was a great little car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I do like the Mustang Mach E for one reason. It helped to clarify in my mind that Ford doesn't like me or have strong feelings for doing things that please me. They are a business and they want to make money. Just because I've owned a ton of different Fords and very few other brands doesn't mean I have earned any loyalty from Ford.

And there's no reason I need to directly support Ford. I really like some of their products, but I can easily buy cars that are a few years old instead of buying new. It saves me a lot of money. And I've always been open to buying a competitor product in theory, but now I have a motivation to want to buy a competitor's product if it's good enough.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
Gotta get this garbage back to the top.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Gotta get this garbage back to the top.
Yeah, right. Every time someone tops this garbage it's like salt in the wound. Including me. So I try to ignore it.

I won't be buying any new Fords until this is thoroughly undone. A company that does something like this can't be trusted. Their words are meaningless and their brand is meaningless.

Everyone knows that this should be moved to a different forum. Back to trying to ignore it.
Sponsored