Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
This is the wife's next car - she wants a GT in Grabber Blue.

Look - eventually - like it or not - gas Mustangs will go the way of the Dodo. I'm glad I'm having fun with mine, but Ford needs a win and this is it. The masses will go nuts over this. Plus the Wife now sees a Ford she actually wants - perfect.
For me, this has nothing to do with gas vs electric. I'd be perfectly fine with it if this were a proper electric Mustang coupe. That would be a big positive for Ford and the brand. It's co-opting the Mustang name for an SUV that is the problem.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
For me, this has nothing to do with gas vs electric. I'd be perfectly fine with it if this were a proper electric Mustang coupe. That would be a big positive for Ford and the brand. It's co-opting the Mustang name for an SUV that is the problem.
Right on.

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
That's a single profit per quarter, doesn't come close to covering the billions in real losses. But nice try. And showing me stock prices does nothing but make me laugh. If you think the stock market is a real market and not a manipulated one played like a fiddle by insiders (who own the company Tesla even) then LOL on you. And yeah, Ford's stock is trash, that's mostly a reflection of poor upper level management...and lack of vision, which between quality issues at the factories and billions spent on technology most Americans just don't want!
Profit means very little to a company that is rapidly growing. In fact, profit would be bad. Tesla could easily be profitable... all they have to do is shut down their non-profitable departments (e.g. solar) and stop making new superchargers. Boom - profitable. But that would hinder growth. What matters is how much cash flow they have coming in. Comparing Q2 cash flow results to 2018 Q2 and see how much of an improvement there is. Building factories isnt cheap. Q3 has seen a lot of the equipment purchased or leased for their China factory and big startup costs. Q4 and onward will start to look amazing as the China factory begins paying out. Also, about the stock market, it's a free market not a free and fair market. It's a zero sum game, people who complain about market manipulation were just on the wrong side of the market.

Burnin' Rubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Domestic
It's not about the Mach e itself, it's that it's being managed in a manner that's doing the ponycar no favors. When Ford feels free to spend the Mustang's equity as an icon on an entirely different sort of vehicle, it makes me wonder what their future plans for the ponycar itself might be.

Norm
That's true. The name Mach E might even have been ideal for an all-electric Mustang coupe but they wasted it on the SUV. Do they even plan on making an all-electric Mustang coupe?

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Profit means very little to a company that is rapidly growing. In fact, profit would be bad. Tesla could easily be profitable... all they have to do is shut down their non-profitable departments (e.g. solar) and stop making new superchargers. Boom - profitable. But that would hinder growth. What matters is how much cash flow they have coming in. Comparing Q2 cash flow results to 2018 Q2 and see how much of an improvement there is. Building factories isnt cheap. Q3 has seen a lot of the equipment purchased or leased for their China factory and big startup costs. Q4 and onward will start to look amazing as the China factory begins paying out. Also, about the stock market, it's a free market not a free and fair market. It's a zero sum game, people who complain about market manipulation were just on the wrong side of the market.
This is a good point.

Amazon really wasn't profitable during expansion years. From like 2010-2015 they probably showed a loss overall.

Now they are making outrageous money.

Burnin' Rubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Domestic
Maybe it's not too late for them to change it given the negative feedback. Aside from the pony emblems I don't recall any badges or script specifically saying Mustang on what has been shown of the Mach E.

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
They should release a second movie. "A fatter horse."

Reactions: nrc

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
That, and also the way that we got to this point.

It would not surprise me at this point to find out that 'Mustang Mach E' was the intended name all along, with 'Mach 1' and 'Mach E' without the 'Mustang' part being tossed out first to condition public opinion . . . just nudge it a little. And to 'game' the buying public into believing that no naming had been finalized.

They already knew that whatever behind-the-scenes approach they took for the FWD Mustang that was eventually named 'Probe' didn't work then, and would have been even less likely to work now.

Norm
I suspect that this was a closely held secret in the upper echelons until late in the game. During the Mach 1 debacle John Clor of Ford Performance wrote strongly against misapplication of Mustang brands in the Mustang Times. It doesn't read like something someone would write if they knew this was coming.

I also read that Hackett sent the designers back to the drawing board to make the design more Mustang-like. It causes me to wonder if they too were told only "Mustang inspired" and not Mustang branded.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I'm not upset by the decision, but I am surprised by it.

I do think it was idiotic, and am surprised how willingly Ford threw the Mustang brand image away.

Previously, when people said "Mustang" you knew what they were talking about. The car had a clear history and a clear mission going forward. It's always been a car that was meant to be sporty and fun, carefree, with reasonable utility, at a reasonable price. A car you can cruise around in comfortably, take on a twisty mountain road in a spirited fashion, or use to haphazardly take out some peds while leaving cars and coffee.

Now, you have the classic Mustang, plus this totally different vehicle. It shares nothing with the Mustang history, or its mission going forward.

Trying to tie the two together makes no sense to me. I don't think you gain much by trying to force the carefree aspects of the Mustang into a utilitarian vehicle. The reason the Mustang is a strong brand is because it has been consistent over its life. Similar to the 911 or Corvette, or Wrangler. When Porsche came out with the Cayenne, they didn't try to call it a 911X or anything like that, even though it shared similar cosmetic features to the 911 and was meant to be a sporty SUV with excellent road manners.

So, while I don't really care that there is now a different "Mustang" in the stable, it does seem like Ford has just thrown away the meaning of the Mustang. It has nothing to do with tradition, or history, but rather projecting a clear image about what that brand means. That message of the Mustang is now distorted and unclear, and I think that will affect how people think of the car going forward.

I am very surprised that the Ford family let this happen. It really looks like they are chasing short-term trends, rather than using those trends to make informed decisions and forging ahead with their own vision.

The Mach-E name is fine, but trying to glom onto the Mustang brand is a mistake, one I hope Ford can fix.

-T

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The Mustang branding gives me a bellyache, no question about that. But from what I see over the last few days of the product itself and the corporate reasoning here, I'm not inclined to go Chicken Little where Ford is concerned. The future is unknowable by its nature, so we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.
I'm understanding this vehicle, and I believe it will be successfull. Ready don't understand the badging of Mustang. Seems counter productive to use an old name on a completely new vehicle. Don't entertain the the discussion of business end since the public " don't know jack".
What I do see is a modern vehicle that once it is over the first year bugs will be consumed by many a family. I would seriously consider buying one. Just don't understand trying to make it acceptable by throwing the Mustang name on, it unless the Mustang coupe is done

Reactions: DRB

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The 3.5 0-60 is the GT Performance Pack option that won't be available until Spring of 2021 I read this morning. What's that going to cost, probably $70K plus?

Exactly ... and for $70k+, there’s many better options across all Brand platforms - even IF the $7.5k tax credit was applied to it...

Hell, just for discussion sake about prices - I was looking up the new 2020 Explorers, there’s not 1 Explorer that I saw that was below $50k.... and even if you upped the ante and put together an Exp ST package, WOW - the price really jumps.

For crying out loud, Ford used to be affordable...

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
2.5 pages of crap and 8 minutes of my life I won't get back.
leave the politics somewhere else, unless we are talking ford
and there politics, which could be a legitimate part of this, maybe.
Sponsored