Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
I wonder how many people have actually driven the sportier versions of the Mach E...
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
V8-Kendall-Dodge-1024x469.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Don't need to eat a turd to know it tastes like shit. Perhaps some of us simply have zero desire to drive a crossover, no matter how fast it is. Looks and styling and heritage matter. Maybe not to you, but to many enthusiasts, they do.

The Mustang is Ford's brand to do with what they want. They've chosen to break with tradition by putting the galloping pony on an electric Escape. That's after 55+ years of 2+2 sports coupes that embody their own class of vehicle (the Fishy-car :giggle:). We don't have to like it, or "get over it" or "just try it". If we wanted a fast crossover, we'd have bought fast crossovers. Instead, we bought Pony cars.

I wonder if you'd proselytize as much if the Mach-E was a minivan, but with the same level of performance. I can't think of anything that could make a minivan desirable.

Actually, scratch that...Dodge, make this a real thing!

Love it! I’d drive that before the Mach-e. But I’m weird and would love to have a 69 ecoline van. With cregars and a bubble window.:turkey:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not true. Every generation has had gearheads (petrolheads for you limey bastards :crackup: ). We've always been the minority. I've brought this up before. You have to go out of your way to buy the more expensive, less efficient, less practical, and probably less comfortable car to be into performance vehicles. This has been true for decades, and can be said about every make/price range.
Exactly this. I've lived in Europe for most my life, so manuals are the life for me, plus I'm a weirdo about manual transmissions. This has vastly limited my choices of vehicles in the US. If I didn't want poverty spec stuff with little bit of pep, I settled on '18 Accord 2.0 6spd. Got me power hungry, I settled on Bullitt. But, in about what, 5 years, there'll be like 3 models with stick shift? :(

I have a performance car for doing performance car things. I have an SUV for doing SUV things. A tool for every job. What I don’t have, or want is a pickup truck. Don’t need, don’t want. But I know I’m in the minority there. I don’t go around saying that pickup trucks shouldn’t exist, just because I personally have no use for one.
Get out of here with your logic. This is an online forum where common sense doesn't apply and you by rule must insult other people's choices! Are you new here or something??

Hmmmm...I think we need to intensify the memes.

20201011_235924.jpg
Is it just how the picture was stretched, or is that pony REALLY THICK?? If yes, I see what you did there. :D

But to be fair SUV outsells coupe wouldn't be a shock
SUVs and CUVs are crowding out sedans and sporty coupes because that what consumers are choosing. The downward spiral of sedans has been evident since at least 2012. Manufacturers are just reacting to what consumers have been saying they prefer.
.... Not a lot of sedans, though. I count maybe four. And a handful of performance vehicles.
I get both of your points gents, but I would dare to disagree little bit with the highlighted sentence - of course lots and LOTS of people are going for SUVs because that's the thing these days. And manufacturers are telling us that's what consumers want.
But I feel it's a bit of catch 22 - manufacturers now only bother offering SUVs (with the exception of Malibu and Charger, what other sedan does a US manufacturer make?) and they improve mainly SUVs. So if as a buyer you want good tech, new equipment, etc., you HAVE to get an SUV (or a truck). And then manufacturers go "look everyone wants SUV." Yea, that's cause all you have to offer these days.
You'll pry my sporty coupes and manual transmissions from my cold, dead hands.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Don't need to eat a turd to know it tastes like shit. Perhaps some of us simply have zero desire to drive a crossover, no matter how fast it is. Looks and styling and heritage matter. Maybe not to you, but to many enthusiasts, they do.

The Mustang is Ford's brand to do with what they want. They've chosen to break with tradition by putting the galloping pony on an electric Escape. That's after 55+ years of 2+2 sports coupes that embody their own class of vehicle (the Fishy-car :giggle:). We don't have to like it, or "get over it" or "just try it". If we wanted a fast crossover, we'd have bought fast crossovers. Instead, we bought Pony cars.

I wonder if you'd proselytize as much if the Mach-E was a minivan, but with the same level of performance. I can't think of anything that could make a minivan desirable.

Actually, scratch that...Dodge, make this a real thing!

Been waiting for the to give the Hellcat treatment to the Pacifica for a while now, even though they mentioned they're going away from that engine I think.
But hell, I don't have kids nor do I need a van or an SUV. But the Durango Hellcat and Pacifica Hellcat look and sound freaking sweet. :D

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wonder how many people have actually driven the sportier versions of the Mach E...
I've ridden in a few SUVs/CUVs. Enough to know without question that they simply aren't for me. Keep in mind that not even wanting to ride in them guarantees that I wouldn't enjoy driving them, let alone be the least bit willing to buy one. For me, an EV SUV/CUV starts with a poor choice and makes it worse.

It's about knowing yourself.

Norm

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've ridden in a few SUVs/CUVs. Enough to know without question that they simply aren't for me. Keep in mind that not even wanting to ride in them guarantees that I wouldn't enjoy driving them, let alone be the least bit willing to buy one. For me, an EV SUV/CUV starts with a poor choice and makes it worse.

Norm
We also live in a strange time where one vehicle must be everything for everyone. There's less sporty vehicles, but they're also dedicated vehicles generally. I don't need back seats, that's why dailying my Bullitt is awesome. But if I needed more seats, Bullitt would obviously be out as a daily.

You got SUVs like Mercedes AMGs and X5 M etc etc. These now have to be a sports car, practical SUV for mommies and also a comfortable cruiser all in one. So what you get is either compromise of all 3 and a crappy riding vehicle (but affordable-ish), or you shell out ya a*s in the realm of $100k plus to get little bit of everything done well.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
….
But I feel it's a bit of catch 22 - manufacturers now only bother offering SUVs (with the exception of Malibu and Charger, what other sedan does a US manufacturer make?) and they improve mainly SUVs. So if as a buyer you want good tech, new equipment, etc., you HAVE to get an SUV (or a truck). And then manufacturers go "look everyone wants SUV." Yea, that's cause all you have to offer these days.
You'll pry my sporty coupes and manual transmissions from my cold, dead hands.
It is a bit of chicken and egg. Sedan sales dropped because of the newer shinier SUVs, and now CUVs. So OEMs started featuring their newest technologies in CUVs and not so much in sedans, making the disparity in demand even wider. Except for Hyundai Kia. They have actually launched some of their newest technology in Hyundai Sonata and Kia K5. Things like operating the car with Smartphone Key that you can transfer to others as easily as a text message and SmartPark ( or is it SmahtPahk like in the commercial?). Where you can get out of the car and have it park itself into and later out of a tight parking spot. I question that one. Why park my car in a spot that’s too narrow for me to open the doors? Just begging to get dinged by the doors opening on the two adjacent cars that don’t have SmahtPahk.

In any event, those techs are offered on the Sonata and K5. It’ll be interesting to see what the take rate is for them and if it will boost sales at all.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It is a bit of chicken and egg. Sedan sales dropped because of the newer shinier SUVs, and now CUVs. So OEMs started featuring their newest technologies in CUVs and not so much in sedans, making the disparity in demand even wider. Except for Hyundai Kia. They have actually launched some of their newest technology in Hyundai Sonata and Kia K5. Things like operating the car with Smartphone Key that you can transfer to others as easily as a text message and SmartPark ( or is it SmahtPahk like in the commercial?). Where you can get out of the car and have it park itself into and later out of a tight parking spot. I question that one. Why park my car in a spot that’s too narrow for me to open the doors? Just begging to get dinged by the doors opening on the two adjacent cars that don’t have SmahtPahk.

In any event, those techs are offered on the Sonata and K5. It’ll be interesting to see what the take rate is for them and if it will boost sales at all.
Right, good analogy, what came first versus what we're stuck with now.
Yeah, I really liked my '18 Accord - had just about every feature I could have wanted (except for cooled seats) and a 6spd and potent engine. But that 6spd is no more.
Hyundai/Kia does put out cool things.

Maybe getting in and out of your tight city garage could be for that feature. But yea, mostly just a gimmick to show off to your friends. I park at the very end of parking lots anyways (and there's always one as*hole in the empty lot that sticks it right next to me just to piss me off).

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Might I also add that marketing pushed the newer, shinier SUV's with the notion that they were "safer"?
Everyone wants to sit up high. It's this theme of feeling above everyone else to an extent. Plus, taller vehicle are harder to see over, so the next new model is a bit taller yet, and then it keeps going that way.

Wife picked up used F150 2 months ago for farm/LLC stuff, it has offroad package. Holy crap, going to that right after driving my Bullitt feels like I'm in a big rig. Not a huge fan of sitting that high up, but I can see how it gives people the illusion of safety.

Sponsored

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

Norm
And I live in an area where the GT350 can only be on the road between late April and early October. So I need another vehicle. And driving the Mach E was a total and utter hoot. No, I haven't driven the GT Performance yet (the one I ordered), but I have driven the Premium with the ERB in eAWD. Its fast as heck for an SUV, faster than my Explorer Sport (with some mods) than the wife's F-Pace S Dynamic (by a good margin too). Add to this we are moving to Big Island soon, and driving the GT350 full time on Big Island, as anyone knows, is a good way to blow out wheels and tires and damage frames constantly... So yep, the MachE makes total sense as a second vehicle for me. The fact that it is part of the Mustang family is only one of the many minor benefits it brings to the table.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Then you have no ground to stand on. You don't like it, which is fine. But the simple fact of the matter is the Mach E IS a good driving vehicle. And if the GT and GT Performance Editions only add more power, MagneRide, better brakes etc will make it one of the better performing crossovers out there. And there is nothing turd or shit about that.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
These exist:

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r3/
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-alpin-5
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-x-ice-snow
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/winter-sottozero-3
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/blizzak-lm-32/

The "necessity" of an AWD vehicle in the winter is a myth. Safe driving of any vehicle in the winter is a simple formula:

4 - parts good tires + 1 - part good driver = every car is a year round car

I've driven in active snow storms, and watched "safe" SUV's slip and slide around because they were running crap no-season tires. Meanwhile, I'm totally fine in my RWD deathtrap.
I am NOT driving my GT350 in ice and snow. No one said it was just about rubber. Not once. So kindly stop assuming.

I live in northern New England and have my whole life minus when deployed. I know what plows do to the pavement, I know what salt does to vehicles... so good for you ! You go and drive your GT350 in the snow and poor weather. I for one, won't which is exactly why I have an alternative vehicle.

No one said an SUV/CUV/4x4 was the answer to everything, that they magically make snow and ice easy to drive on.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I have no ground to stand on for not wanting a CUV? That makes literally no sense at all. It's a turd to me BECAUSE it's a crossover. I thought I made it clear that the performance has nothing to do with my preference here. They could make it the quickest car on the planet, and I still wouldn't want it. It is not a market segment I have any interest in. That's why I brought up the minivan (which you never addressed). I don't want a truck, I don't want an SUV, I don't want a hatchback, I don't want a CUV. I want a coupe/sedan. The Mach-E isn't either.

At this point I feel like you're either being intentionally obtuse, or trying to justify your own purchase.

You do you. You're not going to convince us with how great your crossover is.
News flash. There is a huge difference between being shit and one thinking something is shit... I think any car built by Stellantis is total and utter crap.

And you are not going to convince me, or Ford for that matter, that the Mustang Mach E is a mistake, wrong, damages the Mustang name or whatever stick is currently up your ass about the name.