Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Transmissions in EVs are good for speed... Not range due to losses in the transmission itself (driveline loss). That is why the most you see in EVs today are 2 speed gear boxes if any. One gear for low and one for high speed. I seriously doubt that MT82 can survive behind that motor for to long. It is not really the amount of torque but the fact that it is instantaneous that destroys a transmission.

Certainly a interesting concept and a great tool to get more people on board with an EV mustang but nothing more.
Agreed - it's a marketing device. Electronics can easily limit or apply torque in a smooth manner if necessary to help the gearbox live, though.

So its almost a guarantee that in 10-20 years, this is the future of mustangs.
That is a dystopian future. I prefer to believe in the ingenuity of the human race and hope that we can find a way to continue driving cars that are powered by explosions and give more freedom back to the people. It's obvious that the people on this web forum want V8 gas engines. In my opinion it's not right for the government to take those engines away from us. If people on here really believed the environmental BS they certainly wouldn't be driving Mustangs, right?

Which is why coal is on its way out also. It's been long proved that even including recycling the battery over the life of an electric car its still better for the environment than a gas car.
Completely untrue. Batteries keep changing and improving. There's no consistent battery construction/tech that you can point to and say something is "long proven".
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I'm interested in electric vehicles, but not until the infrastructure is built up enough where there is sufficient charging options available for mass consumption (meaning, swap the EV/Gas ownership figures).

Also, the TFL Car channel showed the downside of charging a Tesla when going around town. So many different companies own and maintain the charging stations that you need to have an account with each company, otherwise you may not be able to charge your vehicle there. Hours of operation also impact when you can and cannot charge. Plus, every EV has a different proprietary plug which requires a series of adapters to make a car work with a particular plug. And charging is usually very slow....maybe 5-6 miles of range per hour. Would take 24+ hours to "fill the tank".

Gas cars don't have this limitation. Just open the gas cap, insert the pump nozzle, and start pumping gas. Doesn't matter the station (BP, Shell, Exxon) or the region. Only nozzle difference is between gas and diesel.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm interested in electric vehicles, but not until the infrastructure is built up enough where there is sufficient charging options available for mass consumption (meaning, swap the EV/Gas ownership figures).

Also, the TFL Car channel showed the downside of charging a Tesla when going around town. So many different companies own and maintain the charging stations that you need to have an account with each company, otherwise you may not be able to charge your vehicle there. Hours of operation also impact when you can and cannot charge. Plus, every EV has a different proprietary plug which requires a series of adapters to make a car work with a particular plug. And charging is usually very slow....maybe 5-6 miles of range per hour. Would take 24+ hours to "fill the tank".

Gas cars don't have this limitation. Just open the gas cap, insert the pump nozzle, and start pumping gas. Doesn't matter the station (BP, Shell, Exxon) or the region. Only nozzle difference is between gas and diesel.
I'm guessing your not old enough to remember leaded vs. unleaded gas. Different nozzles that created quite a stir back in the day.

Like everything else, this will evolve. Someday we will have universal charging stations and hopefully universal plugs.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Leaded gas was on its way out when I was a kid (I'm a late 70s baby). Grandfather had a 66 Belvedere which required leaded gas. There was one station near the house that had it. But I was way too young to pump gas when leaded went the way of the dodo, so I would have never known about the nozzle difference.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I'm guessing your not old enough to remember leaded vs. unleaded gas. Different nozzles that created quite a stir back in the day.

Like everything else, this will evolve. Someday we will have universal charging stations and hopefully universal plugs.
The nozzles weren't different, people were smarter. You could easily pump leaded gasoline into a vehicle with a catalytic converter.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you cant put leaded gasoline in a converter car? I didn't know that. ive never seen a leaded pump though.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Can't say I've seen any of those pumps at any of the stations I've been to since I've began driving in the early 90s

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Which is why coal is on its way out also. It's been long proved that even including recycling the battery over the life of an electric car its still better for the environment than a gas car.
I'm going to need to see some sources for that.

Between manufacturing the batteries, charging the batteries, disposing/recycling the batteries, and impact damaged batteries has, it's extremely difficult to just wash this over as "fact".

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
you cant put leaded gasoline in a converter car? I didn't know that. ive never seen a leaded pump though.
They had to go to unleaded gas because of the catalytic converters. Put leaded gas into an unleaded car destroyed the CC.

920x920.jpg

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I love these. The pricing on the Texaco pump is hysterical. Back then they used 8/10th. Wonder why?
once upon a time it was common to see various tenths in the pricing. Back when a dime was worth a dollar. My father has stories about keeping the station he worked at in high school 1/10 under the guy down the road.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)