Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I wonder what the MSRP would be on this All Electric 900HP/1000FT LB of Torque Mustang GT would be?...Sounds like it would give the 2020 Tesla Roaster a run for its Money!...0 to 60 in 1.9 sec.s, 1/4 mile in 8.8 sec.s, Top Speed is over 250mph and a range of 600 miles!...I am Just Saying!...God Bless America!
Maybe - and at probably a third the price - but the Tesla (also American) has a motor driving the front (two driving the back) wheels too - would have the AWD advantage unless some of what weā€™ve heard about platform-sharing plans is true...
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I'd much rather this than a "Mustang inspired" electric SUV!

And the manual 'box is an interesting choice.
I have a feeling the beefed up MT82 is to draw the interest of the mustang and sports car crowd, and will not be offered except on high end models at an extra cost. I say this because every electric and hybrid vehicle we get here at the shop is equipped with a CVT, and while I donā€™t like CVTā€™s, they do seem to be the best trans suited for those types of vehicles.
The other option would probably be a single speed, step down transmission like is used in the Tesla S model.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
WEBASTO AND FORD TEAM UP FOR MUSTANG ā€˜LITHIUMā€™: BATTERY ELECTRIC MUSCLE CAR LIGHTS-UP SEMA, SIGNALS FUTURE OF PERFORMANCE

Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype.jpg

• Built in collaboration between Ford and Webasto, Mustang Lithium project vehicle generates more than 1000 ft.-lbs. of instant torque and more than 900 horsepower for new levels of performance and technology with its 800-volt Webasto battery system with EVDrive technology
  • Best of both worlds, Mustang Lithium accelerates the next generation of performance: unique 6-speed manual shifting, track handling and stunning quarter-mile acceleration with instant electric torque, and zero emissions
  • Ford is investing more than $11.5 billion in electrified vehicles by 2022, including an all-new Mustang-inspired fully electric SUV in 2020 with targeted range of 300 miles and an all-electric F-150 in a few years, a hybrid version of the best-selling F-150 pickup available in 2020 will join all-new Ford Escape and Explorer hybrids launched this year
LAS VEGAS, Nev., Nov. 05, 2019 ā€“ Ford and Webasto today reveal Mustang Lithium, an ultra-high-performance battery electric Mustang fastback prototype. With more than 1,000 ft.-lbs. of torque and more than 900 horsepower instantaneously available, this Mustang amps muscle car performance to a new level and helps gauge the level of interest the next wave of performance customers have in lightning-quick performance that only fully electric powertrains can deliver.

The Mustang Lithium build is not only a one-off prototype to showcase electrification on the worldā€™s best-selling sports car but also a testbed for battery and thermal management technologies Webasto and Ford are creating for the growing e-mobility automotive segment.

ā€œFord has made no secret of the fact that we are electrifying our most popular nameplates,ā€ said Hau Thai-Tang, Fordā€™s Chief Product Development and Purchasing Officer. ā€œThis one-off Mustang prototype is a great opportunity for us, together with Webasto, to showcase to our customers what a new electrified powertrains can do for performance in a car they already know and love.ā€

An electrified street-ready beast, Mustang Lithium is low and sleek, with custom carbon fiber body components, a 1.0-inch lowered stance and 20-inch staggered fitting forged wheels. Under the hood, the differences are electrifying: a Phi-Power dual-core electric motor and dual power inverters ā€“ all powered by an 800-volt Webasto battery system with EVDrive Technology that can discharge a mega-watt of electrical energy.

At 800 volts, thatā€™s twice the voltage of most electric cars on the road today. This allows the system to be lighter, more powerful and generate less heat, and more electric force than most battery-electric systems on the road today.

In a unique twist, Mustang Lithium features a manual transmission and uses a drag-strip proven Calimer-version of the Getrag MT82 6-speed transmission with billet internals to handle the 1,000 ft.-lbs. of torque. Ford Performance half shafts and Super 8.8 TorsenĀ® differential help supply power to the road via lightweight Forgeline wheels wearing MichelinĀ® PilotĀ® Sport 4S tires.

Additional features include Ford Performanceā€™s Track Handling Pack and strut tower brace, Brembo six-piston front brakes from the Shelby GT350R, Sankuer Composite Technologies side splitters and rear diffuser, plus Webasto hood with see-through polycarbonate windows, TurboDX charging solution and TurboCord portable charger.

Mustang Lithium features a unique set of drive modes that apply a controlled amount of torque for different driving scenarios including: Valet, Sport, Track and Beast, and are instantly available on demand via a custom in-dash 10.4-inch touchscreen display.

ā€œVery similar to Fordā€™s push for vehicle electrification, this is an innovative way to further the technologies weā€™re developing to enable vehicle electrification while creating a vision of how cool the future of electric performance will be,ā€ said Mark Denny, Webasto Customized Solutions North America President and CEO.

Electric drive is essential to the future of Ford

For more than 20 years, Ford has brought electric and hybrid-electric vehicles to the masses and has produced more than 800,000 around the globe.

Ford is investing more than $11.5 billion in electrified vehicles by 2022, including an all-new Mustang-inspired fully electric SUV in 2020 with range of 300 miles and an all-electric F-150 in a few years.

As Ford actively refreshes its lineup, the all-new 2020 Ford Explorer and Escape hybrid SUVs feature the companyā€™s fourth-generation lithium-ion battery technology, similar to the energy storage system used on the Mustang Lithium. An F-150 Hybrid also arrives next year. More than the instantaneous torque of these electric drive powertrains provide, greater levels of torque management and driver control can be enabled, plus zero emissions.

Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-2.jpg
ATTACH=full]408827[/ATTACH]
Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-3.jpg
Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-4.jpg
Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-5.jpg
Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-6.jpg
Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-1.jpg

LIVE PHOTOS FROM SEMA 2019

Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-1.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-2.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-3.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-4.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-5.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-6.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-7.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-8.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-9.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-10.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-11.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-12.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-13.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-14.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-15.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-16.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-17.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-18.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-19.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-20.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-21.jpg
Ford-Mustang-Lithium-Battery-Electric-Prototype-Webasto-SEMA-Build-22.jpg
No.... Please... Make it stop...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
As someone has already pointed out, electric cars will put more demand on the grid. Imagine a blackout and you don't have the juice to get to work...or worse, home. And lithium batteries, which are not a sustainable option. That said, battery tech is evolving all the time and I believe that is the key to it all. I also think power storage on megawatt levels makes sense, if we are going down that road. But I'll leave it to scientists to figure out how to do that. Practically, electric cars need to have a battery module that can easily be swapped out for another unit. Unplug, pop a few fasteners loose off and take it out.

I think hybrid tech makes more sense for where we are at right now. Having an ICE that can take over is more reliable at this point.

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Oh yeah! Sign me up!!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Wonder what the range is on this.... 50 miles or the transmission is in the rearview mirror.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
As someone has already pointed out, electric cars will put more demand on the grid. Imagine a blackout and you don't have the juice to get to work...or worse, home. And lithium batteries, which are not a sustainable option. That said, battery tech is evolving all the time and I believe that is the key to it all. I also think power storage on megawatt levels makes sense, if we are going down that road. But I'll leave it to scientists to figure out how to do that. Practically, electric cars need to have a battery module that can easily be swapped out for another unit. Unplug, pop a few fasteners loose off and take it out.

I think hybrid tech makes more sense for where we are at right now. Having an ICE that can take over is more reliable at this point.

Problem solved:
All they have to do is make the roof panel solar - and *blam*, there ya go, insta-charging while the car is parked outside with no need to always ā€œplug-inā€ and it will be ā€œoff the gridā€ to squash all of the chicken little worries above...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
With EV's your shifting the emissions from the tailpipe the electric power plant. The more the demand for electricity to charge EV's the more emissions from power plants.
It was pointed out by a number of members in another thread that emissions on new vehicles are extremely low. We need to move away from ICE's to lower our dependence on fossil fuels. We may have plenty now but that is going to change. Power plants can and will find other sources to power them.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I wish Ford would have spent all this $ on something useful. I believe only millenials and folks younger would show positive support for electric vehicles or actually buy one.. ...My wish list for that money would have been production facilities and workers trained who can actually build cars with body panels that line up properly, and paint that doesn't crater and pit when bugs (sometimes seemingly just a gust of air) hit the front of the car and cause chips/damage at a rapid rate. Watching Ford spending money like this on a future that is uncertain while year after year ignoring the lack of quality issues that already plague our brand is all I see right now. Rant over...
upload_2019-11-6_9-24-21.jpeg

I'm not sure about millennials and younger folks. They are the "Uber" generation and may start moving away from car ownership altogether. As far as Ford and Flat Rock, i don't know. They do not need to spend more money to fix our cars. Management needs to get their act together and create an environment where the workers care about the products they are producing.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Problem solved:
All they have to do is make the roof panel solar - and *blam*, there ya go, insta-charging while the car is parked outside with no need to always ā€œplug-inā€ and it will be ā€œoff the gridā€ to squash all of the chicken little worries above...
Imagine a blackout and you don't have the juice to get to work...or worse, home.

If you have a blackout the gas pumps will not work. They run on electricity.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It was pointed out by a number of members in another thread that emissions on new vehicles are extremely low. We need to move away from ICE's to lower our dependence on fossil fuels. We may have plenty now but that is going to change. Power plants can and will find other sources to power them.
Sure like natural gas (fossil fuel) or nuclear power (Chornobyl)