Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
How exactly does a stick work in an electric? is there a clutch? or is it simply a paddle shifter, essentially. shifting without any depressing of a clutch
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
No smell of fuel, instant torque, no mechanical noise, and I'm sure they will move to the vehicle self driving and limits on power. Probably will have readouts sent to local enforcements.
I drove some electric go carts, I didn't control speed, the attendant did. The cars will lose their souls

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That needs a 10R80...

and this is what I said in another similar thread BEFORE the (2) hot EV Mustang thread were posted here today:

Here’s what I see coming and you can revisit this below statement when it happens... Not everyone who purchased a Mustang is in it for just the classic V8 “sound”. As you and I both know, anyone who buys a Mustang is in it for:

1) Styling
2) Historical icon
3) Ease of upgrades or modifications
4) The exhilaration of speed
5) Ability to track the car whether it’s drag racing, road racing or Auto-X
6) having previously owned other Mustangs

With the above in mind, again EXCLUDING the “classic sound”, when that new EV Mustang debuts and it kicks the ass of any gasoline powered Mustang (which it will), you’re going to see an exodus from owners of gas powered Mustangs into the new EV Mustang - trust me.

I’m not saying everyone will exit a gas powered Mustang, nor am I saying the gas powered Mustang will be non-existent... What I’m saying is, when someone jumps into that future EV Mustang and it can go 0-75 in 3 secs, or whip your neck with INSTANT acceleration, those people who want that type of speed, exhilaration and power will be the ones jumping ship into that new platform.

I’m NOT referring to the up and coming MACH-E “Mustang Inspired” BS... I’m referring to the future EV Mustang that will eventually be in the Mustang heritage line... the 2-door sports car.

I don’t have a problem with a future 2-door sports coupe EV Mustang, I do however have an issue with a “Mustang Inspired” product branding on a humpback wannabe SUV or CUV-like type of EV vehicle. THAT is not and will never be a Mustang.
predict the future I can.... :sun:

EDIT:
Oh yea.... buh bye Tesla...

Last edited:

Sponsored

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
How exactly does a stick work in an electric? is there a clutch? or is it simply a paddle shifter, essentially. shifting without any depressing of a clutch
It's a full stick, I imagine with a clutch but I can't tell from the pictures. I found this good article explaining how it would work with an electric motor:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/22/ev-transmissions-are-coming-and-its-a-good-thing/

Basically, electric motors lose power and become less efficent at higher RPMs. A transmission would keep the motor in the power band, like ICE engines but with the power being at low RPMs. If you've seen videos of Tesla vs Hellcat drag races, you see the Tesla tear off of the line then lose power towards the end where the Hellcat starts to catch up. With a 6-speed the electric car would never let up and the Hellcat wouldn't stand a chance.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The refueling problem still isn't solved.

Until somebody makes a replaceable battery that can be offloaded to charge, EVs are no good for the long haul.
Or until fast chargers get installed everywhere. This was the same argument against gasoline powered cars. It all worked out.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Or until fast chargers get installed everywhere. This was the same argument against gasoline powered cars. It all worked out.
Until "fast" chargers can catch up to hydrology... it's not going to happen. Think of it this way. When you refuel the tank for your ICE, it's about like replacing air with a fully charged battery. You don't have to wait for the hydrocarbon chains to form. The only way to match that is a unified battery system, but everyone is trying to stretch the range.

For many people, that's fine. They may never drive more than 300 miles in a stretch without a long break to charge. For the folks who need to go 500 miles under a clock... it's a no go.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
ford-mustang-lithium-battery-electric-prototype-webasto-sema-build-15-jpg.jpg

Electric vehicles are NOT zero emissions. They give off heat and sound like anything else and simply shuffle the carbon emissions to a different location via high tension cable. The losses between coal and tire make the losses between gasoline and tire seem silly.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Until "fast" chargers can catch up to hydrology... it's not going to happen. Think of it this way. When you refuel the tank for your ICE, it's about like replacing air with a fully charged battery. You don't have to wait for the hydrocarbon chains to form. The only way to match that is a unified battery system, but everyone is trying to stretch the range.

For many people, that's fine. They may never drive more than 300 miles in a stretch without a long break to charge. For the folks who need to go 500 miles under a clock... it's a no go.
Of course. Nobody is saying that everybody has to switch to electric immediately. Like any new technology it takes time to spread and will become more viable to more people over time. We understand that you will be the last one to adopt, but that's no reason to argue against anybody else adopting the tech if it fits their lifestyle.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Every single parking lot/home in the country can be turned into a charging station vs only permitted gas stations that are a nightmare to convert away from being a gas station. Electric also means all of the energy is domestically created and sold in turn reducing the reliance on international oil.

Electric motors give us much more torque and power to lug our big suv's and trucks around without having to use smaller engines and turbos with a reliance on foreign oil. Electric makes too much sense for us to not hop on board to. I'm excited to see a manual transmission in an electric car and how this turns out. There was also an all electric car in Formula Drift this year and I know Formula E is gaining a lot of popularity as well.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase