Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Last edited:

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
No thanks. Added weight and cost not worth it. Hybrid sales are putrid for all models except Prius. Because its only sold as hybrid. When there is a gas version to compare price to it never works out. Only tree huggers by these things.
im with you on that.:tsk:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They might as well call it the Probe and make it front wheel drive if they are taking away the V8.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Development of the Probe began back in 1985 and by '87 there were prototypes on the street.
Outraged Mustang enthusiasts and the general public petitioned Ford with a massive letter writing campaign urging them not to ruin their beloved Mustang by converting it into a front wheel drive Mazda MX-6 clone.

Thankfully, Ford listened to the people and the rest is history.
This is what saved the Mustang...unbelievable enthusiast and aftermarket support for an iconic nameplate that over the following generations developed into today's wonderful S550.

The socio/cultural/economic climate is very different today than it is was in the mid-late 1980's.
Ford is too.
The imprint of advanced technology impacts all of us daily and many could survive without their devices and applications.
Somehow, in a not too distant past, we all survived.

This time however, there will not be an uprising of the masses to influence the future of the Mustang.
And if there was such a movement from the people, today's Ford would not listen anyway
They are now a "mobility company"...and many people are OK with this new corporate philosophy and direction.
I fully understand that advanced technology drives our current and future powertrain development.
I accept the facts, but I don't have to like the reality.

At 53, I guess I'm a relic from that past. "No replacement for displacement"
I will always have a couple of Mustangs in my garage, but they will never be hybrid or all electric powered.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Development of the Probe began back in 1985 and by '87 there were prototypes on the street.
Outraged Mustang enthusiasts and the general public petitioned Ford with a massive letter writing campaign urging them not to ruin their beloved Mustang by converting it into a front wheel drive Mazda MX-6 clone.

Thankfully, Ford listened to the people and the rest is history.
This is what saved the Mustang...unbelievable enthusiast and aftermarket support for an iconic nameplate that over the following generations developed into today's wonderful S550.

The socio/cultural/economic climate is very different today than it is was in the mid-late 1980's.
Ford is too.
The imprint of advanced technology impacts all of us daily and many could survive without their devices and applications.
Somehow, in a not too distant past, we all survived.

This time however, there will not be an uprising of the masses to influence the future of the Mustang.
And if there was such a movement from the people, today's Ford would not listen anyway
They are now a "mobility company"...and many people are OK with this new corporate philosophy and direction.
I fully understand that advanced technology drives our current and future powertrain development.
I accept the facts, but I don't have to like the reality.

At 53, I guess I'm a relic from that past. "No replacement for displacement"
I will always have a couple of Mustangs in my garage, but they will never be hybrid or all electric powered.

There have been so many in this thread that have gone off the deep end and posted knee jerk emotional responses to this announcement. Thank you for actually understanding the situation holistically and making a thoughtful response.

I am in the same boat as you, while i understand and can appreciate where the market is going, i am not ready for a hybrid mustang in my garage just yet. Perhaps that will change once i see the details and experience it but for now i am happy with suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
If they do away with the V8 completely they are shooting themselves in the foot and will ruin an American Icon. No way they are that stupid. At least I hope.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

If they do away with the V8 completely they are shooting themselves in the foot and will ruin an American Icon. No way they are that stupid. At least I hope.

Have any proof to back that statement besides your opinion?

It's all speculation man. You can guess what might happen and so can I. But speculation and what actually happens in the future is two COMPLETELY different things.

I can say, however, it looks like most of the people fearing for their beloved v8 aren't part of the younger generation. Ford is targeting the younger demographic now, more than ever. (I'd say between 25-35, give or take) and the younger demographic doesn't care so much about how big an engine is like people in the 70s and 80s did. If you notice, engines have been gradually downsizing over every decade. The general population has shifted from raw power to fuel economy and technology. And let's face it, the v8 is old tech and there just isn't a way to make a fuel efficient v8(yet?)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I disagree with both of those statements. I 100% know that Ford monitors these forums and considers what we think. Ford knows that many of us choose to buy a Mustang because we love what it is. If Ford decides to build a Mustang that people no longer love, they will reap the results. Ford announces something like a potential hybrid far ahead of time just so they have a chance to gage customer thoughts before investing too many resources on developing that product.

I was driving 80s Mustangs until Ford decided to build the Coyote in 2011. I never liked the 4.6. And that was a V8. I will never say never about something that might happen in the future, but if Ford doesn't make an engine I'm excited about there's no way I'll buy. I don't need a new car. I could drive my 2016 (probably with some mods) for the next 20+ years.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I would love for them to still offer a V8 even as a lower trim because I will eventually want to trade up for a V8 in a few years.
But if they don't then I wouldn't mind a TTV6 at all, if it's good enough to be on the new GT and Raptor, it's good enough for me.

I'd rather them continue having a Mustang than not at all, even if that means hybrid non-v8. As long as the performance and affordability is still there then I don't see the problem. Times change guys.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree with both of those statements. I 100% know that Ford monitors these forums and considers what we think. Ford knows that many of us choose to buy a Mustang because we love what it is. If Ford decides to build a Mustang that people no longer love, they will reap the results. Ford announces something like a potential hybrid far ahead of time just so they have a chance to gage customer thoughts before investing too many resources on developing that product.

I was driving 80s Mustangs until Ford decided to build the Coyote in 2011. I never liked the 4.6. And that was a V8. I will never say never about something that might happen in the future, but if Ford doesn't make an engine I'm excited about there's no way I'll buy. I don't need a new car. I could drive my 2016 (probably with some mods) for the next 20+ years.
Monitoring forums/looking at them and using them to solely drive decision making are two very different things.

Modern consumer companies gain insights from all different places, mainstream media, social media, focus groups, consumer insight data. This information is highly segmented and with lots of information about targeted demographic. While the forum could provide maybe a high level barometer it lacks the granularity and demographics to be effectively used for decision making.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Monitoring forums/looking at them and using them to solely drive decision making are two very different things.

Modern consumer companies gain insights from all different places, mainstream media, social media, focus groups, consumer insight data. This information is highly segmented and with lots of information about targeted demographic. While the forum could provide maybe a high level barometer it lacks the granularity and demographics to be effectively used for decision making.
I think we are saying nearly the same thing in two different ways. I didn't say the forums are Ford's only way of gathering information, or even imply that. And you are not saying that Ford doesn't listen to us, which is what I was trying to get across.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we are saying nearly the same thing in two different ways. I didn't say the forums are Ford's only way of gathering information, or even imply that. And you are not saying that Ford doesn't listen to us, which is what I was trying to get across.
I agree... any company that doesn't listen to what its consumers want (through whatever the forum (no pun intended)) is not long for this world.

I will however offer up one quote that seems relevant:

"if i always listened to my customers i would have built a faster horse" - Henry Ford

fast88fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT Premium PP
I wonder what this will do to the aftermarket community to some degree. Obviously it will not affect companies that make cosmetic or suspension type items as much but what will it do to a turbo or supercharger company? Will you be able to put one on an electric motor or the I assume much smaller motor that charges the battery that will make a difference in performance like adding one to a 5.0 does now? I guess we don't know enough to answer this now. Assuming the ecoboost 4 is still in the mustang maybe that is what the high horsepower loving folks will switch to.

The reason I ask this is that I have never seen a Tesla or Volt or Prius that had really been modded to make them much faster than stock. I assume they exist but I have never heard of them. I hear about Ford's, Honda's, GM's, Dodge's, ect... with normal engines that this happens to all the time. And if you did do this...how much would it cost compared to a supercharger or turbo setup? I assume it is not cheap or easy because more people would have done it otherwise, but of course as it became more popular it would go down in price.

Just my 2 cents

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP

I'm right there with ya (86 to 2014). No real reason to own a 4.6 and if they make anything smaller than a 5.0, I won't get that either. The only thing I might consider is some form of AWD, but I don't see that being very light no matter what they do.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.