corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I can say, however, it looks like most of the people fearing for their beloved v8 aren't part of the younger generation. Ford is targeting the younger demographic now, more than ever. (I'd say between 25-35, give or take) and the younger demographic doesn't care so much about how big an engine is like people in the 70s and 80s did.
Note also that the youngest generation is on average waiting longer to even start driving, never mind car buying. The need and even the interest isn't there, at least not yet.

The general population has shifted from raw power to fuel economy and technology.
Neither of which line up with enjoyment of the driving part. For your "general population", a car is little more than an appliance that lives outside instead of in the kitchen or the laundry room. Why on earth should those people, with those preferences, dictate the way fun-to-drive cars should be built?

And let's face it, the v8 is old tech and there just isn't a way to make a fuel efficient v8(yet?)
In my experience, 25 highway mpg in an over-3500 lb V8 car without resorting to cruise control and hypermiling techniques actually is pretty good fuel efficiency.

Norm
Sponsored

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
I wonder what this will do to the aftermarket community to some degree. Obviously it will not affect companies that make cosmetic or suspension type items as much but what will it do to a turbo or supercharger company? Will you be able to put one on an electric motor or the I assume much smaller motor that charges the battery that will make a difference in performance like adding one to a 5.0 does now? I guess we don't know enough to answer this now. Assuming the ecoboost 4 is still in the mustang maybe that is what the high horsepower loving folks will switch to.

The reason I ask this is that I have never seen a Tesla or Volt or Prius that had really been modded to make them much faster than stock. I assume they exist but I have never heard of them. I hear about Ford's, Honda's, GM's, Dodge's, ect... with normal engines that this happens to all the time. And if you did do this...how much would it cost compared to a supercharger or turbo setup? I assume it is not cheap or easy because more people would have done it otherwise, but of course as it became more popular it would go down in price.

Just my 2 cents
I did a search for Performance moddifications for Teslas and came up with:
https://unpluggedperformance.com/

Looks like cosmetic, suspension, and brakes, just as you suspected.

jai302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I can say, however, it looks like most of the people fearing for their beloved v8 aren't part of the younger generation. Ford is targeting the younger demographic now, more than ever. (I'd say between 25-35, give or take) and the younger demographic doesn't care so much about how big an engine is like people in the 70s and 80s did. If you notice, engines have been gradually downsizing over every decade. The general population has shifted from raw power to fuel economy and technology. And let's face it, the v8 is old tech and there just isn't a way to make a fuel efficient v8(yet?)
This isn't true. I'm 23 and went after the biggest engine on the market before it was discontinued (Viper). The second and third biggest engines in my garage are a 5.6L V8 and a 5.5 twin turbo V8. Next on my list is a CPO Continental GT with a twin turbo W12 to replace the 640.

Not all millennials are against gas powered engines - some of us are enthusiasts too. I've been lucky enough to own 13 cars in the past 6 years, out of which 2 were mustangs - a 2011 5.0 back when it just came out, and a 1964.5 289 V8 coupe and hope to buy my third once they have a DCT option for the GT350. I love manuals but Ive already got one so wouldn't mind getting a DCT Shelby. Having said that I'd NEVER buy a hybrid Mustang. The only electric car I'm going to buy will be one that I'm driven in when I'm 40+, either by a chauffeur or autonomous tech.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
This isn't true. I'm 23 and went after the biggest engine on the market before it was discontinued (Viper). The second and third biggest engines in my garage are a 5.6L V8 and a 5.5 twin turbo V8. Next on my list is a CPO Continental GT with a twin turbo W12 to replace the 640.

Not all millennials are against gas powered engines - some of us are enthusiasts too. I've been lucky enough to own 13 cars in the past 6 years, out of which 2 were mustangs - a 2011 5.0 back when it just came out, and a 1964.5 289 V8 coupe and hope to buy my third once they have a DCT option for the GT350. I love manuals but Ive already got one so wouldn't mind getting a DCT Shelby. Having said that I'd NEVER buy a hybrid Mustang. The only electric car I'm going to buy will be one that I'm driven in when I'm 40+, either by a chauffeur or autonomous tech.
There will always be exceptions. You, sir, are an exception!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm 23 and went after the biggest engine on the market before it was discontinued (Viper). The second and third biggest engines in my garage are a 5.6L V8 and a 5.5 twin turbo V8. Next on my list is a CPO Continental GT with a twin turbo W12 to replace the 640.

I'd NEVER buy a hybrid Mustang.
Let me guess: Dubai has more oil wells than electricity wells?

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I wonder what this will do to the aftermarket community to some degree. Obviously it will not affect companies that make cosmetic or suspension type items as much but what will it do to a turbo or supercharger company? Will you be able to put one on an electric motor or the I assume much smaller motor that charges the battery that will make a difference in performance like adding one to a 5.0 does now? I guess we don't know enough to answer this now. Assuming the ecoboost 4 is still in the mustang maybe that is what the high horsepower loving folks will switch to.
While I am NOT a proponent of a hybrid Mustang, I think there will be as much or more performance opportunities with electric. But like anything else, it will take time, so not good in the short term. Instead of bolting on turbos, you'll be rewinding motors and modifying software. The former may actually be easier and cheaper than with IC engines.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
There will always be exceptions. You, sir, are an exception!
Correction I think the younger generation honestly just doesn't care and will choose to use their 50k on things more important than a car. I'm sorry you guys, but the millennials interested in paying 40K for a car are the exception.

I can say that as a millennial myself and most of my friends... aren't looking to spend that much money on a car. I bet you money if the Hybrid has the similar pricing to the 2020 Base GT they'll walk right on back out the door or to that nice Loaded Hybrid Fusion for the Same price. Money, tech, and gadgets talk with this Generation...

I'll drive whatever and honestly don't care most times... People hate on my Hyundai Equus outside, but I like the car... Has all the gadgets of a luxury car and it's cheaper than the rest. Yeah we will drive anything, but you all are crazy if you all think Ford are targeting us with this car. If I wanted a hybrid i'll go somewhere else and pay less to save the earth. What I find laughable between all of this you all keep saying Ford is targeting us, but the older generation makes up a good chunk of hybrid cars. Meanwhile, the Mills make up the majority of EV, but that's none of my business I suppose.

Last edited:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Personally I don't see Ford dropping the GT, there is still too much demand. However, they are still faced with government regulations and fleet mandates. Pushing the GT more to the premium end, maybe even a little higher cost with more performance keeps that number smaller while they provide a new hybrid version for people that can get past the hangups of it having to be a V8. People that are just looking for reasonable power on the street and a fun car to drive. That is DEFINITELY doable with a hybrid. For people that are racing their cars, they probably (if they're smart) have another car they daily drive. Those people I'm sure won't see the attraction of a hybrid.

Just because you want something specific out of a car, doesn't mean that's the important factors to everyone else. It certainly doesn't make it a bad idea or a bad car. I know, I've switched to an EB and really don't give a crap about the people saying things about it, THEY DON"T DRIVE OR OWN MY CAR... I like it and that's what is important. I will also be one to purchase the new hybrid. I just have to keep my promise to myself and not suffer through the 1.0 version like I always end up doing.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
It's all really simple guys. Mustang as a model range needs to be financially feasible for Ford to be continued. If Ford would not keep on developing a Mustang that's more economical in terms of MPG and emissions then sales would start to fall and the point of no longer be an economically feasible model would come closer alarmingly quick.

By going with the times Ford keeps the Mustang alive. That's why the EcoBoost replaced the V6 and that is why a Hybrid EcoBoost will come in as well. The fact that Ford develops and offers these versions is a major part of how they can keep the Mustang brand alive. But obviously they are no fools and know that without a V8 the Mustang will loose a lot of its appeal and be in serious danger of extinction. So no way they will ever cancel the V8, it is here to stay for a long long time. The accompanying entry level versions will go with the times though. Yesterday V6, today EcoBoost I4, tomorrow a hybrid I4 and in the future an all electric battery or fuel cell version as well. And y'all should be very thankful for these machines, because they are what keep the sales numbers up and therefore what keep our precious V8's alive.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
We get it......You're rich.

I hear you are rich to and looking to give that 03 Mach 1 away...... Though I might be lying just a tad.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Only 71,000 miles in 13+ years and I'm the original owner. Last year I got T boned so now I'm rolling with a salvage title, some how the car survived. I'll be selling when I get my new 5.0 wether it's in a F150 or Mustang. I have had a half of dozen strangers ask me if I'm selling lol. I tell you what these modular 4.6's are durable I still see a ton of them around in California.
The 4.6 is just a good engine dohc or sohc. Very durable, they can take a lot of abuse.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's all really simple guys. Mustang as a model range needs to be financially feasible for Ford to be continued. If Ford would not keep on developing a Mustang that's more economical in terms of MPG and emissions then sales would start to fall and the point of no longer be an economically feasible model would come closer alarmingly quick.

By going with the times Ford keeps the Mustang alive. That's why the EcoBoost replaced the V6 and that is why a Hybrid EcoBoost will come in as well.
I think you have to also consider whether the cost of developing and producing a hybrid Mustang can truly be covered by the revenue generated by Mustang sales alone and still leave a profit. The Mustang needs to be too big a seller to be Ford's loss-leader to get people into the showrooms, and I have an uneasy feeling that it's borderline too small to support such divergent technologies.

Norm

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I think you have to also consider whether the cost of developing and producing a hybrid Mustang can truly be covered by the revenue generated by Mustang sales alone and still leave a profit. The Mustang needs to be too big a seller to be Ford's loss-leader to get people into the showrooms, and I have an uneasy feeling that it's borderline too small to support such divergent technologies.

Norm
The question of profit will only be able to be answered after the first few years of sales so until then its just speculation, but the addition of the hybrid mustang is not being offered as a lost leader, that is something companies would often do with a halo car such as a GT or a car that allows them access to racing (GT350 RC /GT4) but not something done with a volume car like a standard mustang.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The question of profit will only be able to be answered after the first few years of sales so until then its just speculation
Isn't that a question that Ford has to anticipate will be answered in the affirmative? I can see a round or two of study putting a temporary hold on release to the public unless they've already gone through whatever scenarios might either directly or indirectly reduce demand for hybrids and such and have a greenlight under those as well.

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.